Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was running my SS today when I heard what sounds like a gas under pressure being released. Now the SS idles at 3,000 RPM and I can put it in 4th gear and drive at 40mpH without touching the gas or clutch. There's also a weird smell coming in through the driver side.

I'm completely green when it comes to this type of thing. I checked for loose connections thinking perhaps a vacuum leak but can't find anything obvious. There are no lights on the dash and no check engine codes.

There does seem to be a lot of air moving from front to back on the intake side of the engine, but I still can't see anything that appears to be loose or broken.

Anyone have any thoughts or can point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Was running my SS today when I heard what sounds like a gas under pressure being released. Now the SS idles at 3,000 RPM and I can put it in 4th gear and drive at 40mpH without touching the gas or clutch. There's also a weird smell coming in through the driver side.

I'm completely green when it comes to this type of thing. I checked for loose connections thinking perhaps a vacuum leak but can't find anything obvious. There are no lights on the dash and no check engine codes.

There does seem to be a lot of air moving from front to back on the intake side of the engine, but I still can't see anything that appears to be loose or broken.

Anyone have any thoughts or can point me in the right direction?
WoW this is a new one
shut it off and then restart - - if that does not work, you need to go to dealer
..................................................... tom n carol

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I probably know the answer. Call me sometime today and you can post if I'm right.

This problem just happened to @WingShot .

You most likely lost your cap on the intake manifold. You'll hear air leaking below where the throttle body bolts. There is a nipple there that points back towards the driver seat. It needs to be capped with a zip tie in place.

If it isn't capped, it sucks air from that spot and computer goes all funky. Machine will idle really high.

Many of us turbo guys pull out boost readings from this spot.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Here is a picture from @WingShot. This nipple should be capped with a zip tie.

image.jpeg

You can see that his blew off also while driving.

It night be a good idea for SS owners to check these.

@aznative75 if you still have that capped, you most likely have a leak on the manifold side somewhere else.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

View attachment 53616

@aznative75 if you still have that capped, you most likely have a leak on the manifold side somewhere else.
Trav is the big winner! Thank you! Thank you! Mine is definitely missing. Will get it back on and report back with an update.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Just checked mine and its still on. Will put tie on it tomorrow. On way into town today, as I came off the interstate to a stop light the engine was racing at about 2-3k; I hit the gas pedal it backed off to normal idle. First time its done this in the 700 mi on it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks again to @TravAZ for pointing me in the right direction. Swung by the auto parts store and picked up some caps and a metal hose clamp. Clamped that baby down tighter than a Sorority girl at BYU! 15 minutes later, all fixed for under $10. Drove it about 40 miles and at speeds of 90 mph and the SS is purring like a kitten.

The only thing I can think of that caused it to pop off in the first place is when I stalled the engine during a spin-out this weekend. Perhaps during the stall, there was an increase in pressure that caused it to pop off. As a few suggested above, it would be advantageous for everyone to clamp that sucker down!

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
WoWoW
Great Info
thanks for sharing -

that is why this this Forum id Great
"Fellow-SlingShoters-Share"
Thank You 2.jpg

................................................ tom n carol

·
Registered
2,750 Posts

View attachment 53616

Upon closer examination and zip-tying that vacuum as per
TravAZ's Post - we found another vacuum cap that could come loose, and zip tied that one
See #4 in this diagram - Evap Emissions Cnstr Purge Solenoid Valve
ENGINE-eVAP EMISSIONS.gif

.......................................................... tom n carol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Can I get a larger picture of where I should be looking? Exact some thing just happened to me at the grocery store

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Got it never mind! If you could share the part and the clamp I should scoop from. AutoZone that would be great

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
Upon closer examination and zip-tying that vacuum as per
TravAZ's Post - we found another vacuum cap that could come loose, and zip tied that one
See #4 in this diagram - Evap Emissions Cnstr Purge Solenoid Valve
View attachment 53747

.......................................................... tom n carol
Interestingly enough, #4 is a valve that leads to nowhere and does nothing. You have to look at it to really notice whats going on, but it's got the vacuum feed going to it and is capped off on the other side.

Us Alpha turbo guys remove that vacuum line (#5 on the diagram) and it becomes the vacuum feed for the blow off valve.

Why Polaris plumbed and wired for it but didn't put an evap can on it is a mystery to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts