Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

High Hanging RPM's

49K views 322 replies 66 participants last post by  Doc 
I have been upset about not getting mine yet. But now I am starting to think the delay might be a good thing. I hope Polaris gets the issues worked out. I know this is going to come across as negative to some. But ,if Polaris spent so much time in development with the SS. How did they not catch and fix these issues before release ?

No one is, "kissing rear ends", "buying stock", or trying to cover up issues. The forum has worked exactly as it should, some great members identified a potentially serious problem and have brought it to everyone's (including Polaris and their dealers) attention. Now let it run it's course and be properly diagnosed and fixed.

I am not a negative person, I have never seen any meaningful progress be made by going overboard with criticism and bashing. Negativity begets more of the same and is why so many manufactures just don't make bold moves and introduce cool new products into the market place anymore. The over sensitivity and ridiculous demands of consumers have affected this. Read some of these reactions regarding this issue and ask yourself why the lawyers won and Volkswagen never brought the GX3 reverse trike into production.
No excuses from me, I have said it's a problem, Polaris agrees it's a problem. Cool heads will prevail, it will be diagnosed and properly repaired. Every problem can not be identified through testing alone, eventually consumers will start using a product and unforeseen issues will rise to the top. I have full confidence that Polaris will properly address the issue and repair it. I don't believe they are slow, I thought the camber issue was handle perfectly and timely considering what other manufactures would have done in that situation.
CT, I agree with you to a point. However, the high rev issue is not in the same class as the cosmetic issues that have been posted. Other than a paper cut, cosmetic issues have little chance of bodily harm. The high rev issue has the potential to injure, maim , or God forbid, kill someone. Up to this point I have not read any undue criticism . ( Just My Opinion ) Yes companies are reluctant to take a chance on products like the Slingshot. And A big KUDOS to Polaris for going out on a limb!!!! But, ( And I hope not) if someone gets seriously hurt in one of the SS's because of the high rev issue; and a law suit follows, I think it will only discourage other companies from introducing a similar vehicle. And I don't think the sky is falling. Polaris will get this issue fixed. In fact if my dealer calls tomorrow and says " Your Slingshot is in " I will enthusiastically Go get it !!! I just won't let my Wife or Daughter drive it until the high rev issue is corrected.

I do agree Dewaine, I am not trying to make light of it. I would do the same if were my wife or daughter. However, the high rev issue is completely different in a manual verse an automatic. By simply appling the clutch would avoid disaster, Evo does have a good point about a situation while coming to a stop but in that situation your feet are already in position to react quickly with one on the brake and one hovering over the clutch.
I can promise you guys Polaris is moving very quickly behind the scenes and we will have a quick resolution.:)
I agree CT. I would compress the clutch out of instinct . I have driven more than my share of clunkers over the years. Both cars and motorcycles . The SS at full throttle would not be my first unintentional full throttle ride. But you and I both know , Some people in that situation, will panic !!!!!!!

O my gosh the stories we could share, I grew up with 6 brothers. Anything with a place to mount an engine was going down the road, or bouncing through a ditch! I always drove with two feet ready for action.:D
I hear you CT. Looking back on my life. It is a miracle that I am still alive !!!!!!! And that is the truth. Some of the things I did, and survived scares the heck out of me now !!!!!!! Not proud of it. But it is what it is !!

Maybe.i can rate another dislike on this one. I deleted my other post here because someone didnt like it.

Go out and open your hood of the SS. Find the mass air flow sensor.

Let me know what you find.

I have already located it. And ill give you a hint. It aint in the intake tube. That would be a air intake temp sensor.

Ill give you the rest of the story soon as someone post where they find it
RABTECH, I did not get a chance to read your deleted post. But if you believe in your post. Let it ride !!!! To heck with those that don't agree !!!!!

I dont believe my problem with the ford was experienced by a large percent of owners, but in time the ford service reps must have taken the issue seriously and bumped it upstairs to ford co. The point I was making is sometimes issues arent always fixed in a big hurry. The only thing that looks like Polaris did in a hurry throughout the whole launch debacle was hurry units out the door with obvious cosmetic defects for all to see.

