Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 323 Posts
With the SS being a first year release, their are bound to be bugs
that need worked out.
With the help of forum members bringing these problems to light.
Polaris will not be able to ignore them, being this is a way for the
problems to be documented. Make sure you call Polaris about these
problems to get on record. Document the call what was said. Tell
Polaris your recording the call to make it legal. Same with your dealer.
Minor bugs no problem. Major problems that could injury a individual
not good and need to be addressed in a timely fashion. Maybe halt
production to correct the problem instead to sending them out to the
dealers to be corrected down the road.
Polaris you've been notified.
I know the part about halting production will not stand with a lot of
members, it's just an idea.
Thanks for bringing these problems to light from a future owner.

Polaris is more than welcome to come and get my SL and test it at anytime. If they need to take it back to the factory to test, then so be it. I will try and accommodate Polaris in anyway that I can to make this awesome vehicle safer for me and all of you !!! Its winter here, so a 100+ mile trip back to the dealer would be brutal to say the least, let alone my dealer having to thoroughly test drive it time and again to assure that it has been repaired.

@LowDid

That's very good of you to allow Polaris to pickup your vehicle for testing. That is exactly what they should do if they do not already know what is causing the RPMs to increase without warning. If they do know what is causing this they should publish the reason and a solution to the problem ASAP. This is a very serious problem and for sure Polaris will do the right thing.

Curious if there is a minimum amount of miles before this starts to show up or if some see it from the start. If say > 300 miles could there be some threshold being broken the ECU can't handle correctly?

Discussion starter · #29 ·
@SlingJockey - I didn't notice it until about 230-250 miles....but it could have been because I was too cold until then when weather finally warmed up here.

As an update, pressed my dealer a bit today. They have replicated it with their two other units that just arrived today. (Fresh SL's). I pressed them and it sounds like they are going to open an incident with Polaris.

Not knowing all that much about this but if the ECU had the firmware of an engine that was expected to be in an auto with all the emissions etc, I assume the SS is lacking some especially the cat. Could it be the firmware based on certain conditions calculates incorrectly and causes the problem? Or am I way off base here?

Mine has less than 125 miles on it and has the hanging throttle problem also. Doesn't do it every shift but it is usually the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. I've been shifting around 2300-2700 just cruising around the local roads. It usually stays around the rpm I push the clutch in at maybe rising 1-200 rpm. I'll call my dealer tomorrow and inform them so they can be looking for an update from polaris.

Stephen.

Not knowing all that much about this but if the ECU had the firmware of an engine that was expected to be in an auto with all the emissions etc, I assume the SS is lacking some especially the cat. Could it be the firmware based on certain conditions calculates incorrectly and causes the problem? Or am I way off base here?
The ECU Polaris sells is supposed to be different from the ones you buy from GM, because the Polaris p/n should be preprogrammed to the SS.

Again, this is not the first report of this issue... This has been reported several times which makes one think it is common in all units... This is very serious and must be addressed by Polaris ASAP... Are all units affected? Is current production coming off line affected?
Polaris what is causing this? How can this be corrected??? Polaris do not wait until someone gets hurt before you address this....
This is about as serious a problem as one can find on a new vehicle. Depending on the driving conditions when the gas petal get stuck or worse yet increases speed on it own the driver tends to not think in a rational manner and could very easily react incorrectly. I for one do not have the patience to wait for Polaris to respond but instead feel it correct that the forum step forward and issue a safety warning to all members that have taken possession... I do not think this is over reacting to the seriousness of the situation...

Mine has less than 125 miles on it and has the hanging throttle problem also. Doesn't do it every shift but it is usually the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. I've been shifting around 2300-2700 just cruising around the local roads. It usually stays around the rpm I push the clutch in at maybe rising 1-200 rpm. I'll call my dealer tomorrow and inform them so they can be looking for an update from polaris.

Stephen.
Toobad4u, Received his SS on 12-04-14 in AL. It was built in November with VIN 1196.

@SlingJockey - I didn't notice it until about 230-250 miles....but it could have been because I was too cold until then when weather finally warmed up here.

As an update, pressed my dealer a bit today. They have replicated it with their two other units that just arrived today. (Fresh SL's). I pressed them and it sounds like they are going to open an incident with Polaris.
MitchS, took possession on 12-01-14 in IA. Built in November with VIN 1509 .

This seems widespread enough that I'm wondering if Polaris attempted the same rev matching on downshifts feature that some performance cars (Vette, M4, etc) are including. Maybe they tried and didn't test enough to get it right.

Polaris, this is a problem that existed from early production (VIN 366) to very close to present production (VIN 1509).
This is a very serious safety concern that is begging your attention. Have you corrected present production? What is the procedure to repair units currently in the hands of customers and the units at the dealers?

Has anyone even called Polaris? Don't trust your dealer to do so. I caught mine not doing shit. I have the sticker that has the shift diagram peeling off. The said they sent Polaris a request. I went by the dealer 2 weeks later to be told they are waiting for the part. I called Polaris that day about the RPMs and was told that the sticker was ordered that day not 2 weeks ago. Most of the dealers are worthless. Call Polaris to start a case before talking to your dealer!

21 - 40 of 323 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.