Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
41 - 60 of 323 Posts
With all the testing and demo rides they did, why wasn't this discovered before? Somebody had to mention it. Seems like it is a wide spread issue, not just one or two.
That is the question. why? Why is it we are seeing this as a wide spread issue and it was not experienced or was discussed that we know of in all the testing? Very strange. Does Polaris have any information on this or are they just now hearing about it from this forum? That is the question. But for sure Polaris knows about it by now. Hope they address it ASAP. It is a very serious safety concern to say the least.

Mine has less than 125 miles on it and has the hanging throttle problem also. Doesn't do it every shift but it is usually the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. I've been shifting around 2300-2700 just cruising around the local roads. It usually stays around the rpm I push the clutch in at maybe rising 1-200 rpm. I'll call my dealer tomorrow and inform them so they can be looking for an update from polaris.

Stephen.
Congrats for getting yours already Stephen. Hope it warms up some so we can BOTH enjoy our rides this winter. Happy Holidays

With the SS being a first year release, their are bound to be bugs
that need worked out.
With the help of forum members bringing these problems to light.
Polaris will not be able to ignore them, being this is a way for the
problems to be documented. Make sure you call Polaris about these
problems to get on record. Document the call what was said. Tell
Polaris your recording the call to make it legal. Same with your dealer.
Minor bugs no problem. Major problems that could injury a individual
not good and need to be addressed in a timely fashion. Maybe halt
production to correct the problem instead to sending them out to the
dealers to be corrected down the road.
Polaris you've been notified.
I know the part about halting production will not stand with a lot of
members, it's just an idea.
Thanks for bringing these problems to light from a future owner.
While I agree that bugs will be found (ala a loose battery cable), things like this should NEVER happen with ANY vehicle. Regardless of price. Regardless of manufacturer.

This is the sort of thing that can cause, oh, I don't know - ummm, DEATH!

Since so many people are experiencing this and quickly, I can't believe that Polaris didn't catch it with test mule vehicles.

And you are correct - 'timely' means yesterday. And yes, production should be halted until this is fixed.

I'm curious though - any mechanic types here? Sounds like this is an ECU issue versus something mechanical. Can any knowledgable folks chime in?

Again, this is not the first report of this issue... This has been reported several times which makes one think it is common in all units... This is very serious and must be addressed by Polaris ASAP... Are all units affected? Is current production coming off line affected?
Polaris what is causing this? How can this be corrected??? Polaris do not wait until someone gets hurt before you address this....
This is about as serious a problem as one can find on a new vehicle. Depending on the driving conditions when the gas petal get stuck or worse yet increases speed on it own the driver tends to not think in a rational manner and could very easily react incorrectly. I for one do not have the patience to wait for Polaris to respond but instead feel it correct that the forum step forward and issue a safety warning to all members that have taken possession... I do not think this is over reacting to the seriousness of the situation...
Ok, follow up on the high rev problem to date. Woke up this morning to a fresh 3" of snow and still falling. The better half informed me that she needed to go to the ER, so off we went. All turned out ok there, and as we were pulling into the driveway on our return trip, my dealer called me. He asked what was going on with my Slingshot. Then he said, don't call Polaris, call me first. I explained to him that I did NOT call Polaris. He said, somehow, they got wind of it and had called him. I said that we were talking on the forum about several people having this problem, including me. I went on and explained the problem to him and he said that he would look into it and get back with me. I also told him that I had full intentions of calling him this morning. Not sure if Polaris chewed out his butt for a problem that he had no idea about. Just an unfortunate set of circumstances. Going to call my dealer back and talk with the manager.

BTW, I've mentioned before - Polaris is a client of mine and I've sent my contacts the link to this thread.

I've been willing to ignore goofy crap like terrible panel edges and what not but this is a deal breaker folks. This is already a relatively unsafe vehicle. No vehicle - and I mean NO - should ever do this.

I love the idea of this thing and I was and am still excited to put one in the stable come winter thaw. I will not pull trigger until this is 100% resolved. It's a deal breaker for me and should be for everyone. The common rationalization refrain of 'hey, it's a $20K toy' does not and will not apply here. As Otter notes, this could doom this vehicle.

Ok, follow up on the high rev problem to date. Woke up this morning to a fresh 3" of snow and still falling. The better half informed me that she needed to go to the ER, so off we went. All turned out ok there, and as we were pulling into the driveway on our return trip, my dealer called me. He asked what was going on with my Slingshot. Then he said, don't call Polaris, call me first. I explained to him that I did NOT call Polaris. He said, somehow, they got wind of it and had called him. I said that we were talking on the forum about several people having this problem, including me. I went on and explained the problem to him and he said that he would look into it and get back with me. I also told him that I had full intentions of calling him this morning. Not sure if Polaris chewed out his butt for a problem that he had no idea about. Just an unfortunate set of circumstances. Going to call my dealer back and talk with the manager.
I'd be curious to get the dealer's take - not the manager, but the owner.

As we all know, the dealers have had to shell out big bucks and floor space for the luxury of carrying this vehicle. Add to that, they had to wait months to get them (effectively avoiding the warm weather months that would mean sales). They are pissed about that - at least the owners of the dealer by me are.

Now add to the fact that they are going to spending a nice chunk of their time and energy doing warranty work. I'm not even sure that each dealer has an ASE certified tech who can work on these? It just so happens that the dealer by me (the owner) is a longtime ASE tech - that said, it's just him. He's going to be the one doing all this work - how does that impact repairs of other units - especially ATVs and Snowmobile which will need attention in the winter months.

I'd like any dealers (Kip, etc) to chime in. I'd be pissed.

Just got off of the phone with the manager, he said his service tech is digging into the rev problem. We had a long discussion about 4 cylinder engines and performance. He wasn't pissed at me for posting here and was very polite. He stated that they have 13 stores, most of which are large rental/sales of heavy equipment. In all 13 outlets, customer satisfaction is their main concern. Will keep you posted as to any feedback that I get. Thanks Polaris for your immediate response to this problem.

LowDid, Glad your better half is fine... Polaris is all over this forum constantly and knows all complaints that are stated here. Please inform this thread the "FIX" your dealer will recommend because for sure he's getting his answer direct from Polaris...
Still Polaris must issue a 'fix' directive to all dealers about this problem because this is not an isolated issue... Plus has this problem been corrected in current production?

Keeping in mind that the engine and control systems are supplied by GM, are not new, and are well known, I am confident that this concern while serious, will also be handled quickly. I can assure you that neither Polaris nor GM wants their name associated with this problem. Rational, informative, concise communication with your dealer and Polaris will help far more than taking a Chicken Little attitude.

I really don't get all the "Chicken Little" comments about the sky is falling. While I completely agree that this is a serious issue that needs quick resolution everyone needs to chill out and let Polaris at least have some time to address it. Anyone with this problem needs to get their unit into their dealer and not pick it up until they have a resolution and that could take some time. Be prepared to be without your ride for awhile.

If Polaris decides to stop shipping because of this that is their decision, not this forums. Anyone that wants to delay their purchase or not purchase an SS at all has the right to do so. Its an individual choice for everyone. Nobody here should be making blanket statements for everyone on this issue.

I really don't get all the "Chicken Little" comments about the sky is falling. While I completely agree that this is a serious issue that needs quick resolution everyone needs to chill out and let Polaris at least have some time to address it. Anyone with this problem needs to get their unit into their dealer and not pick it up until they have a resolution and that could take some time. Be prepared to be without your ride for awhile.

If Polaris decides to stop shipping because of this that is their decision, not this forums. Anyone that wants to delay their purchase or not purchase an SS at all has the right to do so. Its an individual choice for everyone. Nobody here should be making blanket statements for everyone on this issue.
I don't see anyone on this thread being "chicken little" saying the sky is falling... What I do see are several owners presenting to this forum a safety issue... I also see because of the statements on this thread Polaris has reached out to @LowDid and requested that he take it back to the dealer to get the issue resolved. If the only way Polaris will listen to us is by making statements on this forum then so be it... Hopefully the end results of the comments on this thread is this issue is resolved by Polaris...

I don't see anyone on this thread being "chicken little" saying the sky is falling...
I am with jdskycaster on this one Joe, some of the "doomed", "ASAP", "DEATH" comments are way over the top. Is this a problem? YES, will it get fixed ASAP? Absolutely.
For some members to even try and suggest that Polaris would release the Slingshot with a known issue like this is a head shaker!
It's a new product, never before entered into the market place, there will be issues like this that surface. Rest assured Polaris has the infrastructure and dealer network to deal with issues quickly. For now there is a quick a simple fix if it happens, the driver simply needs to disconnect the power train from the drive train by engaging the clutch.
This will be resolved and corrected, just relax no one needs to start calling Polaris customer service. You ask for communication from Polaris and Lowdid just gave it to you. They are aware of the problem and looking into it. We also know that they are looking at Mitch's machine right now.

While I agree that bugs will be found (ala a loose battery cable), things like this should NEVER happen with ANY vehicle. Regardless of price. Regardless of manufacturer.

This is the sort of thing that can cause, oh, I don't know - ummm, DEATH!

Since so many people are experiencing this and quickly, I can't believe that Polaris didn't catch it with test mule vehicles.

And you are correct - 'timely' means yesterday. And yes, production should be halted until this is fixed.

I'm curious though - any mechanic types here? Sounds like this is an ECU issue versus something mechanical. Can any knowledgable folks chime in?
As a designer and manufacurer of ECUs (for the experimental aircraft market) I think I can chime in. It definitely sounds like an ECU/FBW problem. I assume FBW is integrated on the SS ECU. Polaris can't even point to floor mats as the cause :)

I designed a Fly By Wire version of my ECU but while in test I experienced uncommanded throttle responses and even though I eventually found the probable cause it freaked me out so bad I canceled plans to market it.

The only time a car ECU should make any independent adjustment to the throttle is for cruise control. Only exception is for rev matching which is why I speculated that maybe Polaris or GM tried to implement that function and blew it. It IS a hard thing to do.

If it is an ECU problem, I can't imagine that any dealer mechanic is qualified to address it. If it's a mechanical hang-up of the electronic throttle pedal they might.

The only time a car ECU should make any adjustment to the throttle is for cruise control. Only exception is for rev matching which is why I speculated that maybe Polaris or GM tried to implement that function and blew it. It IS a hard thing to do.
If it is an ECU problem, I can't imagine that any dealer mechanic is qualified to address it. If it's a mechanical hang-up of the electronic throttle pedal they might.
Good post Otter, I absolutely agree with you. The Slingshot is drive by wire system and it comes down to those two things. If its a faulty pedal the mechanics can deal with it. More than likely it's in the ECU, it would be hard to believe every pedal would start having problems unless its a poor signal issue that needs to be boosted. I would put my money on a rev matching issue that will take a little time to for them re-configure the ECU program and send it out for updates. Once the program is ready dealers will be able to quickly flash the system and the problem will be solved.

41 - 60 of 323 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.