And again, Im just trying to look out for all of us and everyone wants to shoot the messenger. If you want to pretend all is good or all is ok, or all is so-so, or whatever, be my guest.
Im picking mine up tomorrow or saturday, maybe I can drive it first, idk.
Rather than doing nothing but blowing sunshine up Polaris' ass all day maybe people should get a little pissed and maybe Polaris will hire a few QC guys who can at least look over the vehicles and hold back the ones with paint dripping off the edges.
Am I asking too much here? I dont understand your point either. This is business. If I handed someone a poor product they would hand me back my ass. Grow up. Just because they make recreational vehicles doesnt mean they shouldnt be held to reasonable expectations of standards.
I agree , evomind. I think I will love my SS , If and when I get it. I'm Just not drinking the KOOL- AID !!!!!!!!!

I guess im trying to make friends. Dont want ro make anyone mad. I have a friend that has an old datsun. And way to much money. He is dropping a fresh gm 2.0 ecotec into it. And the guy installing it pointed out several shortcomings of the intake tract. He said all of them cound be overcome by software. But the placement of what he thought was the mass air metering device (which is directly behind the throttle butterfly) was going to be difficult to meter exactly. Now seriously he got way above my pay grade at that point. So I needs another tech to go out and see what he was talking about
Just tell it like you see it. And let the chips fall where they may. Not every one will agree with you. And not every one will agree with me !!! If we all thought alike , we wouldn't need a forum !!!!!!!

The C7 Corvette and M4 both have manual trans rev matching. The purests don't like it because there is no excuse for heel & toeing but the ECU does a great job of this if done right.
OK you Guys are Way, Way over my head. I just want to drive my SS without any High - Low RPM issues. But my hat is off to you for your knowledge !!!!!!!

So much for {Polaris distributing the SS equally. If somebody has paid a deposit and is number 2,3, 0r whatever they should get theirs regardless of how big a dealer is. Looks like politics; money talks, has control of what gets shipped.
I put my deposit down in Aug. And I'm still waiting. But I'm not going to push the issue . I hope when mine gets here , it will have the QC issues taken care of. If it comes in with problems, I am not going to be happy. Not after waiting as long as I have !!!!!!!

I believe Polaris' intentions with the programming aligns up perfectly with what Otter is saying. There's a whole lot of inexperienced manual-shift drivers out there (and their girlfriends who want to try it to). So Polaris programmed in some throttle delays in order to assist the novice shifter with a jolt-free transition between shifts, up or down. Imagine your cousin's girlfriend going for a test drive and it suddenly starts raining. Trust me, in a wet turn, that lone third wheel in the rear is gonna need all the assistance Polaris can give it to avoid a jolted shift, which ultimately increases the chances of maintaining traction. So basically, this entire discussion thread is not really about hanging high rpm's, but about Polaris engineers going with such aggressive programming towards safety. To a normal-to-skilled driver, it just doesn't feel normal, hence our comments.
Well I can depress the clutch to avoid an accident . But the thought of my new Slingshot revving, and free spinning to the rev limiter. Well that is really not the way I wan't to break in my new Slingshot, or any other vehicle !!!!!!!! Not to mention It could be embarrassing .

The quicker the sequence of throttle off to clutch in (especially from high throttle) the more you would notice the 'high hanging rpm' thing.

Driver habits and different situations probably account for the differing reports from owners. I'm surprised it took 10-11 seconds to for the ECU to figure out what to do though. Polaris may have taken this slow throttle response strategy a little too far.

Stan's thoughts on this helping new standard shift drivers when downshifting could be another reason. If entering a turn and downshifting, breaking the rear tire loose because of too low engine rpm could really surprise an inexperienced manual driver.
Ok OTTER, I get that. And I don't have mine yet. So I am only going by what I have read here. But hitting the rev limiter with the clutch in , and foot off the throttle . If this info is correct, then something is not RIGHT !!!!!!!!

I thought that too, but after driving my car I assumed what I observed is what they were talking about.
I could be wrong.
Well He** evomind you might be right. I don't even have mine yet. So you are way ahead of me !!!! And some Slingshots might be more prone to the high rev condition than others. At this point I'm just a keyboard Quarterback !!!!!!!!!:)

Curious. Were you holding the clutch in during that long rev hang?

If it happens again (hanging for 10+ seconds) and you think of it, try shifting quickly to neutral and let out the clutch. The clutch position switch may trigger the ECU to knock off the over rev.

If it didn't and the transmission was in gear. this really WOULD be dangerous.
Otter, You are just so far over my head . It Aint funny. But we really should not need " The Right Combo " to Drive - Ride the Slingshot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.