Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

High Hanging RPM's

49K views 322 replies 66 participants last post by  Doc 
#1 ·
This might be related to the other discussion around the stalling from 2nd to 1st. But its a slightly different thing so I wanted to see if others see it as well.

When being a bit aggressive after pressing the clutch in and letting off of the gas I notice the RPM's hang, at whatever RPM it was before until you actually make your shift. (Its nice as you don't have to rev match etc, but its VERY odd and keeps hanging at a very high RPM with no load.)

ANyone else seeing it. Blipping the throttle doesn't seem to improve it either. (I let it go for 4-6 seconds before I gave in and shifted.) My dealer is going to contact Polaris about it.

#11 · (Edited)
Mine was careening fast towards a car parked at a red light, and I DID NOT have my foot on the throttle. I pushed in the clutch fast to avoid a collision, and the rpm's shot up to the rev limiter (7,000rpms) and hung there for 5-10 seconds. That's the kind of stuff class-action lawsuits are made of! Terrifying is an understatement. I'm at 485 miles.... bringing it into dealer for the 500 with this list:
1- occasional stalling
2- scary as crap revs
3- cruise control has never worked
4- belt loose (easy fix)
5- rough idle (plugs?)

Everything else perfect. Potential to be a really sweet ride, just need to get these wrinkles ironed out

#15 ·
I have been upset about not getting mine yet. But now I am starting to think the delay might be a good thing. I hope Polaris gets the issues worked out. I know this is going to come across as negative to some. But ,if Polaris spent so much time in development with the SS. How did they not catch and fix these issues before release ?

#16 ·
This might be related to the other discussion around the stalling from 2nd to 1st. But its a slightly different thing so I wanted to see if others see it as well.

When being a bit aggressive after pressing the clutch in and letting off of the gas I notice the RPM's hang, at whatever RPM it was before until you actually make your shift. (Its nice as you don't have to rev match etc, but its VERY odd and keeps hanging at a very high RPM with no load.)

Anyone else seeing it. Blipping the throttle doesn't seem to improve it either. (I let it go for 4-6 seconds before I gave in and shifted.) My dealer is going to contact Polaris about it.
Dont know if this is the same, I had a manual trans car did the same thing, dealer told me the computer did that so it would meet emission standards, some crap about having to burn off the extra fuel during accel.

#17 · (Edited)
@LowBid just reported this on another thread...
"Yesterday, I was out for a spin, and cruising along in 5th and came to a hill, I let it lug a bit and when I clutched to downshift, the engine increased in RPM to about 7G, I pumped the gas petal a couple of times and it came back down, this could be very dangerous if you weren't aware of the possibilities of it happening. THAT, I don't like. Along with that and the drop in RPM's at slow speed shifting, Polaris needs to come to the plate and do something. Very dangerous !!!"

This is not the first report of this issue... This has been reported several times which makes one think it is common in all units... This is very serious and must be addressed by Polaris ASAP... Are all units affected? Is current production coming off line affected?
Polaris what is causing this? How can this be corrected??? Polaris do not wait until someone gets hurt before you address this....

#18 ·
Maybe someone can get this issue on video, so that they can understand what is going on and how "serious" this issue is.

The same would be beneficial for the stalling in 1st/2nd gear problem some have commented on too.

In this way, we could also understand if the group is having the same exact issue.

#20 ·
Yep, this is the kind of thing that could doom the SS. We have well under a hundred delivered that we know of and this sounds like it's a pretty common thing. Think about the effect only a few out of Millions of units had on Toyota and earlier, Audi.

#22 ·
With the SS being a first year release, their are bound to be bugs
that need worked out.
With the help of forum members bringing these problems to light.
Polaris will not be able to ignore them, being this is a way for the
problems to be documented. Make sure you call Polaris about these
problems to get on record. Document the call what was said. Tell
Polaris your recording the call to make it legal. Same with your dealer.
Minor bugs no problem. Major problems that could injury a individual
not good and need to be addressed in a timely fashion. Maybe halt
production to correct the problem instead to sending them out to the
dealers to be corrected down the road.
Polaris you've been notified.
I know the part about halting production will not stand with a lot of
members, it's just an idea.
Thanks for bringing these problems to light from a future owner.

#48 ·
With the SS being a first year release, their are bound to be bugs
that need worked out.
With the help of forum members bringing these problems to light.
Polaris will not be able to ignore them, being this is a way for the
problems to be documented. Make sure you call Polaris about these
problems to get on record. Document the call what was said. Tell
Polaris your recording the call to make it legal. Same with your dealer.
Minor bugs no problem. Major problems that could injury a individual
not good and need to be addressed in a timely fashion. Maybe halt
production to correct the problem instead to sending them out to the
dealers to be corrected down the road.
Polaris you've been notified.
I know the part about halting production will not stand with a lot of
members, it's just an idea.
Thanks for bringing these problems to light from a future owner.
While I agree that bugs will be found (ala a loose battery cable), things like this should NEVER happen with ANY vehicle. Regardless of price. Regardless of manufacturer.

This is the sort of thing that can cause, oh, I don't know - ummm, DEATH!

Since so many people are experiencing this and quickly, I can't believe that Polaris didn't catch it with test mule vehicles.

And you are correct - 'timely' means yesterday. And yes, production should be halted until this is fixed.

I'm curious though - any mechanic types here? Sounds like this is an ECU issue versus something mechanical. Can any knowledgable folks chime in?

#25 ·
Polaris is more than welcome to come and get my SL and test it at anytime. If they need to take it back to the factory to test, then so be it. I will try and accommodate Polaris in anyway that I can to make this awesome vehicle safer for me and all of you !!! Its winter here, so a 100+ mile trip back to the dealer would be brutal to say the least, let alone my dealer having to thoroughly test drive it time and again to assure that it has been repaired.

#26 ·
@LowDid

That's very good of you to allow Polaris to pickup your vehicle for testing. That is exactly what they should do if they do not already know what is causing the RPMs to increase without warning. If they do know what is causing this they should publish the reason and a solution to the problem ASAP. This is a very serious problem and for sure Polaris will do the right thing.

#29 ·
@SlingJockey - I didn't notice it until about 230-250 miles....but it could have been because I was too cold until then when weather finally warmed up here.

As an update, pressed my dealer a bit today. They have replicated it with their two other units that just arrived today. (Fresh SL's). I pressed them and it sounds like they are going to open an incident with Polaris.

#30 ·
Not knowing all that much about this but if the ECU had the firmware of an engine that was expected to be in an auto with all the emissions etc, I assume the SS is lacking some especially the cat. Could it be the firmware based on certain conditions calculates incorrectly and causes the problem? Or am I way off base here?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.