Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in NY & am required to wear a helmet for the first time. I like the Bell Rogue on paper as you can add the muzzle on colder rides but mostly it will be sun/warm only driving- suggestions???. I know the SS gets hot due to undercarriage exhaust - what do you long time riders wear? Will I roast in Kevlar jeans and a jacket for long rides? I like what I am reading about the Rev'it Cayenne Pro Jacket that is one of the best vented jacket apparently. Any feedback on hot weather gear?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
If you don't mind drilling your body panels, adding some cockpit vents helps improve airflow around your feet. @Mniron's vents (under the fenders/splashguards) are inexpensive and add some cooling and there's a commercial product that places a scoop behind the fenders/splashguards that costs around $120 for the kit.
I tend to avoid daylight rides in strong sun and have always preferred riding or driving at night. A long-sleeve T-shirt offers some protection from sun and/or bugs/small stones. Depending on the heat, you may or may not find Kevlar jeans too warm.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Never too warm to ride. Shorts, t-shirt and sneakers. Above 98 degrees just make frequent water stops and carry a bottle of water with you. If you really need to stay out of the sun, get a soft top. Didn't have that option on my Goldwing.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I live in the southern California desert and my Slingshot is my daily driver. Many days when I am out in the Slingshot the temp can be well in excess of 110 degrees. for sun protection I often wear a white long sleeve moisture wicking shirt and almost always shorts - in winter I might wear long pants a few times if its really cold, as a helmet I wear a very small and light 1/2 helmet and in winter I have a full helmet I use occasionally. thats it, kevlar pants I have no clue why you would ever need that kind of protection in a Slingshot

·
Registered
83 Posts
I may be mistaken but I think the 2015 & 2016 models had the heat problem and that has been resolved from the 2016.5 on. My 2018 SL is comfortable on even the hottest days as long as I am moving. Sitting still in the hot sun cooks you no matter what you are riding. In my case, the top also helps with that issue.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have a 2017 SLR. I bought it used so I’m not sure if the heat shielding under the hood is stock or was added on later. That being said, I don’t notice excessive heat coming from the floor And I have driven it in 107 degree heat. My wife on the other hand gets uncomfortably hot in the passenger seat when the temperature gets above 75 degrees. This winter I plan to install headers and a ceramic coated muffler. I hope that takes care of the wife’s problem.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I agree. A top does wonders. I didn't want black because black soaks up heat. If I could have found a all white one I would have it. I ended up with orange with black. I love it

·
Registered
44 Posts
We live in AZ, here's what we did. We got rid of the cat and installed a 1320 header and exhaust (at least get rid of the cat). Baker's wings help immensely, and also help when it's cold. Two white lounge chair beach towel covers (with a pocket to 'hang' them on the seatbacks). And the cockpit cover that hangs from the seatbacks to the windshield. This has velcro straps by the mirrors and bottom sides. If we're going in someplace for a few minutes we use the beach towels to keep the seats cool. If we're going in for longer we put the cockpit cover on. With two people it takes about 20 seconds to put on or remove the cover, even less for the beach towels. I know a roof would help, but (imho) I haven't seen a roof that doesn't detract from the cool looks of a SS (even if it's just the bars when you remove the actual roof). We are considering the windshield that lifts up and allows airflow under it. We ride our SS a lot, but we live in northern AZ (eg 90's in the summer, occasional snow in the winter). If we have to go to Phoenix when it's 120 degrees there I admit we take something with air conditioning (whoever said it's never too hot for a SS has not driven in rush hour traffic in Phoenix in August!).

·
Registered
12 Posts
My secrets for keeping cool when it's hot are these:

Wet vest is like having air conditioning in the Slingshot: Ergodyne Chill-Its 6665 Evaporative Cooling Vest - Lime, Large https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D42P0K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_HRt4XBOJImwj5

Long sleeved lightweight white shirt reflects a lot of sun: Baleaf Men's UPF 50+ Outdoor Running Long Sleeve T-Shirt White Size XXXL https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071VJWQQT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_96z3Jt34o7ka5

Having now a half helmet (see below) I got sunburned face and neck until using these: MAYOUTH Balaclava UV Protection Face Masks for Cycling Outdoor Sports Full Face Mask Breathable 3pack Good Gift Great Present https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BJZKLKS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_IMmsAxYRfM8MN

These minimal but legal helmets are perfect for slinging; very lightweight (compared to the full face I always use for the Harley) and make conversation while traveling really easy. I got an XL and a LG to help fit me and any companion: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-cavalry-lite-helmet

I pop these in and out as needed for fit: Replacement Foam Helmet Pads... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006ZQWC5E?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts