Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slingmods sells a hood extender for $235 and Slingshot only sells one just like the one All Things Slingshot sells for the same price $199.95. Does anybody know which one works better, the one from Slingmods or the one the other 2 sell for less? Steve

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
I have the MadStad hinge set (bought it used), now sold under the Twist Dynamics brand. It needs the gas cartridge to hold the hood open. @[email protected] said their hinge kit doesn't need the cartridge if you prefer to not use it (https://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/hood-opening-warning-on-polaris-slingshot.156865/page-2#post-764705). I ran into problems with the cartridge when I tried to adjust how the hood closed. Having loosened both hinge mounts, the cartridge pushed the entire hood out of alignment and I ended up re-installing the OEM hinges to fix the alignment. I still plan on trying to re-install the MadSatd/TD hinge kit, but if I run into problems again, I'll probably switch to the DDMWorks kit.
ZZPerformance also offers a hood hinge kit that doesn't even use a cartridge - Billet Hood Hinge Kit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's good to know. Now that you mention it the hood is not real rigid and I can see where a light weight gas cartridge would be a problem. I'll just use the ones without the cartridge. I saw somebody in Eureka Springs this weekend had crome extenders. Do you know who makes those? Thanks Steve

·
Registered
4,922 Posts
My guess is the chrome hood hinges were a custom job by an owner. I used to have dual gas cartridges (one on both sides) to assist in opening the hood. I felt they balanced each other and didn't need to worry about any distortion from having all of the pressure on just one side.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The Madstad ones have issues with the hood alignment. I was told this by a slingshot mechanic, but bought them anyway. He was right. I ended up selling them and buying the DDM ones. No problems whatsoever now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The Madstad ones have issues with the hood alignment. I was told this by a slingshot mechanic, but bought them anyway. He was right. I ended up selling them and buying the DDM ones. No problems whatsoever now.
I second the DDM ones, solid with no wobble or misalignment

1 - 7 of 7 Posts