Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have recommendations on an upgrade to the existing horn, duals or others?

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Try searching the forum for Wolo. Wolo makes several models with the two most popular probably being the 419 dual-tone horn and my personal favorite the 619 single-tone horn. You can hear how they sound here - http://wolo-mfg.com/horns/motorcycle-horns.html. They are available at Amazon and Northern Tool and Harbor Freight sell the 419.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
Don, check out the Wolo 619 first. Very compact and easily replaces the OEM horn. There's at least one thread where a forum member installed a 619.

·
Registered
169 Posts
These horns look good. I am working on installing a new pair of 3 tone horns on my SL. BUT I have to wait until I get back into town to finish wiring them in. I know they're going to be AWSOM!! 110 DB LOUD. I have the Dual tone on my Spyder RS~S

BTW I have 2 more sets of Dual and 3 tone horns for sale if anyone is interested $35.00 add shipping send PM.

·
Registered
5,372 Posts
On the wolo 619 can you install two and tap the existing wire for the horn or do you have to install a relay?
Compared to regular electric diaphragm horns typically used by OEMs, the WOLO 619 probably draws as much current as two regular diaphragm horns. Using TWO WOLO 619s will probably require some extra wiring to support the current load. A quick web search indicated typical diaphragm horns draw about 2 Amps each while a Wolo can draw almost 20 Amps. The Wolo comes with a 30 Amp relay so it is unlikely the original horn relay could support 2 Wolos.
To be safe, check the rating of the existing horn relay. If it's a 30 Amp relay it should support a single Wolo horn. The wiring diagram shown in the link below will let you install a second Wolo horn or use two of these relay circuits if you want to have 2 Wolo horns and your OEM relay setup won't support the current load of a Wolo horn. http://www.valkmotive.com/installation-nautilus-419-519-619-vm2-nm2-gp-418-404-415
This link shows what size wire is needed to carry a given current load a given distance - http://www.offroaders.com/tech/12-volt-wire-gauge-amps.htm.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Go to Harbor Freight and purchase a BadBoy air horn. It is enough to jar anyone out of their skin. Then hook it to the stock wiring and you will be so happy. The stock wiring and fuse and relay will run it just fine. I have had 0 trouble with laying on my horn to aggravate my friends at redlights.

Matter of a fact I just checked and its a WOLO horn. And its cheap at Harbor Frieght. You just need one.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@BKL Thank you for taking the time to explain about the draw when using the double solo's. Very informative

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Hi - RABTECH - - - Carol & i just bought the Wolo - Bad-Boy Horn 419 - - if you could post a picture of
How & Where you mounted this horn, it would be much appreciated - - - Thanking-You in advance
................................................................................................................. tom n carol

·
Registered
100 Posts
For those interested in upgrading your horn the current horn has a relay and fuse rated at 20 amps that is shared with the turn signals. The wiring is 18awg and should handle a 16 amp load, I would not use more than 12 amps peak. If you are interested in creating a pigtail instead of cutting or splicing into the factory wire, I found what looks like the correct connector. I have not verified it yet. It can be found at http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/products_id/1674

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
Thanks BKL & CSprague - - I know how to wire and made my own pig-tail
What I need to Know
IS WHERE RABTECH MOUNTED THE BAD BOY
I have been spent hours trying to find a spot that does not hit the hood when closed

HELP - HELP - - RABTECH - -

......................................................... tom/carol out

1 - 20 of 51 Posts