Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

High Hanging RPM's

43420 Views 322 Replies 66 Participants Last post by  Doc
This might be related to the other discussion around the stalling from 2nd to 1st. But its a slightly different thing so I wanted to see if others see it as well.

When being a bit aggressive after pressing the clutch in and letting off of the gas I notice the RPM's hang, at whatever RPM it was before until you actually make your shift. (Its nice as you don't have to rev match etc, but its VERY odd and keeps hanging at a very high RPM with no load.)

ANyone else seeing it. Blipping the throttle doesn't seem to improve it either. (I let it go for 4-6 seconds before I gave in and shifted.) My dealer is going to contact Polaris about it.
261 - 280 of 323 Posts
I called Polaris again and still no information. They asked I go back to the dealer and have them perform a diagnostic and send the info to Polaris.

I hope that everyone that has this issue has contacted their dealer and called Polaris themselves. Otherwise this is going to take a long time to get fixed.
Well I was out for a drive today it's 40 degrees and I took off At rather fast rate. it was at about 55 hundred rpm and it went to shift from 2nd to 3rd and the engine revved to 7000 rpm. I could not get it to shift into 3rd gear after 10 to 15 seconds the engine went back down to an idol I had the clutch in this whole time.a
A little later I ran it up to 4500 rpms in first ear and shifting to second the RPMs went up to about 5500 rpms and I couldn't get it into 2nd gear Now I have a hard time getting it to go in to reverse and several other gears hard to shift into.would this be a Clutch problem or in the gear box? I got a pair of camera glasses for Christmas so I have this on videotape Of the second incident.
I'm going to email that to my dealer. Hopefully I can take it to the factory to get repaired because it is only an hours drive from my house vs or 3 hours to the dealer
Reactions: 1
Working on it. My wife is, I'm not that tech savey
Finally got to take my SL out for a short spin after the dealer and Polaris tech went over it for a day at the dealership. Nothing has changed, same rev when it shouldn't and same rev hangs when leaving off the accelerator. Will be calling dealer in the morning, and Polaris directly to person that called me for a follow up. Sigh !!!!
Finally got to take my SL out for a short spin after the dealer and Polaris tech went over it for a day at the dealership. Nothing has changed, same rev when it shouldn't and same rev hangs when leaving off the accelerator. Will be calling dealer in the morning, and Polaris directly to person that called me for a follow up. Sigh !!!!
Thanks for the update LowDid , I wish Polaris would make a statement on this issue. Are they working on it? Are Slingshot owners just going to have to live with it ? Where does Polaris stand on this issue ? My SL has not arrived yet. But I must say some of the issues are making me nervous! I know some people say " It is only a 20K ride " But that is a lot of money for me to spend on a toy. True I am paying cash for mine. But thats not because I make a lot of money. It's because I haven't spent a lot of money! This will be the most $ I have ever spent on a toy. In fact I have not had a "New " car since 1982. I have kept my wife in a new, or near new car. But I basically drive old beaters. I have bought a few new bikes ( And my wife never complains ) And the most I ever spent on a bike was around $9500. 24 K is a lot of money to me. Is the SL going to be worth it ? I really want a Slingshot. But I would like to know that Polaris will resolve the issues. I know some people keep saying " Polaris will fix them " and I hope they do. But so far I haven't seen it. Or a statement from Polaris that gives me much confidence that they will .
See less See more
Thanks for the update LowDid , I wish Polaris would make a statement on this issue. Are they working on it? Are Slingshot owners just going to have to live with it ? Where does Polaris stand on this issue ? My SL has not arrived yet. But I must say some of the issues are making me nervous! I know some people say " It is only a 20K ride " But that is a lot of money for me to spend on a toy. True I am paying cash for mine. But thats not because I make a lot of money. It's because I haven't spent a lot of money! This will be the most $ I have ever spent on a toy. In fact I have not had a "New " car since 1982. I have kept my wife in a new, or near new car. But I basically drive old beaters. I have bought a few new bikes ( And my wife never complains ) And the most I ever spent on a bike was around $9500. 24 K is a lot of money to me. Is the SL going to be worth it ? I really want a Slingshot. But I would like to know that Polaris will resolve the issues. I know some people keep saying " Polaris will fix them " and I hope they do. But so far I haven't seen it. Or a statement from Polaris that gives me much confidence that they will .
You have every right to make a decision. Yes $20K+ is some change in pocket for some toy. It's a chance that we or some might go through with issues on the Slingshot. Anyways, Polaris does have a 2 year warranty on them or you purchase a longer warranty for security. Their is something called a "Lemon" to that I hope that we don't go through. I'm also waiting for my Titanium.
You have every right to make a decision. Yes $20K+ is some change in pocket for some toy. It's a chance that we or some might go through with issues on the Slingshot. Anyways, Polaris does have a 2 year warranty on them or you purchase a longer warranty for security. Their is something called a "Lemon" to that I hope that we don't go through. I'm also waiting for my Titanium.
I get that. But what if Polaris takes a stand that the rev Issue is " Normal " That the drive train noise is "Normal " Ever been through the lemon law process ? I have not. But I have a friend that did. And it was a long drawn out mess !!!!!
Good question (I wish Polaris would make a statement on this issue. Are they working on it?). I would offer this as a possible answer: Deniability. If it is a major issue that could be the potential cause of an accident, it would be easier to say nothing than to acknowledge that there is a problem without ordering a recall or issuing a "stop using until corrected" mandate. You know how lawsuits can become costly and I'm sure they know about it and want to fix it as quickly, safely, and quietly as possible.
Good question (I wish Polaris would make a statement on this issue. Are they working on it?). I would offer this as a possible answer: Deniability. If it is a major issue that could be the potential cause of an accident, it would be easier to say nothing than to acknowledge that there is a problem without ordering a recall or issuing a "stop using until corrected" mandate. You know how lawsuits can become costly and I'm sure they know about it and want to fix it as quickly, safely, and quietly as possible.
I agree. But They have had at least one unit in the shop with a Polaris engineer to address the rev issue. And according to that customer the issue is still there.
I agree. But They have had at least one unit in the shop with a Polaris engineer to address the rev issue. And according to that customer the issue is still there.
I think the other one with the same issue has had a fix with replacing the clutch sensor, but have not chimed in for a while. Pleas keep us in a loop or updates on fixed and unfixed RPM issues. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
I think the other one with the same issue has had a fix with replacing the clutch sensor, but have not chimed in for a while. Pleas keep us in a loop or updates on fixed and unfixed RPM issues. THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.
Maybe . I might have missed that . I hope they have a fix for it . If so, It has not been done on a very large scale.At least not yet .
I don't get it. This is a car engine that is well established so why are these problems happening? Is it because Polaris is use to their bike and off rode engines that they have dropped the ball on how to set up the motor for the Slingshot?
I don't get it. This is a car engine that is well established so why are these problems happening? Is it because Polaris is use to their bike and off rode engines that they have dropped the ball on how to set up the motor for the Slingshot?
One of the point made by local dealers when describing the power train of the s/s to buyers was the fact that while it is a GM engine, the ecu was reflashed to Polaris specs. In hindsight, I bet they would have been better off not saying anything and had deeper pockets to toss the blame at for this issue.
I have 250 miles on my SL and have started experiencing very bad high REVs and the engine shutting down completely at very low speed in mainly 2nd gear. The high REV happens normally when shifting from 2nd to 3rd or downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. This has created a safety concern when my wife is driving or any other person that does not have a lot of experience with manual stick shift. Must be addressed ASAP. FYI, my SL is VIN 520 made in September. If Polaris technician want to see it PM me.
Everyone needs to push their dealer and Polaris. I called Polaris every 2 days for 2 weeks until Polaris finally called me to take the SL to the dealer to have certain tests done. I am going today in a few hours for the diagnostics. I do not have any faith that they will find the issue from doing a diagnostic. But it's my next step. I'll report back later.

I now have close to 1900 miles on my SL and it seems to be getting worse.
I will give Polaris credit for one thing. They are certainly giving me ample opportunity to pull my deposit :)
I have 250 miles on my SL and have started experiencing very bad high REVs and the engine shutting down completely at very low speed in mainly 2nd gear. The high REV happens normally when shifting from 2nd to 3rd or downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. This has created a safety concern when my wife is driving or any other person that does not have a lot of experience with manual stick shift. Must be addressed ASAP. FYI, my SL is VIN 520 made in September. If Polaris technician want to see it PM me.
Joe, Was it you who rode in a big rain storm where you said you had water leaking in above your right foot ?

If so I am curious if this started before or after.

Joe, Was it you who rode in a big rain storm where you said you had water leaking in above your right foot ?

If so I am curious if this started before or after.

I do not know if the rain leaking on my right foot while driving is related to the high REV... But rain was leaking from somewhere above my right foot as it was on the gas petal... My right foot was soaked so it was not just a drip... Yes, I was in the rain before I noticed the first high REV... Now the high REV is on every outing... Very unpredictable... Plus now it will stall every outing pulling up to a stop sign or traffic light... again unpredictable when it will stall.. I have 250+ miles on the SL at present...
Almost two years ago I spent 40k on a 2013 Mustang GT Convertible. I owned it for one month and 1000 miles. The crap made in China Getrag six speed manual transmission sucked so bad, it made driving the car very unpleasant. I owned a Geo Metro that shifted better, and I'm not exaggerating. Needless to say, after doing much research into it, and trying an aftermarket shifter and shifter bracket, which improved the shifting slightly, but increased the NVH so much that it was ridiculous. I dumped the car.

Polaris......got your ears on there good buddy. I hope so. I didn't discover this thread till today, had I found it, say two weeks ago, the deposit would have been pulled. Too late now, it's paid for, and on its way. Probably going to take delivery Monday or Tuesday next week. If it turns out to be as bad as it sounds, I'll sell it so fast it'll make their heads spin.
261 - 280 of 323 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.