Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks- newer (used) slingshot owner here! I purchased a 2015 SL which we love. The previous owner installed a cool air intake which appears to be triggering a check engine light every once in awhile (randomly every few weeks). I had one come on the day after I first bought it, but it cleared when I purchased a new battery and reinstalled... hasn't come back in 2 weeks but I'm told it will likely flip on again at some point. The code is 665565.

When I took it into the dealer they said that this code is likely due to the cool air intake installed but that its not actually causing any harm to the engine (just the computer detecting the air flow out of regular range I guess?). They advised removing the cool air intake and moving the Slingshot back to stock filter- price point for that is likely around ~$800. :cautious:

The code doesn't bother me as long as I know I can clear it easily and as long as its JUST that code. I was looking for any easy way to clear the engine code when this happens but coming up empty. I found this old thread in another forum that seems to indicate for some Slingshots doing an ignition on-off-on-off-on would clear the code. I can't seem to get this to work though and I can only find it documented working on 2016 and after... I'm not sure if that ACTUALLY is the case, but from what I can find online it seems folks using those models have had success but I can't find a documented working use case of that for a 2015. Am I doing it wrong, does this work on 2015 as well?

The other two workarounds I can find are: 1) unplugging the battery and leaving unplugged for a bit or 2) unplugging ECU for about 15 minutes and restarting (rinse and repeat until code is gone).

Obviously I really wish there was an easier way to clear codes like this vs going to the dealer every single time OR by unplugging battery OR pulling ECU... all just feels heavy handed for a basic task that you'd normally deal with via a traditional OBDII port on a car.

Anyone have any other tried-and-true methods for clearing codes without going to dealer on a 2015?

Should I just bite the bullet and remove the cool air intake and be done with this?

· Registered
189 Posts
Most of the time you can clear most 'codes' with engine on/off a couple of time.
Yeah my 2021 trigger wires codes miss fireing, etc if u go into ur ride command it will tell u code I was doing a heel toe tech road the brakes a little bit mine has hill assistance so the electrical detected a wire code for that after 2 to 3 starts after riding it goes away. Last one came on when my battery dropped for letting it sit all wi yet it was at 11v so after I plugged it in let it charge after 3 rides it went away

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks this is helpful! Sounds like Slingshot is pretty good with clearing codes on its own, but if you get one that hangs around for more than 3-4+ rides you're probably better off going dealer route to address the source of the issue- yeah?

· Registered
189 Posts
Thanks folks this is helpful! Sounds like Slingshot is pretty good with clearing codes on its own, but if you get one that hangs around for more than 3-4+ rides you're probably better off going dealer route to address the source of the issue- yeah?
Look in ur ride command go to diagnostics it will give u the code plus the Description on what the code is

· Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
@09kawi438 In our 2015 we don't have RideCommand but I can get the code easily enough by holding the odometer button when on the engine light selector. I found an uploaded tech code document here that I can take that code and look up manually. Thankful for this forum!

· Registered
5,911 Posts
Just bought a 2018 slingshot sl a week ago from the dealership with 2,300 miles....the code 65565 popped up yesterday.....after reading all the comments I guess I just have to ride it out and it'll go away?
Welcome to the "World of Slingshot Insanity"... Most code will clear with several on/off start of the key. If at first that doesnot work disconect the battery for a couple of minutes and that will clear the computer. Cheapest thing you can do before heading to the dealer. Enjoy your new ride.

· Registered
3 Posts
I disconnected the ground cable for about 30 min last night and hooked it back up and check engine light still pops up before start up with the same code...according to "GOOGLE" its the O2 sensor....if that's the case I'll just replace it but I really don't think it'll be a bad O2 sensor if the slingshot only has 2300 miles

· Registered
3 Posts
Okay for everyone that is struggling with the 65565 code.....I ended up ordering a scanner tool from the website below.....I was able to hook it up to my slingshot and clear the code....I've put about 300 miles and the check engine hasn't popped up anymore....really good diagnostic tool to have for future purposes.....the tool was $189

· Registered
52 Posts
Okay for everyone that is struggling with the 65565 code.....I ended up ordering a scanner tool from the website below.....I was able to hook it up to my slingshot and clear the code....I've put about 300 miles and the check engine hasn't popped up anymore....really good diagnostic tool to have for future purposes.....the tool was $189

Thanks for passing on information regarding this tool. Reading online and this forum on various tricks clearing out a knock sensor code, not easy.
Considering it's $189, functioning like the dealers diagnostic tool. Any other users out there have any comments about this Code Reader ?.
Planning on getting one within next couple days. I did see on Amazon and other sites this tool for less ($98-$149) however not having the proper end connector.
I guess why it cost a little bit more. Knock sensor just occurred couple months ago. As others, premium gas used, low mileage (7000K) and so on.
Any recommendations appreciated regarding current code and reader as well.

· Registered
101 Posts
I have a ‘15, so this may not apply to newer models, but the knock sensor code does not clear by disconnecting the battery. After 3 trips to the dealer (who cleared it at no charge), and with clearly no problems (no engine knock, no change in mileage) I decided to just live with it and check the codes from time to time to be sure there’s nothing new. Thanks for the OBD tool link. I’ll look into it.

· Registered
52 Posts
Went ahead ordering and receiving OBD Code tool . Haven't tried it yet. Waiting for warmer weather to arrive. Currently battery on trickle charge. I figured tool will allow me viewing the other parameters on engine performance. BTW, Slingshot only has 7K on odometer and using 93 octane. Otherwise, in mint condition.
Message for VITOLOW or anyone in the know , manual states to "turn on" for Code tool for a reading.
Is this with the key turned to ON position or actually have engine running ? Or anyone who may happen to know.
Whenever I read the codes from my other vehicles, usually I turn key to on (without starting engine) and plug in code reader addressing issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts