Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
my fellow slingshot hooligans....no forum....you mean to tell me I am the only guy that stuffed his ss in a 90deg corner and punches it and drifts 2 or 3 feet and comes out straight and hits 60mph in a couple seconds.....the fun to be had within the speed limit is awesome....she's not fast but she's quick and very forgiving and so predictable....and to burnout all the way though a 4 way stop intersection with cars on all points....they want one but they hate me.....come on...everybody has got at least one story of there slingshot riding the edge....lets here a few...no judgement......come on.....we have all been a hooligan for a minute....lets hear some

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
Motorcycle VS Seatbelt ticket.... One quiet afternoon and the intersection of two state hwys (no cars in sight) took off a little spirited --- a mile down the track coming over the rise I just new it was a 'Brown Bear'. Slowed a little as we approached and as he turned around I pulled over. He came up and as I looked up I said "little fast?" When he came back his comment was I noticed you weren't wearing your seat belt when I came up. and than handed me my paper work. $25 and NO pts.... He was just telling me to slow down just a little.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
So.... there's two cop cars in front of me traveling down the road. There's some debris in the road, first cop goes around it. 2nd cop pulls over to remove it. I stop in the middle of the road just short of the debris and.....

turn on my warning flashers, complete with the TricLED SpoilerBladez and TricLED EyeBladez flashing so the cop knows it's safe to walk into the road to collect the debris. We wave to each other as I drive away.

That's pretty hooligan teasing the cop with my add-on lights, right?

We wave to each other when we pass on the road now.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
my fellow slingshot hooligans....no forum....you mean to tell me I am the only guy that stuffed his ss in a 90deg corner and punches it and drifts 2 or 3 feet and comes out straight and hits 60mph in a couple seconds.....the fun to be had within the speed limit is awesome....she's not fast but she's quick and very forgiving and so predictable....and to burnout all the way though a 4 way stop intersection with cars on all points....they want one but they hate me.....come on...everybody has got at least one story of there slingshot riding the edge....lets here a few...no judgement......come on.....we have all been a hooligan for a minute....lets hear some
so EjFord and Rider and I are the only ones that have had a hooligan type experience on our slingshots....really...how about some of the track guys...we know you have had some drifting a cornering experiences on the track...there has got to be a few more stories....come on guys anything...even a near death experience that scared the s.... out of you....anything

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
TBH, I enjoy high-speed corners or acceleration-induced rear-end sway, but I DO NOT enjoy getting pulled over, so I try not to attract attention whenever I'm in traffic or know LEOs are around. I have a favorite 15 mph right-angle turn that I've successfully done at a little over 30. (Don't ask me why I no longer try to do it at 40!:D) I've also been pulled over for spinning my tires while accelerating and have been informed such actions constitute reckless driving/failure to control my vehicle. I enjoy friendly conversations with local LEOs, but I try not to attract their attention.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I'll cop to it. I've slid into a few intersections, locked up and took off right in the middle of my lane. Not always on purpose but, like you said, it's so forgiving you look like an expert. And it is fun.

The wife was with me once and quietly freaked out because we were facing the center divider. I explained that, yeah we were facing the center divider but the steering wheel was turned and we were sliding sideways. She got it. Now she wants to try it.

But, I don't like getting tickets so I'm very selective when and where. Besides, I went through the stock rear tire in 4600 miles so I'm trying to make this one last a little longer.

By the way, I always wave at LEOs. I figure if I make friends now then maybe if I'm pulled over they will cut me some slack.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll cop to it. I've slid into a few intersections, locked up and took off right in the middle of my lane. Not always on purpose but, like you said, it's so forgiving you look like an expert. And it is fun.

The wife was with me once and quietly freaked out because we were facing the center divider. I explained that, yeah we were facing the center divider but the steering wheel was turned and we were sliding sideways. She got it. Now she wants to try it.

But, I don't like getting tickets so I'm very selective when and where. Besides, I went through the stock rear tire in 4600 miles so I'm trying to make this one last a little longer.

By the way, I always wave at LEOs. I figure if I make friends now then maybe if I'm pulled over they will cut me some slack.
That's what I'm talking about....all of you have told real life experiences ….this is awesome....five of us...I know there is hundreds more....I just remembered another incident....everybody will probably post a few times...I already have a couple more....lets hear them gentlemen ….it's ok I have had near death incidents to....it's life changing …. I came home and I vibrated for 30 minutes.....wow great to be alive.....let's here a few...anything is viable …reality ….just like t.v. only real...nothing boring...thanks ...lets do it...tell me...what happened..

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was driving one night just after sunset. The colour of the road and gravel shoulder were both light gray. My frt wheel went onto the shoulder and the next thing I knew the Slingshot was being sucked to the right into the ditch. It felt like the wheel was being pulled out of my hands. The ground dropped almost 10' and was right next to the woods. I suddenly realized I was in serious trouble and could end up in the woods. My effort to get back on the road wasn't working and I could still feel the Slingshot being pulled right. After what felt like an eternity I did manage to pull back on the road.
After it was over I was surprise at calm I was and not shaking.
To top it off a cop saw the whole thing and pulled me over. Just what I needed a speeding ticket but he only wanted to know if I was alright. He probably thought I had been drinking but I wasn't.
Like every body else he asked several questions about the Slingshot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was driving one night just after sunset. The colour of the road and gravel shoulder were both light gray. My frt wheel went onto the shoulder and the next thing I knew the Slingshot was being sucked to the right into the ditch. It felt like the wheel was being pulled out of my hands. The ground dropped almost 10' and was right next to the woods. I suddenly realized I was in serious trouble and could end up in the woods. My effort to get back on the road wasn't working and I could still feel the Slingshot being pulled right. After what felt like an eternity I did manage to pull back on the road.
After it was over I was surprise at calm I was and not shaking.
To top it off a cop saw the whole thing and pulled me over. Just what I needed a speeding ticket but he only wanted to know if I was alright. He probably thought I had been drinking but I wasn't.
Like every body else he asked several questions about the Slingshot.
wow...that was a heck of a save...good job...awesome story....that's six of us with a story....just a few hundred more....lets keep it going..

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I'm a pretty conservative rider, but there's a couple of 90* corners that I love taking at an unreasonable speed. The Sling just locks into the road so nicely. I try to maintain speed towards the corner and pretend the brakes don't work,, don't use them at all. Felt the rear tire slide just a bit, but never really broke it loose. In fact, the only time I really lost the rear was driving out of the dealership when I bought it. They had washed it and the tires had lots of soap on them.... Sideways I went!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm a pretty conservative rider, but there's a couple of 90* corners that I love taking at an unreasonable speed. The Sling just locks into the road so nicely. I try to maintain speed towards the corner and pretend the brakes don't work,, don't use them at all. Felt the rear tire slide just a bit, but never really broke it loose. In fact, the only time I really lost the rear was driving out of the dealership when I bought it. They had washed it and the tires had lots of soap on them.... Sideways I went!
Nice....I also stuff the SS in 90deg corners and with the oem shocks and if I would hit a bump in the corner the back tire would pogo over about a foot then grab and go...little scary the first few times which lead me to purchase some GT shocks off of henry and now she's far more stable in the corner....I.like the storys...keep it up guys...or gals...lets hear another...this is fun..

·
Registered
125 Posts
I live in the states just south of the Canadian border. The first time I crossed the border I spent five minutes answering questions. No problems, the border guard owned a Honda Goldwing and all the questions were about my Slingshot.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I live in the states just south of the Canadian border. The first time I crossed the border I spent five minutes answering questions. No problems, the border guard owned a Honda Goldwing and all the questions were about my Slingshot.
boy you are right.....we have been cruising down the road and people have phone videoed us and taken pictures....when we pull into a parking lot to do shopping sometimes people have followed us to ask questions and when we shop and return ,many times there has been crowds around it.....even let some moms and dads take pictures of there kids in the SS....seems to have calmed down a bit....probably due to more slingshots around we have counted 4 so far in town....love it....lets hear more....anything ...it's all good...we got 7 stories only a hundred to go...lets hear some more

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
boy you are right.....we have been cruising down the road and people have phone videoed us and taken pictures....when we pull into a parking lot to do shopping sometimes people have followed us to ask questions and when we shop and return ,many times there has been crowds around it.....even let some moms and dads take pictures of there kids in the SS....seems to have calmed down a bit....probably due to more slingshots around we have counted 4 so far in town....love it....lets hear more....anything ...it's all good...we got 7 stories only a hundred to go...lets hear some more
I've had lots of Kids in mine since Feb 2015 --- the fun "one's" let the gals get in and use her phone to take a picture and than tell her she should send a copy of the picture to her hubby every morning and let him know her birthday is coming..... You get some BIG smiles.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've had lots of Kids in mine since Feb 2015 --- the fun "one's" let the gals get in and use her phone to take a picture and than tell her she should send a copy of the picture to her hubby every morning and let him know her birthday is coming..... You get some BIG smiles.
Love it......it brings so much joy and excitement ...Thanks EjFord

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I was cruising on a 4 lane state highway when a Subaru WRX pulled up next to me with a 20 something driver. He knew what was coming when I smiled at him and reached for the shifter. When I dropped to 3rd and nailed it he was right there with me. I surged ahead to let him know I could then he surged ahead as I backed off a bit. We had traffic about a half mile in front of us so there wasn't room to open up. We just played back and forth until we caught up with the traffic. My wife was pissed that I was baited by a youngster but what she doesn't know is if she wasn't in the Slingshot it would have been a totally different game. Next time!

·
Registered
4,544 Posts
One day a Mustang pulled up beside me---from his reaction he knew what the Slingshot is. we played a little until a Camaro came up behind us...we continued to play right at the speed limit and wouldn't let him by.... Sometimes you just have to be ornery ….

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I was cruising on a 4 lane state highway when a Subaru WRX pulled up next to me with a 20 something driver. He knew what was coming when I smiled at him and reached for the shifter. When I dropped to 3rd and nailed it he was right there with me. I surged ahead to let him know I could then he surged ahead as I backed off a bit. We had traffic about a half mile in front of us so there wasn't room to open up. We just played back and forth until we caught up with the traffic. My wife was pissed that I was baited by a youngster but what she doesn't know is if she wasn't in the Slingshot it would have been a totally different game. Next time!
One day a Mustang pulled up beside me---from his reaction he knew what the Slingshot is. we played a little until a Camaro came up behind us...we continued to play right at the speed limit and wouldn't let him by.... Sometimes you just have to be ornery ….
I love this....here we are grown men and playing around...I'll tell you guys this is going to keep us young....it's fun and exciting to not act our age sometimes....oh man this is great...thanks for the stories...it feels like I was there....digging it

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
What the wife also doesn't know is that sometimes the gear drop and hammer down happens for absolutely no reason at all on deserted roads. OK, there is a reason. It makes me giggle like a school girl..
Boy do I know what you mean......strange thing is my girl loves it....when we put that bfg sticky tire on we were drifting in a 90deg. corner then it just hooked up and jolted us really hard...not enough speed and acceleration....had to drive to fast to have fun with that tire so I put a slip and slide kenda back on and we are able to drift at a slower speed again ...much more fun for us and we don't have to fly around anymore...the fun can be had at a slower speed but yeah she loves it......

1 - 20 of 25 Posts