Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I bought my Base Slingshot I took the Entertainment option to have the BU camera and stereo system. But like many of you, I am not really satisfy with the sound quality coming out of those speakers.

So I bought a Kenwood Amp + speakers and a pre-amp subwoofer to upgrade my sound system. But it seems the cable coming out the stock radio are totally different from what I got with my Amp. How do I connect everything? Is there adaptors I could by to connect everything without having to change the stock radio?

Thanks for your help!!!
Alex

·
Registered
293 Posts
It's no fun, let me tell you. Take that head unit out, and you'll find the main component of the radio is behind it. Take those screws out and pull that component out the best you can to get to the wiring harness that goes into it. Splice it in to the correct colored wires using the chart below. Don't even bother with rear speaker outputs, they don't work. Kick yourself for spending $2150.00 more than the stock radio is worth.
Speaker wiring 1.jpg

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thank you for this!! I will print this list and try to figure it out properly. And yes, other than having the BU camera that is quite useful, the radio and speakers system is clearly not performing up to my expectations for the price paid. Looking forward to complete the installation of my new amp + speakers system... Thanks again!!

·
Just say "NO" to PIMPS!
1,777 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Couldn't you just buy an amp that will take high level inputs?
Sure if the amp you want to purchase has that option. There's multiple ways to overcome the conversion now. This option I mentioned has an aux function to add another device such as a siriusxm radio. Depends on what your future plans are.

·
Just say "NO" to PIMPS!
1,777 Posts
Install a Bluetooth connected amp with upgraded speakers...will sound 10 times better
I'll agree with 10 times easier! Not convinced it will sound better than direct wiring - unless you add too many noise inducers inline. How do Bluetooth amps turn on? Are they wired to be on with the ignition?

·
I may not be right but I can sound like it
4,534 Posts
I'll agree with 10 times easier! Not convinced it will sound better than direct wiring - unless you add too many noise inducers inline. How do Bluetooth amps turn on? Are they wired to be on with the ignition?
Mine connects from my iPhone automatically and has worked flawlessly since installed. New speakers and pods made for the much better sound.

·
Just say "NO" to PIMPS!
1,777 Posts
Bill - you used the smart method! Lesser take the hard route! Right now I use a JL media controller with IPOD music and GPS voice. I'd really like GPS maps in dash.

Can the SL HU send bluetooth audio to the BT amp?

The new recessed double din dash mount has poked the coals again. I had a GPS double din but the water would run right on to it from the new roof, so out it came and the JL is waterproof.

·
I may not be right but I can sound like it
4,534 Posts
My stereo guy says the Polaris head unit is the problem causing poor sound. He hooked it up thru stock head unit Bluetooth to amp then direct to amp. I listened both ways and was no comparison without Polaris HU. Direct to amp was amazingly better.

·
Just say "NO" to PIMPS!
1,777 Posts
As all know the Polaris HU is trash. The prime reason I wanted a blank slate base. This way I could waste money hand over fist and blame myself! Could'a bought a MX-5 if I wanted easy! LOL!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Or a Stinger SGN141 ... Resolved many issues with my direct speaker connection to my Fosgate Rockford amp... Ground loop buzz, turn on thump, muddy sound,.etc. Available on Amazon and many other sites.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My original install used the the high level speaker inputs to a Rockford Fosgate amp. According to the manufacture the + speaker lead is used along with chassis (radio) ground. This left me with a ground loop hum/buzz and the amp did not turn on automatically as indicated by the manufacture specs. I tried a few different methods to delay amp turn on, however, the low level hum was annoying. Using a high level to rca converter (Stinger SGN-141) with a remote turn on signal resolved all my issues. The sound is also better and we (the other half) are very pleased with the sound quality. Even with the factory head unit. Now if it would just quit cutting out due to the crummy USB connector!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts