Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying a slingshot but I'm curious about how much attention it receives. I found some discussions from years ago but I'm wondering if things have changed.

Do you still get a lot of attention driving them since they've been out for several years?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I've had mine since 2016...rode several brands of Motorcycles and still do. We travel with other bikes and when fueling my wife gets all kinds of questions. Kids love it...I didn't purchase for attention but it sure came with it..when the Slingshot came out and having a dealership in my town, it was a no brainier, got it love it and accommodates me only having a prosthetic leg..so yea people and still looking at it and saying "dam it's batman".

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I'm considering buying a slingshot but I'm curious about how much attention it receives. I found some discussions from years ago but I'm wondering if things have changed.

Do you still get a lot of attention driving them since they've been out for several years?
I have had mine since Feb 2015 and 99,000 miles --- 80% of them around my home area --- La Porte, IN 25,000 population. Been in 4 major 4th of July parades and just about every time I go out for the evening/day somebody comes up to talk. This evening we had a few of the guys bring the rides out to 'cat the drag' up and down main street. I thought the young lady who was with her boy friend in the Pickup be side me was going to hop in and let him ride by him self. So yes they still get more than there share of attention. Girls for 8 to 88 love them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have had mine since Feb 2015 and 99,000 miles --- 80% of them around my home area --- La Porte, IN 25,000 population. Been in 4 major 4th of July parades and just about every time I go out for the evening/day somebody comes up to talk. This evening we had a few of the guys bring the rides out to 'cat the drag' up and down main street. I thought the young lady who was with her boy friend in the Pickup be side me was going to hop in and let him ride by him self. So yes they still get more than there share of attention. Girls for 8 to 88 love them.
Thanks for the replies. I'm going on a test ride on Monday and hopefully I will love it. I stopped riding, and I'm hoping the slingshot will be as fun.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I'm going on a test ride on Monday and hopefully I will love it. I stopped riding, and I'm hoping the slingshot will be as fun.
Don't 'test ride' unless you take your check book. Don't know what your looking for but there are a lot of very good used ones out there for sale. Most with very low miles and lots of extra mods. Where is your home location?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don't 'test ride' unless you take your check book. Don't know what your looking for but there are a lot of very good used ones out there for sale. Most with very low miles and lots of extra mods. Where is your home location?
I'm definitely going to buy used. I'm renting the slingshot through a rental shop so I can't buy one on Monday. I know better then to bring a method of payment after a test ride. I've made that mistake in the past.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are there any years I should avoid?

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
Are there any years I should avoid?
2015 thru 2019 are all pretty similar, minor changes and mostly color. All have the GM 2.4 Ecotech and the 5 speed stick matched to it. This link shows the colors for the Slingshots. Polaris Slingshot Timeline History – All Model Years & Colors (slingmods.com) A friend just bought a 2016 Blue/white special edition with only 3000 miles in prefect condition. And a very good price. If your willing to travel to pick it up --- some great deals out there if you watch the different markets. Where are you located? I'm in La Porte, IN --- just South of Lake Michigan.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Yep !! I get everything from "thumbs up" signs, to people waving while I'm moving, to folks rolling down their car windows to tell me how awesome it looks, etc. etc. The attention is pretty consistent when I stop for almost anything like gas, groceries, food, etc. I had a lady come up to me in the parking lot of the supermarket to ask a bunch of questions and actually ask me for a ride. She was good looking too ! If I were still single, it might have resulted in more than a ride around the block !

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm 71 and not a Tom Cruise look alike but had a car with two much younger females pull up along side of me and the passenger flashed me. Just saying it wasn't me so it had to be the Slingshot.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,850 Posts
Having done a trip last year from Colorado to Michigan...my time frame was off by almost 4 hours because I had so many conversations while I was getting gas. The more you do to it, the more questions you get.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I'm 71 and not a Tom Cruise look alike but had a car with two much younger females pull up along side of me and the passenger flashed me. Just saying it wasn't me so it had to be the Slingshot.
Almost worth the price of the Slingshot... All the girls 8 to 88 love the Slingshot.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When driving it we always get attention/questions at parking lots and gas pumps. I knew this all along but...last week I sat in the slingshot while my wife went in Walmart. I was literally astonished by all of the people making comments as they noticed it. They are real attention getters, so if you are shy or hermit like you shouldn't get one. 😉

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in Rancho Mirage, CA, the land of Lambo's, Ferrari's, Bently's and Rolls Royce's. When in traffic, my Slingshot will draw more attention than any of the others. I feel funny as my Slingshot cost a lot less than any of the ones listed above but draws more attention. The Lambo and Ferrari guys want to race all the time and I can stay with them to about 60, then I'm done and they are gone.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had mine since 2015 a nice SL that I got at a great price with only 2000 miles on it I've put another 10 grand in mods into it. ONE thing for sure, most everything is aftermarket and very pricey. That said, it's terrific riding fun. You do have to keep an eye out for the "lookers"....I was literally run off the road by another driver who was more interested in me than staying in her lane ad she was gawking. I have come out of grocery stores as well a a local restaurant only to find folks actually sitting in it or taking pics of their kids behind the wheel. The younger guys (as well as a few vintage ones like me) want to race you....but all in all it's good fun. Only real issue is hydroplaneing in the rain and bumble bees in the forehead at speed good goggles or glasses a must....faceshield for interstate over 70mph. With bad balance due too vertigo, no more two wheel bikes for me but this is the next best thing. ....add a supercharger and 305 on the back and it's plenty quick. You will be happy regardless in so many different ways and occasions. One more piece of advice...know your machine before you ask it to do more than you are ready for......and get your ABS system bled.
ENJOY!

·
Registered
69 Posts
SpringRider, I love your reply! I have a v8 infiniti that is faster than my slinger. Sometimes I embarrass the 'kids' with the infiniti, but most times I'm like you and let them go. Let them 'clear the way'. As for attention, ditto to Buckster. Being a long time biker before the slinger, at restaurants I always try to park where I can keep an eye on my machine. I also have seen people set their kids in the drivers seat for a couple pics. The average gas refill stop is 5 minutes longer than it takes to actually fill the tank. Didn't buy it for that, it replaced my last 2 wheeler, but I don't mind.

·
Registered
20 Posts

A lot and it's a freaking blast either way. I have had corvettes and high end camaros - nothing is more fun but get the Manual Trans!!! It makes all the difference in feeling connected to the road. Auto trans seems counter intuitive to this vehicle!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts