Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

High Hanging RPM's

49K views 322 replies 66 participants last post by  Doc 
@LowBid just reported this on another thread...
"Yesterday, I was out for a spin, and cruising along in 5th and came to a hill, I let it lug a bit and when I clutched to downshift, the engine increased in RPM to about 7G, I pumped the gas petal a couple of times and it came back down, this could be very dangerous if you weren't aware of the possibilities of it happening. THAT, I don't like. Along with that and the drop in RPM's at slow speed shifting, Polaris needs to come to the plate and do something. Very dangerous !!!"

This is not the first report of this issue... This has been reported several times which makes one think it is common in all units... This is very serious and must be addressed by Polaris ASAP... Are all units affected? Is current production coming off line affected?
Polaris what is causing this? How can this be corrected??? Polaris do not wait until someone gets hurt before you address this....

@LowDid

That's very good of you to allow Polaris to pickup your vehicle for testing. That is exactly what they should do if they do not already know what is causing the RPMs to increase without warning. If they do know what is causing this they should publish the reason and a solution to the problem ASAP. This is a very serious problem and for sure Polaris will do the right thing.

Again, this is not the first report of this issue... This has been reported several times which makes one think it is common in all units... This is very serious and must be addressed by Polaris ASAP... Are all units affected? Is current production coming off line affected?
Polaris what is causing this? How can this be corrected??? Polaris do not wait until someone gets hurt before you address this....
This is about as serious a problem as one can find on a new vehicle. Depending on the driving conditions when the gas petal get stuck or worse yet increases speed on it own the driver tends to not think in a rational manner and could very easily react incorrectly. I for one do not have the patience to wait for Polaris to respond but instead feel it correct that the forum step forward and issue a safety warning to all members that have taken possession... I do not think this is over reacting to the seriousness of the situation...

Mine has less than 125 miles on it and has the hanging throttle problem also. Doesn't do it every shift but it is usually the 1-2 and 2-3 shift. I've been shifting around 2300-2700 just cruising around the local roads. It usually stays around the rpm I push the clutch in at maybe rising 1-200 rpm. I'll call my dealer tomorrow and inform them so they can be looking for an update from polaris.

Stephen.
Toobad4u, Received his SS on 12-04-14 in AL. It was built in November with VIN 1196.

@SlingJockey - I didn't notice it until about 230-250 miles....but it could have been because I was too cold until then when weather finally warmed up here.

As an update, pressed my dealer a bit today. They have replicated it with their two other units that just arrived today. (Fresh SL's). I pressed them and it sounds like they are going to open an incident with Polaris.
MitchS, took possession on 12-01-14 in IA. Built in November with VIN 1509 .

Polaris, this is a problem that existed from early production (VIN 366) to very close to present production (VIN 1509).
This is a very serious safety concern that is begging your attention. Have you corrected present production? What is the procedure to repair units currently in the hands of customers and the units at the dealers?

With all the testing and demo rides they did, why wasn't this discovered before? Somebody had to mention it. Seems like it is a wide spread issue, not just one or two.
That is the question. why? Why is it we are seeing this as a wide spread issue and it was not experienced or was discussed that we know of in all the testing? Very strange. Does Polaris have any information on this or are they just now hearing about it from this forum? That is the question. But for sure Polaris knows about it by now. Hope they address it ASAP. It is a very serious safety concern to say the least.

Ok, follow up on the high rev problem to date. Woke up this morning to a fresh 3" of snow and still falling. The better half informed me that she needed to go to the ER, so off we went. All turned out ok there, and as we were pulling into the driveway on our return trip, my dealer called me. He asked what was going on with my Slingshot. Then he said, don't call Polaris, call me first. I explained to him that I did NOT call Polaris. He said, somehow, they got wind of it and had called him. I said that we were talking on the forum about several people having this problem, including me. I went on and explained the problem to him and he said that he would look into it and get back with me. I also told him that I had full intentions of calling him this morning. Not sure if Polaris chewed out his butt for a problem that he had no idea about. Just an unfortunate set of circumstances. Going to call my dealer back and talk with the manager.
LowDid, Glad your better half is fine... Polaris is all over this forum constantly and knows all complaints that are stated here. Please inform this thread the "FIX" your dealer will recommend because for sure he's getting his answer direct from Polaris...
Still Polaris must issue a 'fix' directive to all dealers about this problem because this is not an isolated issue... Plus has this problem been corrected in current production?

I really don't get all the "Chicken Little" comments about the sky is falling. While I completely agree that this is a serious issue that needs quick resolution everyone needs to chill out and let Polaris at least have some time to address it. Anyone with this problem needs to get their unit into their dealer and not pick it up until they have a resolution and that could take some time. Be prepared to be without your ride for awhile.

If Polaris decides to stop shipping because of this that is their decision, not this forums. Anyone that wants to delay their purchase or not purchase an SS at all has the right to do so. Its an individual choice for everyone. Nobody here should be making blanket statements for everyone on this issue.
I don't see anyone on this thread being "chicken little" saying the sky is falling... What I do see are several owners presenting to this forum a safety issue... I also see because of the statements on this thread Polaris has reached out to @LowDid and requested that he take it back to the dealer to get the issue resolved. If the only way Polaris will listen to us is by making statements on this forum then so be it... Hopefully the end results of the comments on this thread is this issue is resolved by Polaris...

I also see because of the statements on this thread Polaris has reached out to @LowDid and requested that he take it back to the dealer to get the issue resolved. If the only way Polaris will listen to us is by making statements on this forum then so be it... Hopefully the end results of the comments on this thread is this issue is resolved by Polaris...
My only point is that comments on this thread has produced a response by Polaris in effect causing them to reached out to @LowDid requesting that he take it back to the dealer to get the issue resolved. Hopefully the fix will be published here so all can have access to it if needed. It's a good day for all...

Speedy resolution?
So far I havent seen Polaris move speedy on anything, using QC as an observation in point.
I dont know why people keep making excuses for Polaris over glaring QC issues.
Do ya own stock in the company or what?
I am not one of those that is kissing the rear end of Polaris, I am not associated or an employee of Polaris. Yes, I agree with you that Polaris is not known to move fast at all... BUT Polaris did react to this forum when they reached out to @LowDid this morning... So hopefully we will get a fix to the rev problem very soon... And for sure this thread is not going away until there is a fix...

Yes, taking it to the dealer is the first step. then the dealer monkey will monkey with this and that. Then he will tell a Polaris rep he cant fix it. The rep will go to the dealership to verify. then he calls someone at Polaris. Then they wait for a decision. Then eventually Polaris might say to pull the ECU and send it up. Then Polaris will open up the ECU, and then, and then......
How long would you say that process would take???
FYI @Kip is most reliable... His association with a dealership is most helpful to this forum... I have never heard him voice an opinion that was not backed up with facts... If he says his mechanic can fix one machine with his right hand while at the same time fix another machine with his left hand I take that to be a fact... I don't question it... I am glad we have him on this forum...

Yes, as stated before I agree that Polaris does not move very fast BUT if we continue to monitor this issue we might be surprised how fast it get resolved...

Disconnect the battery and place the + and - cables together for 30 seconds to discharge any capacitors that may allow it to save its memory. then reconnect the battery and drive it at different speeds while clutching it and coming to a complete stop several times. This will allow the ecm to relearn a new idle strategy. It would be worth a try and at no cost.
@LowDid, @toobad4u , @MitchS
When you get a chance try the solution detailed above to see if this is a fix to the high REV issue... Please report back what you find...This could be a very good test and no cost solution...

Ok guys, my dealer just called me back with this info. He said that Polaris wants to see my Sl. He also said that I had 4 options to choose from.
1. Drive or haul the Sl to the dealership and a Polaris tech would work on it there.
2. The dealer would come and pick it up.
3. Polaris would send a flatbed truck to my home and haul it to the dealership.
4. Polaris will send a tech to my home to do repairs here.
I asked him what the repairs would consist of, he said Polaris did not relay that info to him. Polaris is very concerned about this and wants to correct it immediately. I then asked my dealer, after the repairs, how will we know if the problem has been rectified. His answer was, "good question". We both agreed that the vehicle will have to be test driven for several hours at the very least. Now for the bad news, we got a foot of snow here today and the dealer got 8" of snow, making any "safe" and thorough test driving impossible. After a long discussion, even including sending the Sl back to the factory, we both agreed on waiting until the weather is more suitable for the task. However, I do have the option of choosing any of the 4 listed options at any time before the weather clears up. I do not want to risk "thinking" the problem has been rectified, I want to know for sure, as I am sure all of you want the same. My suggestion at this point is, one of the other forum members that are having the same problem, and live in a more user friendly climate to contact their dealer, tell them what this post says, have them contact Polaris and proceed with the repairs. Wish I could have better news but it is what it is. I am open for suggestions and comments. Thanks guys and gals.
I am very happy for you that Polaris wants to fix the problem for you. Just shows they are very concerned about quality of product.

Please keep us informed! I will not buy one until this issue is resolved. I am a bit disappointed I have to wait now, but I think its the right thing to do at this moment. I hope Polaris fixes these issues at the production line and not have all these bikes having to go back to the dealers for fixing. I am not the type that likes going back and forth to the dealer its a real pain in the arse! I am still amazed that Polaris didn't catch these issues before the people got them. Sorry for the rant!!
I agree with you to a point.
I hope the goal of Polaris at the moment on the high REV issue should be the following:
1) find out what is causing this problem
2) find a solution to the problem
3) determine the extent of the problem
4) fix current production line first
5) notify dealers of the fix.
6) communicate findings to all owners.
From past experience #6 might be the most difficult item for Polaris to accomplish but it must be done for all to have complete confidence in the product. I have yet to receive mine but for sure I will stay because I know that Polaris will find the fix and do the right thing.

Just called my local Polaris dealer and they told me they knew nothing of such problem. They sold like 20 ss and no one has complained of such issues. He said it totally sounds like a flash issue of sort. He also stated that Polaris will be all over it to get it right. I will go tomorrow and put my deposit on one, but I told him I did not want to take delivery on one till march or April that should give Polaris plenty of time to fix these issues. He also said that issues will rise when a new machine like this comes out its not the first time and it won't be the last. I bought my 2011 cc coreyness from this dealer and I am confident they will serve me right on this purchase also.
What is the name of this dealership that has sold and delivered 20 units???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.