Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one had the factory battery last more than 4 years. My 2016 SL has been in service since 12-15. I have had a few times when the battery was not strong enough to turn over the engine. I hooked up my battery tender and within 24 hours, I was rolling again. Past experience tells me that I should be thinking about a replacement. Anyone got suggestions.

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I have a 2015 base Slingshot I got in June 2015. When I went to install my Hahn Stage 2 Turbo setup at the end of 2017, I bought an AGM 700 CCA battery from Rural King for around $100. It's a Group 26, IIRC compared to the Group 24 that came in the early Slingshots, but it still fits on the original battery mount that came on the 2015/16 models. As a 2016, you should have the Group 24 battery, I think. If you live near a Rural King store, I'd check with them since I've seen that AGM battery for as low as $90 or so. I actually still have my original battery and have placed the RK battery on a charger every 6 months or so. I really thought I'd need to replace the original long before now.
If, by some chance, you have the newer, smaller motorcycle battery, I don't have a recommendation.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Has any one had the factory battery last more than 4 years. My 2016 SL has been in service since 12-15. I have had a few times when the battery was not strong enough to turn over the engine. I hooked up my battery tender and within 24 hours, I was rolling again. Past experience tells me that I should be thinking about a replacement. Anyone got suggestions.
I replaced my 2015 factory battery last week not because it died but because it was 5 years old; I didn't want a failure on the road. I replaced it with a NAPA series 26 maintenance free.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all who replied. Like Capt Bob, I don't want to have a failure while traveling. I have been trying to get the latest recall completed but weather and health issues have delayed me. Again, Thanks to all. Robocop1.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I put a aftermarket LED lights on my slingshot. I found it the aftermarket lights with remote control will steadily drain down the battery I put disconnect switches on it to stop it from doing that.I disconnect power switch stops the receivers from slowly siphoning off power from the battery after that no more problems.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I got mine in April 2015 and the battery’s still good. I do plan to replace it this Spring, just to be safe.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my 2016 in November of 2015. I'm still using the original battery with no problems. Back when it was draining down every few days I thought the battery was shot. I did a load test and found the LED light remote control receivers were sucking the power. Kill switches fixed the problem.
I also found my strobing led halos at a certain strobe setting triggered my knock sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts