Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As anyone can tell from reading this forums we the first buyers think the SS is very hot. How hot is it? Dealerships, how many reservations with deposits have you taken? It would be interesting to know if the buying public is putting money down on a reservation before the SS demo arrives at the dealership. You do not have to list your dealer name. Big Brother does indeed monitor this site...
Or if you are a buyer and have made a reservation and know your reservation number share that information.

I am reservation #5 at Best Buy Vehicle in Ft. Pierce, Florida. They have eight reservations with deposits and expect an additional four this weekend. So in Central Florida the SS is hot.

·
Registered
843 Posts
As anyone can tell from reading this forums we the first buyers think the SS is very hot. How hot is it? Dealerships, how many reservations with deposits have you taken? It would be interesting to know if the buying public is putting money down on a reservation before the SS demo arrives at the dealership. You do not have to list your dealer name. Big Brother does indeed monitor this site...
Or if you are a buyer and have made a reservation and know your reservation number share that information.

I am reservation #5 at Best Buy Vehicle in Ft. Pierce, Florida. They have eight reservations with deposits and expect an additional four this weekend. So in Central Florida the SS is hot.
I have always said that the best review comes from the owners and not just sellers !! I can not wait to read the real comments from those who have a SS on this forum!!!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Its a new market segment and most dealerships are launching with 3 vehicles. Figure probably 10 dealers a state average and you are at roughly 1500 vehicles with owners jumping blind faith into purchase. For something that is purely a toy I think thats a solid launch.

Now if it is a hot product will remain to be seen. The primary conversion markets are older motorcycle drivers which judging by this forum seems to be the primary target and younger drivers being tempted away from traditional sports cars for something cheaper but equally fun. If it sticks it will probably transition into a well rounded market and the middle will fall into place. If it doesnt stick a lot of the older drivers will fip these things in favor of the comfort of cars which create low resale and no one else wanting to jump into the market.

Either way it goes though the slingshot has essentially carved out a market that nothing can compete against and it will probably be at least five years before anything can unless a big name has prototypes already in the wings just waiting for some one else to make a run first.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assuming your analysis is correct with 1,500 units being shipped to dealers across the country it is a solid launch. But more than likely it is way less than 1,000 units maybe closer to 600 units based on the number of dealers participating. Still a solid launch. Taken from many conversations on this site buyers are still making deposits on the first shipment which is October delivery. The agreement between Polaris and the dealership is 3 units on the first shipment 1-base unit and 2-SS units and 1of the SS units must be used as a demo. So each dealer has two units to sell. I am reading here that the only area in the country that has taken 10-12 reservations is in central Florida needless to say year round riding. The point of the post is since I am located in central Florida I thought the action was hot all over the country like here but from reading this forum I now believe that the hot action on the SS is more centralized to the warmer climates in the country like Florida and maybe south Texas. Polaris, the demo must hit the showrooms floors to make the SS the success that all of us on this site believe it to be. I heard one dealer state that those that buy now are going to be amased that the resell value of the SS should not decrease for at least the first year maybe even increase a little due to the low amount of units on the market. Hope that to be the case.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Zero have been sold. Having a $500 deposit down does not mean that it is sold although it is a good way to tell.

None have been delivered. Starting up new production can be difficult although Polaris must have significant experience with this.

If they sell 1500 of these the first year I would be impressed. As much as you may now want to recognize it, there already is a reverse trike on the market supported by a major manufacturer-Spyder. It sells for $5k less than a Slingshot and has performance specs that meet or exceed.

Now you can tell me how a Spyder and a Slingshot are so different that they can't be compared. They are both toys competing for discretionary income, so they do compete with each other.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Assuming your analysis is correct with 1,500 units being shipped to dealers across the country it is a solid launch. But more than likely it is way less than 1,000 units maybe closer to 600 units based on the number of dealers participating. Still a solid launch. Taken from many conversations on this site buyers are still making deposits on the first shipment which is October delivery. The agreement between Polaris and the dealership is 3 units on the first shipment 1-base unit and 2-SS units and 1of the SS units must be used as a demo. So each dealer has two units to sell. I am reading here that the only area in the country that has taken 10-12 reservations is in central Florida needless to say year round riding. The point of the post is since I am located in central Florida I thought the action was hot all over the country like here but from reading this forum I now believe that the hot action on the SS is more centralized to the warmer climates in the country like Florida and maybe south Texas. Polaris, the demo must hit the showrooms floors to make the SS the success that all of us on this site believe it to be. I heard one dealer state that those that buy now are going to be amased that the resell value of the SS should not decrease for at least the first year maybe even increase a little due to the low amount of units on the market. Hope that to be the case.
The dealership where I put my deposit down has sold 7, meaning deposits are down, as of 8/11. That is a single dealership mind you, not regional. And this in the middle of the snow-belt. I can't say how many have sold but it seems like VanWall Powersports is doing pretty ok.

We have 5 dealerships carrying the SS in Iowa counting the Omaha, NE one. It's on the Missouri River so I bogarted it in my count :)

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Zero have been sold. Having a $500 deposit down does not mean that it is sold although it is a good way to tell.

None have been delivered. Starting up new production can be difficult although Polaris must have significant experience with this.

If they sell 1500 of these the first year I would be impressed. As much as you may now want to recognize it, there already is a reverse trike on the market supported by a major manufacturer-Spyder. It sells for $5k less than a Slingshot and has performance specs that meet or exceed.

Now you can tell me how a Spyder and a Slingshot are so different that they can't be compared. They are both toys competing for discretionary income, so they do compete with each other.
I have not been on a Spyder and have not driven a SS but I put my money on the SS because there is not at the moment another vehicle on the market at the price like the SS. The Spyder does not appeal to me because it is just another three wheel motorcycle. The SS appeals to me because I don't ride on it I ride in it with my butt 5" above the pavement. I become
part of the machine. It is unique. For the price at the moment there is no other machine that will do that for me.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I have not been on a Spyder and have not driven a SS but I put my money on the SS because there is not at the moment another vehicle on the market at the price like the SS. The Spyder does not appeal to me because it is just another three wheel motorcycle. The SS appeals to me because I don't ride on it I ride in it with my butt 5" above the pavement. I become
part of the machine. It is unique. For the price at the moment there is no other machine that will do that for me.
That why i buy a T-Rex...Unique on the road and nothing more attractive...but now with the come of Polaris i ask my self if the T-Rex are 40,000$ more beautiful than the SS....NOPE! So i go with the SS next spring!

·
Registered
702 Posts
The primary conversion markets are older motorcycle drivers which judging by this forum seems to be the primary target and younger drivers being tempted away from traditional sports cars for something cheaper but equally fun.
Interesting; I'm the former and I got the impression from the styling that it's aimed at the young boy racer type.

If it doesnt stick a lot of the older drivers will fip these things in favor of the comfort of cars which create low resale and no one else wanting to jump into the market.
Why would market success or failure change how comfortable the SS compared to a car?

·
Registered
702 Posts
As much as you may now want to recognize it, there already is a reverse trike on the market supported by a major manufacturer-Spyder. It sells for $5k less than a Slingshot and has performance specs that meet or exceed.
Except one is bike that can't lean (I tried one and hated it), and the other is a car.

I do agree though that they both compete for the same $.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Interesting; I'm the former and I got the impression from the styling that it's aimed at the young boy racer type.

Why would market success or failure change how comfortable the SS compared to a car?

some people are looking for something easier on them then their current bike. i have seen a few people on here say that. If its not all that more easy and comfortable they will probably just swap out to cars, thats what i would do since thats essentially what this thing is minus a wheel and safety features.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Just another data point FWIW.
My dealer said he's getting 6 but holding on to the first one for demo and display. I ordered 2nd day after launch with a non-refundable 1k deposit. This dealer apparently anticipates big demand. I'm not the type that gets buyers remorse so didn't care about the non refundable part.

I think the SS is in a unique position. I thought MAYBE I'd get a Spyder for a few years now but when the SS was announced, I didn't even hesitate before plunking down the deposit. They are that different.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Just another data point FWIW.
My dealer said he's getting 6 but holding on to the first one for demo and display. I ordered 2nd day after launch with a non-refundable 1k deposit. This dealer apparently anticipates big demand. I'm not the type that gets buyers remorse so didn't care about the non refundable part.

I think the SS is in a unique position. I thought MAYBE I'd get a Spyder for a few years now but when the SS was announced, I didn't even hesitate before plunking down the deposit. They are that different.
Im not sure if non refundable deposits are legal and if the dealer is soooo sure about big demand why wouldnt he do a 500 REFUNDABLE deposit like mine and most dealers out there?
No matter how hyped up you are for the product, its still sight unseen and I would want a test drive before committing non refundable dollars.
You may not care and have no buyers remorse or whatever, but its just bad business to give someone that much money to play with on a sight unseen product. Plus he cant even commit to a definite delivery date.
Im on your side of course, just looking out for you so take it for what its worth.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Im not sure if non refundable deposits are legal and if the dealer is soooo sure about big demand why wouldnt he do a 500 REFUNDABLE deposit like mine and most dealers out there?
No matter how hyped up you are for the product, its still sight unseen and I would want a test drive before committing non refundable dollars.
You may not care and have no buyers remorse or whatever, but its just bad business to give someone that much money to play with on a sight unseen product. Plus he cant even commit to a definite delivery date.
Im on your side of course, just looking out for you so take it for what its worth.
I suspect that you're correct about non refundable deposits but I was so happy about finding the perfect answer to my toy choice dilemma. I was going to put in an order for an M4 that same week and feeling a bit jittery because the Bimmer was not really what I wanted (an X-bow was but is unavailable in US) . The SS was closer to what I wanted than the M4 and saved me 50K in the process! So I just blew off the BS non refundable deposit issue as insignificant in the big picture. Getting an early reservation slot was more important in my moment of weakness :wacky:

·
Registered
620 Posts
My dealer has 14 deposits and has offers for $2K to trade my slot back to 7th (I am #1)... it ain't for sale
I think that's funny , I sent my money by wire to the dealer a week b4 the unveil of it at the dealer show . The sales guy not the boss really didn't know what I had just put money down for and thought I was a little off buying it sight unseen ,from a 1/2 ass photo of it . Hope I made the right move .

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My dealer has 14 deposits and has offers for $2K to trade my slot back to 7th (I am #1)... it ain't for sale
OMG!!! We could start a trade back my slot (TBMS) program on this forum. Hey we got a #1 slot, what will you give for a #2 slot, what about a #3??? Get your offers in.
Polaris would really lose it if TBMS's were going for several thousand dollars each. Second thought, I have a #5 slot for $25.00 if anyone is interested?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts