Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Hotrod Look for SS

25K views 79 replies 37 participants last post by  2643 
#1 · (Edited)
Just a quick progress update on my 'Hotrod look' mod on the SS.

There is still a lot of work left to do, many rough edges and a bit of fiberglass work to do on the front. A total of a bit over 50 pounds was removed from the hood and 'bumper' . The headlights were replaced with aftermarket motorcycle parts (better light at night than the stockers) and a lot of bracketry sawed and ground off the mounts. I had planed to replace the stock marker and turn signal lights but they ended up looking OK for now.

Unless I have a legal problem with the naked wheels I'm leaving them that way. Contrary to popular belief, rocks & rain coming off them has not been a problem. I'll go with some close fitting hugger fenders if necessary. Lots of 23 T-bucket type hot rods around with bare wheels so hoping I can do the same. Love seeing them out there when driving.

The radiator inlet was fabricated out of foam and fiberglass. Looks a little like a Super 7 inlet. Much more ground clearance than the stock setup so no problem hitting curbs & stuff.

Along with replacing the stock exhaust system (JonV system) and intake system (Full Blown) total weight loss was 70 lbs. Handling is a little crisper.

Could have saved myself some work and not sawed off the tips of the hood. The 'nose' had to be longer than first thought. Had to be longer to smoothly transition from square at radiator to oval inlet.

See less See more
#9 ·
I really like what you're doing! I've been hoping to see more mods like this. I know you said you plan the leave the wheels the way they are, and I'm not suggesting any changes, but I'd love to see it with some fenders like the SSV SS has, or maybe a Lotus Seven View attachment 34450

View attachment 34448 View attachment 34449
The 7 fenders look great but looks like they mount to the body so that style is out. What are the fenders in the small pix on the SS (I think) you sent? That might be an option if it comes to that.

#11 ·
@Otter Would have loved to see you show up with this version at the track back in October. Not only being 50 lbs lighter, but with less drag do you think your lap times would be better with this set up?

#21 ·
I'm thinking it will be. Can't really tell until I get it on the track again. You just can't wring it out hard enough (safely) to tell on the street. My opinion of the SS handling went up several notches the first time there. One of the few things that could bear improvement was in the S's. The steering ratio could be a bit quicker. Looking forward to trying it again.

#15 ·

There is still a lot of work left to do, many rough edges and a bit of fiberglass work to do on the front. A total of a bit over 50 pounds was removed from the hood and 'bumper' . The headlights were replaced with aftermarket motorcycle parts (better light at night than the stockers) and a lot of bracketry sawed and ground off the mounts. I had planed to replace the stock marker and turn signal lights but they ended up looking OK for now.

Unless I have a legal problem with the naked wheels I'm leaving them that way. Contrary to popular belief, rocks & rain coming off them has not been a problem. I'll go with some close fitting hugger fenders if necessary. Lots of 23 T-bucket type hot rods around with bare wheels so hoping I can do the same. Love seeing them out there when driving.

The radiator inlet was fabricated out of foam and fiberglass. Looks a little like a Super 7 inlet. Much more ground clearance than the stock setup so no problem hitting curbs & stuff.

Along with replacing the stock exhaust system (JonV system) and intake system (Full Blown) total weight loss was 70 lbs. Handling is a little crisper.

View attachment 34442 View attachment 34443
Hey Otter
That is some fine custom work. I give you lots of credit for out of the box thinking. Personally I would have fainted if I had to cut that much of my SS without knowing the end result. But you nailed a very unique look. I love the nose. Can't wait to see it in person at the next track day. Hope to see you at Bike week or maybe sooner.

#24 · (Edited)
Your batmobile look delete up front is a huge success to my eyes. Really like where you are going with that.

Any thoughts for a shark fin delete in the rear? I keep looking at the fin, then my chainsaw, then the fin, then the chainsaw...

Sent from my brain using an iPad
I'm sure I'll turn my attention to the SS tail eventually. I was going to say 'what about the radio antenna in the fin?' but the damn radio still doesn't work for me :D

And oh yeah, I don't miss the Batmobile comments at gas stops :)

#29 ·
Yep, no problem although I had the same thought. That's some pretty funky geometry on the hood hinging. It raises up first then pivots forward well ahead of the nose before pointing down.

With all that weight off the hood it is a pleasure to open & close the thing too.

#28 ·
Wow! man you got to have some big balls cutting into your slingshot like that.
Did you have a plan drawn out or are you just free handing it?
Either way it looks great so far can't wait to see it finished!
One more question how do you walk around with those big ones lol

#30 ·
Wow! man you got to have some big balls cutting into your slingshot like that.
Did you have a plan drawn out or are you just free handing it?
Either way it looks great so far can't wait to see it finished!
One more question how do you walk around with those big ones lol
Ha! The ballsy part was using the tool required to cut the fenders off without disassembling the hood. I did remove the fenders from the frame first. Mounted a small 4 1/4" circular saw blade on a die grinder. One slip and it could take your hand off or rip into the hood. Tried an abrasive disk but the sub-frame plastic just melts and gums up.

Taking the hood panels off the frame first is probably safer but I'm lazy.

#37 ·

View attachment 34442 View attachment 34443
Could have saved myself some work and not sawed off the tips of the hood. The 'nose' had to be longer than first thought. Had to be longer to smoothly transition from square at radiator to oval inlet.
Cool open wheel look! Update the pictures when you can.

#39 ·
@Otter ... fun to see the work in progress... Like the nose.

Do you still have your side splash guards??? Want to sell them? I'm still tinkering with ideas and an extra set would come in handy.
Still got'em RD. They're yours for the price of shipping. I'm away from home for a few days but PM me the address and I'll find out shipping cost when I get back home.

Reactions: 2643
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.