Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, got my 1st slingshot the other day. 2018 SLR SE leftover with 170miles. Question is how hard do you drive them. I have a very heavy foot. Burnouts, banging gears etc. can they take the abuse???

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey guys, got my 1st slingshot the other day. 2018 SLR SE leftover with 170miles. Question is how hard do you drive them. I have a very heavy foot. Burnouts, banging gears etc. can they take the abuse???
Congrats Newtoy.- I have a 16 SS SL (stock) I am from the old school and believe in the tach to prevent you from over revving the motor. As for the tires, I get about 10-12K on front and about 8K on rear (with a light foot). About what I get on my Harley's. Guess the best advice is to become familiar with handling characteristics (find a big empty parking lot) and get use to shift pattern and wear seat belt and helmet. Have fun and enjoy a go-kart ride in an almost sports car.(LOL)

·
Premium Member
2020 R SlingShot
49 Posts
I like to push it in the twisties but otherwise, I am pretty much a citizen.
My 2020R Man is one month old today. I pressed the Slingshot button for the first time last night.
'Oly chit!!! I put down rubber in the first three gears. I put it back in Comfort mode since I had a couple of beers in me.

Have fun but watch out for road hazards. The SS does not offer much in the area of creature protection. IOWs - hell ain't half full.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m on mine pretty hard. Sideways 1st 2nd gear. Wondering if I’m gonna have problems 🤦🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I routinely accelerate hard enough to have the rear end want to slide around on me. I have a turbo and usually run a 305 or 315 tire on the rear, so the extra HP and the wider tire both tend to contribute to the rear tire breaking away.
IMO, the Slingshot has been remarkably immune to hard driving. The most common drivetrain problem is some of the trans missions develop; synchro problems, presumably from less than clean shifts, but I don't know the real cause. This problem has been reported on other forums fro vehicles that use the same transmission, so it's not a Slingshot-specific problem.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I’m on mine pretty hard. Sideways 1st 2nd gear. Wondering if I’m gonna have problems 🤦🏼‍♂️
Guaranteed to hydroplane in the rain. Mine did on a two lane rutted road. Was on a group ride. Was at back of pack. Slowed down from 65 to 30 mph. Went off road and slide about 100 yards. Luckily, was able to get back on road. Rain was so hard , group did not know I lost it. Scary but survived it. Enjoy your ride but Please be careful on wet roads. Not to insult your driving abilities but as a previous traffic accident investigator, I assure you that hydroplaning will happen.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can't believe how fun my 5-speed 2020 R model is. I have never enjoyed driving anything more and I had a Corvette, Datsun 280zx turbo & 2010 SS Camaro 6-speed. It's just a blast...every corner I bang the gas a bit & let the rear tire slide a few feet then it grabs the road and off I go. It is more fun than humans should be allowed. It really offers the driver confidence and I couldn't be happier. Yes the GM engine is known and reliable but it also sounds like the old engine it is....The new Polaris tuned engine from the Razor is a beast and has a great deal of military use/experience - it's likely to be very reliable and fixable over time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I cruise down the coast a bit but I push my sling pretty hard in the twisties. Keep in mind I also baby the hell out of it with good fluids and more than routine maintenance. On the bored nights I'll pick up a six pack, turn on the tunes and change my oil and other fluids even thought I may be 2-3k miles from needing it. Also If I am driving like an A-Hole I always make sure to make time to do an extra lap or so on the way home to let it cool off. Be good to the sling and it will be good to you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
We took my 2018 SLR to Sturgis last year. We went on the Iron Mountain Road (Google it) twice. Once following my son on his motorcycle. And a second time with him in the passenger seat to take pics. I had him screaming "Dad you're gonna kill us." And this by a man that's has Secret Service driver training.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I drive my 2015. SL HARD, but don’t abuse it. 36,000 miles so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I cruise down the coast a bit but I push my sling pretty hard in the twisties. Keep in mind I also baby the hell out of it with good fluids and more than routine maintenance. On the bored nights I'll pick up a six pack, turn on the tunes and change my oil and other fluids even thought I may be 2-3k miles from needing it. Also If I am driving like an A-Hole I always make sure to make time to do an extra lap or so on the way home to let it cool off. Be good to the sling and it will be good to you!

I think I am ready to try it on the coast up here in Nor Cal. How it handle on the tight turns? The 1 for me it will be, starting probably by SF south towards Santa Cruz...

·
Registered
39 Posts
I think I am ready to try it on the coast up here in Nor Cal. How it handle on the tight turns? The 1 for me it will be, starting probably by SF south towards Santa Cruz...
The sling stays planted pretty well in the tight turns. Downshift before entering and once your near straight hit the gas and fly out of the corner like a Slingshot! Be safe and drive at your limits. Your limit will increase over time

I was on the 1 from Ventura down to Torrance. Where are you in NorCal? We can meet halfway for a beer lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
The sling stays planted pretty well in the tight turns. Downshift before entering and once your near straight hit the gas and fly out of the corner like a Slingshot! Be safe and drive at your limits. Your limit will increase over time

I was on the 1 from Ventura down to Torrance. Where are you in NorCal? We can meet halfway for a beer lol

Thanks for the advice! I look forward to it...

Im in the SF Bay Area. When I plan that long Hwy 1 trip on the coast to So Cal, I will be message ya to meet halfway for a beer! :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts