Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

441 - 458 of 458 Posts

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
I just checked the so-called Service manual Polaris sells. naturally, it has diddly-squat in it about adjusting the cable tension on the hood latches!
I have a set of Alpha hood brackets, but haven't installed them yet because I was afraid installing them would turn into a PITA trying to adjust the cables.
Any tips?

·
Super Moderator
2,871 Posts
There's a bit more discussion on this:

Hood won't open.

Looking for how to align hood

Full Blown Heavy Duty Slingshot Hood Brackets

Dropping the hood can cause the stock latches to bend, and that may eventually cause issues with latching/unlatching the hood. It's best to find where the latches are located (they align with the front directionals/hood insert, rear fender upper support/hood insert) and set the hood down gently, then with a microfiber towel/rag (as not to scratch the paint) push down on the front latches, then the rear latches.

The issues I know of are
  • Poor alignment of the brackets adjustment
  • Improper cable length adjustment
  • Hood bumpers set too high
  • Bent brackets
Most of the problems can be fixed with cable length adjustments, bracket adjustment, and one may possibly have to resort to aftermarket brackets. One of the better tricks to getting the hood open is using a screwdriver to push the locking mechanism open on each latch. All this information should be in the updated service manual, and I hear it's not. (I have the older manual, and if a section on a topic is missing, such as the jackshaft, rear wheel bearings, hood latches, muffler, etc., you know there's going to be an issue with it. Reportedly the updated manual is only a minor improvement.)

This is a long thread, and I'm going to sticky it because there are several causes which result in basically the problem, and one way or another the contributions here should help identify and solve the problem you're facing.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just installed the DDM works hood latch reinforcement blocks and the high density hood pads (there were no hood pads at all when I looked) the passenger rear latch still won't latch no mater how hard you push down. I think the dealer might have removed the stock hood pads just to get it latched.
I'm getting a different dealer to replace the pinion seal and I'll get them to look at the hood too.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
I just installed the DDM works hood latch reinforcement blocks and the high density hood pads (there were no hood pads at all when I looked) the passenger rear latch still won't latch no mater how hard you push down. I think the dealer might have removed the stock hood pads just to get it latched.
I'm getting a different dealer to replace the pinion seal and I'll get them to look at the hood too.
What year is your SS?

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Okay.

First, the stock rear hood latch brackets SUCK. Replace them. Slingmods.com has the Alpha heavy duty brackets and they are well worth the money.

Second. The front hood latches (which are where the cables for the rear latches attach to) are normally at their max.

Look carefully at the front latches and you will see two holes for the rear cables. I (and several others) have documented this. You won't get the latches right in 10 minutes but if you get the heavy duty brackets and spend some time you can get them to open and close like butter.

Here is another thread you might want to read:

Hood won't open.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Now June of 2018 and I'm reopening this older can of worms. Bought a 2015 Slingshot SL a couple of weeks ago. Noticed that the hood latch nearest to the driver side windshield refuses to latch. Lubed all 4 latches with Lithium grease and that particular latch still will not catch. Have dropped the hood from about 8-10 inches to see if that will work...still nothing. Also loosened the screws on the lower bracket hoping there was enough slop in it to raise it a fraction of an inch to allow the hood to trip the latch with no luck. 'Pressing firmly' on the top of the hood on top of the bracket does nothing either. I have tested the latch mechanism manually and it does latch. Afraid to drive it at Freeway speeds due to the hood wavering up and down in that area when passing a truck. Would hate to have my hood crack from fatigue due to wind pressures. Anybody have any suggestions other than spend $$ at a Polaris dealer?

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
Now June of 2018 and I'm reopening this older can of worms. Bought a 2015 Slingshot SL a couple of weeks ago. Noticed that the hood latch nearest to the driver side windshield refuses to latch. Lubed all 4 latches with Lithium grease and that particular latch still will not catch. Have dropped the hood from about 8-10 inches to see if that will work...still nothing. Also loosened the screws on the lower bracket hoping there was enough slop in it to raise it a fraction of an inch to allow the hood to trip the latch with no luck. 'Pressing firmly' on the top of the hood on top of the bracket does nothing either. I have tested the latch mechanism manually and it does latch. Afraid to drive it at Freeway speeds due to the hood wavering up and down in that area when passing a truck. Would hate to have my hood crack from fatigue due to wind pressures. Anybody have any suggestions other than spend $$ at a Polaris dealer?
I had a similar problem on my 2015 Slingshot. After experiencing the joy and exhilaration of having my hood start to rise while doing 60 mph during a night ride (fortunately, I was in a left-sweeping curve and could see the right side of the road ahead of me to safely pull over), I ordered new hood latch brackets (Alpha, I thin k), but I never got around to installing them because I was worried about the hassle of possibly needing to readjust the latch cables. Sometimes, I can go several rides w/o a latch popping, but other times I seem to have to stop and check the latches several times during a ride. Guess I should install the brackets since I have them.
IIRC, the aftermarket brackets offer some adjustability compared to the factory brackets. FBM has set on EBay - NEW 2015 2016 POLARIS SLINGSHOT BLACK REINFORCED HOOD BRACKETS (SET OF TWO) | eBay.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the info BKL. Since I posted this I, (apparently and possibly only temporarily) have fixed the unlatched latch. Sling.com is selling a pair of 'reinforcement blocks' for the bracket for $40. Thinking of the reinforcement idea and analyzing that the whole bracket needed to be raised a bit to meet the hood assy, I removed the 2 bolts attached to the frame, used my grinder and a cone shaped grinding bit to elongate the bolt holes to allow the bracket to rise up from the frame mount about an 1/8 of an inch. Put the bolts back in reinforcing the bracket with large flat washers and tooth washers to hold in place. Worked! The lid latches in all 4 points now and, as long as the bolts stay in place, the bracket is slightly reinforced also without creating any more weak links.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree with Wingshot on watching Sam Owens video on YouTube. That and a couple of Full Blown reinforcement brackets set mine straight. For that moment anyway. The hood latch issue is ongoing for all of us. The 4 corner latch design with a plastic hood wasn’t a real good idea. Learning how the cables adjust and latches sequence is the first step in getting it to close properly. Not to mention problems with opening once you get it to latch. In my opinion it’s also one of Sams more humorous vids too.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I've seen multiple posts about the hood latches not working on the SS. I have the same issue, and it was my hood that opened while I was on the highway. Polaris hadn't acknowledged the issue previously, but as of yesterday, they provided part numbers to my service shop for shims to add to the forward hinges on the hood. They are supposed to realign the latches, and correct the problem. I will get the part number and let everybody know if that corrects the issue.
I owned a Slingshot from Feb 2015 till just recently. NEVER had any trouble with my hood. Opened it with ONE HAND in the front, and LET IT CLOSE BY DROPPING IT FROM FULL UP TO FULL CLOSED. Dropping it does not hurt the hood. It is when people try to ease.......the hood down slowly and gently, and then go around to the sides and pushing down. That messes up the alignment

Repeat, on the level, just let the hood drop. If the Sling is parked with the front facing downhill, it might even take a little PUSH in the very front center of the hood along with the drop to get it to SLAM SHUT. If the Sling is parked facing uphill, gravity alone will more than do the job.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree sling found out best way is to let it drop hard also. Locks every time
I agree. I have been letting my hood 'drop hard' since new, and it ALWAYS CLOSES TIGHT. Never have had to push down or lift on the sides. I have been telling people on here for months that's the way to do it, and opening can be done with ONE HAND. (as long as the vehicle is on level ground though if the front end is parked downhill that makes it even easier to open.

Always open and close on level ground side to side. Front to back doesn't mess up the alignment.

That was all true until the other day when I was demonstrating to another Slingshot owner with big big chrome wheels how to both open and close the hood. Closing worked fine, just drop it, but I actually had to use TWO HANDS to get it open, just in the front center of course. Either his hood got mysteriously heavy or I got suddenly weak. First time, so can't win them all. But still, like I have been saying, only needed to go to the center front to open it.

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
755 Posts
I have the most information in video to help understand the Polaris Slingshot Latching System. I will post my youtube video Playlist for the subject below. Hope it will help.

Each video will show a different aspect of the Latching system. Get comfortable and view all for the full understanding and help with corrections.

Polaris Slingshot Hood Latch Issue - YouTube

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've seen multiple posts about the hood latches not working on the SS. I have the same issue, and it was my hood that opened while I was on the highway. Polaris hadn't acknowledged the issue previously, but as of yesterday, they provided part numbers to my service shop for shims to add to the forward hinges on the hood. They are supposed to realign the latches, and correct the problem. I will get the part number and let everybody know if that corrects the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have same problem with my hood. Can't open. Dealer says they have to be replaced at quite a high costs. (all 4 cables) Has anyone else have this problem?? Did you get this fixed. Tks

·
Sam, Gail & Snazzy
755 Posts
Have same problem with my hood. Can't open. Dealer says they have to be replaced at quite a high costs. (all 4 cables) Has anyone else have this problem?? Did you get this fixed. Tks
I have a lot of information about the Hood Latching System. I have not addressed the failure to open. Most folks have problems closing. You may want to watch some of the video and see if it will help you understand the latches and cable and lead to help you with a solution you can come to. I will be glad to assist one you review the video and give me a clear understanding of where the opening problem occurs.
Good Luck!

Sam

Here is my youtube playlist

Polaris Slingshot Hood Latch Issue - YouTube

·
Registered
1 Posts
It took me awhile to figure out my hood after it almost blew off on the freeway because of an unlocked hood latch. I was closing it gently and pushing down firmly on the plastic inserts until i heard the clicks. What I've found works 10x better is to lower your hood until it's about 12" from closing and drop it like you would your normal car hood. Locks everytime now perfectly!
This is what I do...works every time!

441 - 458 of 458 Posts