Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How awesome would it be if Polaris offered an option when purchasing the Slingshot that would allow you to take delivery of the vehicle at the factory and take a tour. Is this something anyone else would be interested in? Would you pay extra to do this? I certainly would. Maybe this would offset the vehicle freight charge :)

I was very close to pulling the trigger on a C7 Corvette a few months ago before I got the chance to drive the Slingshot. However one of the benefits of ordering the C7 was the ability to pick it up at the factory, see your vehicle being built, and take a tour of the factory. Here's some information from Chevy's site:

TOUR THE PLANT, SEE YOUR VEHICLE BEING BUILT, CUSTOMIZE YOUR STINGRAY AND MORE

You don’t just stop by the dealer and decide between a station wagon and a Corvette. You crave a Corvette. You aspire to one day be a Corvette owner. And when you finally buy one, the experience should be like any other. That’s why Chevrolet offers a variety of options when ordering and taking delivery of your new 2014 Corvette Stingray.

Everything from a personalized interior console plaque to watching your exact vehicle being built along the assembly line at the Bowling Green Assembly Plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky. And right across the street, you can take delivery of your newly finished car on the showroom floor of the National Corvette Museum.
Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Yeah I would be all about it! It would be a blast to place the order, plan a trip, checkout the factory and drive it home. It would be one of those experiences you would never forget :)

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
That would be cool, but I am seeing one big problem with this....

How are you going to drive it home in November, December, January, February, & March....?

Spirit Lake IA is pretty cold :coldfeet: during those months and I hear it snows there too sometimes...! ;)

"I tell ya what there hey.... the hosiers that pick these units up better bring their snow suits and boots.... don't you know!"

With that being said, I would love to see a factory tour video or a Slingshot episode on "How It's Made".

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I know someone who took a tour after they bought their Z06, they met all the engineers, got a signed poster, etc, etc. It sounded like a cool experience, I would absolutely love something like that!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Fantastic idea! (For ~9 months of the year, anyway).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
541 Posts
I'd be all in for a factory tour. I think it'd be really neat to see these machines go from bits and pieces to the finished product.

·
Registered
105 Posts
You can get a tour now, just call up the plant and schedule one. I know a lot of people that have taken tours. Taking home a Slingshot off the line... probably not going to happen.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
That question I asked last week when I took the tour. They said they are not set up for watching your SS being built, about 5 hours, or ready to have you pick it up at the factory. They said the requests have been numerous and they are going to figure a way both can be done.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
That question I asked last week when I took the tour. They said they are not set up for watching your SS being built, about 5 hours, or ready to have you pick it up at the factory. They said the requests have been numerous and they are going to figure a way both can be done.
Did I get you correct. Polaris SPOX said it takes 5 hours to build one Slingshot? Do they have more than one assembly line ?

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Lets hope so........
They may not have more than one or two assembly lines operating until they gauge demand. 5hrs per unit @ 24hrs per day @ 30 days per month = 144 units per month on one line. It would not surprise me if they are producing only 250 to no more than 450 units per month. That's my SWAG. What's yours?

·
Registered
105 Posts
They may not have more than one or two assembly lines operating until they gauge demand. 5hrs per unit @ 24hrs per day @ 30 days per month = 144 units per month on one line. It would not surprise me if they are producing only 250 to no more than 450 units per month. That's my SWAG. What's yours?
Math is a little funky there FloridaJoe.

First it doesn't take 5 hours to build one and second they wouldn't make only one unit at a time, there would be a whole line going. They don't have a small group of people building this from the bottom up and then go on to the next unit, it is an assembly LINE so there is a whole stream of units coming down it. Even if it was 5 hours you'd have to figure how many spots on the line there were and how often they roll off the line.

I have heard that units are supposed to roll off the line about every 15 minutes and that the line is usually running 6 days a week.

Total amount of time on one unit doesn't mean much of anything. The number of units on a line, how long it is, and the time between stations is what is important.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts