Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

High Hanging RPM's

49K views 322 replies 66 participants last post by  Doc 
Has anyone even called Polaris? Don't trust your dealer to do so. I caught mine not doing shit. I have the sticker that has the shift diagram peeling off. The said they sent Polaris a request. I went by the dealer 2 weeks later to be told they are waiting for the part. I called Polaris that day about the RPMs and was told that the sticker was ordered that day not 2 weeks ago. Most of the dealers are worthless. Call Polaris to start a case before talking to your dealer!

We have one of the very best mechanics in the state working for us, and that's more than just a feeling. If Polaris can issue a statement regarding the repair of this issue, we will know what our task is.

For now, I urge everyone experiencing this issue to take your vehicle and your VIN to your dealer and have them log the issue with Polaris with a VIN associated with the problem. As the correlation grows, this will help Polaris twofold by identifying the extent of the issue and giving them a scope of the vehicles affected by the range of the VIN.

If, however, you feel unsafe driving your Slingshot, I would recommend you call your dealer instead and make other arrangements.

Polaris provided Slingshot dealers with a lot of specialty tools and training to work on the SS, so I am confident that if they outline a fix on this issue, you dealer should be able to handle it quickly.

If your dealer can't or won't fix it when they issue a release, please come talk to us.
My dealer didnt bother to listen me. I had to call Polairs.

You should have called Polaris in your situation, but that is not the norm. Members should first call their dealership and inform them of the problem.
I called every dealer in Florida and the norm is that there are full of it. The last Polaris rep I spoke to agreed that owners should call Polaris to start a case and then have the dealer use that case # when working on the vehicle. That tells me that they know their dealers don't do thier job right.

Im not ready to throw Florida dealers under the bus quite yet .
I guess you haven't had much experience with them. I had to cancel my deposit with 3 dealers because of shady shit. Then had to call every dealer in Florida and the southern parts of Georgia, Louisiana, Alabama, and Mississippi. Most Florida dealers lied to get my business. There was only 3 or 4 that was surprisingly honest. I am not saying that all Florida dealer are full of it just most of them.

Ok guys, my dealer just called me back with this info. He said that Polaris wants to see my Sl. He also said that I had 4 options to choose from.
1. Drive or haul the Sl to the dealership and a Polaris tech would work on it there.
2. The dealer would come and pick it up.
3. Polaris would send a flatbed truck to my home and haul it to the dealership.
4. Polaris will send a tech to my home to do repairs here.
I asked him what the repairs would consist of, he said Polaris did not relay that info to him. Polaris is very concerned about this and wants to correct it immediately. I then asked my dealer, after the repairs, how will we know if the problem has been rectified. His answer was, "good question". We both agreed that the vehicle will have to be test driven for several hours at the very least. Now for the bad news, we got a foot of snow here today and the dealer got 8" of snow, making any "safe" and thorough test driving impossible. After a long discussion, even including sending the Sl back to the factory, we both agreed on waiting until the weather is more suitable for the task. However, I do have the option of choosing any of the 4 listed options at any time before the weather clears up. I do not want to risk "thinking" the problem has been rectified, I want to know for sure, as I am sure all of you want the same. My suggestion at this point is, one of the other forum members that are having the same problem, and live in a more user friendly climate to contact their dealer, tell them what this post says, have them contact Polaris and proceed with the repairs. Wish I could have better news but it is what it is. I am open for suggestions and comments. Thanks guys and gals.

Tell them they can work on mine in Miami. We have great weather done here.

I'm at 1600 miles now and last night as I slowed down to stop with the clutch in and foot off of the gas the RPMs jumped up to 3500 and stayed longer than other times. I took my foot off the clutch and watched it hang there while thinking wtf. After a few seconds it started to drop but at 2000 it went back up to 2500 and then finally dropped down to idle 750.

I don't agree about the "Don't trust your dealer to report" comment. I am a certified tech for these things and I work for a dealer that has sold them. I can assure you any dealer who doesn't report a customer concern about his vehicle issue(s) isn't certified. I (we) need owners to bring them into the dealership so we can perform test and report directly to the engineers what we are seeing/measuring and verifying. Simply calling Polaris about the issues/concerns is only going to land you on the line with a customer service rep who has NO idea how to fix your Slingshot issues.. Take it to the dealer and leave it with them long enough for them to run reports / test/ verify and report to Polaris what the machine is actually doing. Then ask for a report and documentation about your case. This will go a LONG way in getting the information Polaris needs from the field to correct concerns. If your service dealer can't provide you with that information...bad dealer. It's your vehicle, your information.
I already know I have a bad dealer that did not want to report it to Polaris. It's been to his dealer twice. If your in this industry you should know that there are a lot of people that do terrible work and are full of shit. I am not willing to drive hours to roll the dice with another dealer in the area. I had to cancel three times with Polaris dealers because they are full of shit! Disagree all you want. My experience with the dealers here is what it is. A shitty one. I now have to wait for other owners to possible get lucky in fixing theirs. A lot of people here with the same issue and only one has his fixed so far.

I'm sorry to hear that your experience with dealers in your area has been lack luster and disappointing . I meant to only make a point that taking it to the dealer is going to help facilitate a correction for concerns well known .. quicker. By the way, I'm currently working on 2 Slings with this issue and have compiled 4 pages of test/verification data in 2 days. All submitted to Polaris... and customers updated hourly.
I agree. Those with issues should take their unit to the dealer. But calling Polairs takes like 15mins and insures that they know.

I am glad you are willing to work on the issue. It's a very serious problem. My wife will no longer drive because of it. Recently, I let off the gas and my SL kept accelerating. I quickly jammed the clutch and brake hard to avoid crashing. This sucks and I'm not getting any help.

I called Polaris again and still no information. They asked I go back to the dealer and have them perform a diagnostic and send the info to Polaris.

I hope that everyone that has this issue has contacted their dealer and called Polaris themselves. Otherwise this is going to take a long time to get fixed.

Everyone needs to push their dealer and Polaris. I called Polaris every 2 days for 2 weeks until Polaris finally called me to take the SL to the dealer to have certain tests done. I am going today in a few hours for the diagnostics. I do not have any faith that they will find the issue from doing a diagnostic. But it's my next step. I'll report back later.

I now have close to 1900 miles on my SL and it seems to be getting worse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.