Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Horn Upgrade

15K views 50 replies 27 participants last post by  The Rush 
#1 ·
Anyone have recommendations on an upgrade to the existing horn, duals or others?

#12 · (Edited)
Compared to regular electric diaphragm horns typically used by OEMs, the WOLO 619 probably draws as much current as two regular diaphragm horns. Using TWO WOLO 619s will probably require some extra wiring to support the current load. A quick web search indicated typical diaphragm horns draw about 2 Amps each while a Wolo can draw almost 20 Amps. The Wolo comes with a 30 Amp relay so it is unlikely the original horn relay could support 2 Wolos.
To be safe, check the rating of the existing horn relay. If it's a 30 Amp relay it should support a single Wolo horn. The wiring diagram shown in the link below will let you install a second Wolo horn or use two of these relay circuits if you want to have 2 Wolo horns and your OEM relay setup won't support the current load of a Wolo horn. http://www.valkmotive.com/installation-nautilus-419-519-619-vm2-nm2-gp-418-404-415
This link shows what size wire is needed to carry a given current load a given distance - http://www.offroaders.com/tech/12-volt-wire-gauge-amps.htm.

#9 ·
These horns look good. I am working on installing a new pair of 3 tone horns on my SL. BUT I have to wait until I get back into town to finish wiring them in. I know they're going to be AWSOM!! 110 DB LOUD. I have the Dual tone on my Spyder RS~S

BTW I have 2 more sets of Dual and 3 tone horns for sale if anyone is interested $35.00 add shipping send PM.

#17 ·
Hi - RABTECH - - - Carol & i just bought the Wolo - Bad-Boy Horn 419 - - if you could post a picture of
How & Where you mounted this horn, it would be much appreciated - - - Thanking-You in advance
................................................................................................................. tom n carol

#19 ·
For those interested in upgrading your horn the current horn has a relay and fuse rated at 20 amps that is shared with the turn signals. The wiring is 18awg and should handle a 16 amp load, I would not use more than 12 amps peak. If you are interested in creating a pigtail instead of cutting or splicing into the factory wire, I found what looks like the correct connector. I have not verified it yet. It can be found at http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/1674

#20 · (Edited)
Thanks BKL & CSprague - - I know how to wire and made my own pig-tail
What I need to Know
IS WHERE RABTECH MOUNTED THE BAD BOY
I have been spent hours trying to find a spot that does not hit the hood when closed

HELP - HELP - - RABTECH - -

......................................................... tom/carol out

#22 ·
A Forum member mounted his Wolo in the same spot where the OEM horn was mounted. Wolo recommends mounting the horn vertically with the mouth of the horn facing away from any potential rain/water, but this position does expose the horn a little.

This post has been deleted
#25 ·
Here is where we mounted our Wolo Bad-Boy Horn
We used the factory bracket off the factory horn, but used a spacer so that it would clear the top of the horn and we wired it into the factory horn-wire connector, using a spade connector that we ground down
we originally tryed mounting the Bad-Boy in the factory horn location, but it was touching the hood
in this location it is mounted upright and protected from weather ................. tom n carol
Here is a pic of how mine ended up. So far no issues and fits fine.

Attachments

#24 ·
Here is where we mounted our Wolo Bad-Boy Horn
We used the factory bracket off the factory horn, but used a spacer so that it would clear the top of the horn and we wired it into the factory horn-wire connector, using a spade connector that we ground down
we originally tryed mounting the Bad-Boy in the factory horn location, but it was touching the hood
in this location it is mounted upright and protected from weather ................. tom n carol

Attachments

#26 ·
For those interested in upgrading your horn the current horn has a relay and fuse rated at 20 amps that is shared with the turn signals. The wiring is 18awg and should handle a 16 amp load, I would not use more than 12 amps peak. If you are interested in creating a pigtail instead of cutting or splicing into the factory wire, I found what looks like the correct connector. I have not verified it yet. It can be found at http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/1674
Has anyone tried this connector. I would rather use that then cut into the wiring.

#28 ·
I thought that doing a horn upgrade was really a waste since I'm not one that uses mine much on anything I ride/drive. UNTIL the last trip to the gas station. The pumps were full, and the car in front of me turned into the station as well, but stopped part way into the driveway. I was hanging the @$$ of mine out in traffic, when this "stoner air head" decides he wants to back up. I lay into the horn (beepppppp) while I yell HEY and he still backs up. I'm trying to shift into reverse (thanks again GM for making it soooooooo easy to do without moving forward first or letting up on the clutch) and he finally stops about 6 inches from the front. I pull around him and get to the pump and he has to move twice to find out what side of the car his gas cap is on. When he finally stops and gets out, I lay into him saying how close he was from backing into me. he says "huh, when"? I could have done something that i would regret later, but chose to take the high road and just tossed insults and yelled at him for what seemed to be 20 seconds. Come to find out he was in town for the annual hippie fest so we know where his wasted mind was. Too bad there's no cops around when you really need one. A horn upgrade will be my next mod to mine.

#30 ·
Thanks CSprague!! I ordered this pigtail and it works perfectly. Thanks for your post!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.