Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

High Hanging RPM's

49K views 322 replies 66 participants last post by  Doc 
With the SS being a first year release, their are bound to be bugs
that need worked out.
With the help of forum members bringing these problems to light.
Polaris will not be able to ignore them, being this is a way for the
problems to be documented. Make sure you call Polaris about these
problems to get on record. Document the call what was said. Tell
Polaris your recording the call to make it legal. Same with your dealer.
Minor bugs no problem. Major problems that could injury a individual
not good and need to be addressed in a timely fashion. Maybe halt
production to correct the problem instead to sending them out to the
dealers to be corrected down the road.
Polaris you've been notified.
I know the part about halting production will not stand with a lot of
members, it's just an idea.
Thanks for bringing these problems to light from a future owner.
While I agree that bugs will be found (ala a loose battery cable), things like this should NEVER happen with ANY vehicle. Regardless of price. Regardless of manufacturer.

This is the sort of thing that can cause, oh, I don't know - ummm, DEATH!

Since so many people are experiencing this and quickly, I can't believe that Polaris didn't catch it with test mule vehicles.

And you are correct - 'timely' means yesterday. And yes, production should be halted until this is fixed.

I'm curious though - any mechanic types here? Sounds like this is an ECU issue versus something mechanical. Can any knowledgable folks chime in?

BTW, I've mentioned before - Polaris is a client of mine and I've sent my contacts the link to this thread.

I've been willing to ignore goofy crap like terrible panel edges and what not but this is a deal breaker folks. This is already a relatively unsafe vehicle. No vehicle - and I mean NO - should ever do this.

I love the idea of this thing and I was and am still excited to put one in the stable come winter thaw. I will not pull trigger until this is 100% resolved. It's a deal breaker for me and should be for everyone. The common rationalization refrain of 'hey, it's a $20K toy' does not and will not apply here. As Otter notes, this could doom this vehicle.

Ok, follow up on the high rev problem to date. Woke up this morning to a fresh 3" of snow and still falling. The better half informed me that she needed to go to the ER, so off we went. All turned out ok there, and as we were pulling into the driveway on our return trip, my dealer called me. He asked what was going on with my Slingshot. Then he said, don't call Polaris, call me first. I explained to him that I did NOT call Polaris. He said, somehow, they got wind of it and had called him. I said that we were talking on the forum about several people having this problem, including me. I went on and explained the problem to him and he said that he would look into it and get back with me. I also told him that I had full intentions of calling him this morning. Not sure if Polaris chewed out his butt for a problem that he had no idea about. Just an unfortunate set of circumstances. Going to call my dealer back and talk with the manager.
I'd be curious to get the dealer's take - not the manager, but the owner.

As we all know, the dealers have had to shell out big bucks and floor space for the luxury of carrying this vehicle. Add to that, they had to wait months to get them (effectively avoiding the warm weather months that would mean sales). They are pissed about that - at least the owners of the dealer by me are.

Now add to the fact that they are going to spending a nice chunk of their time and energy doing warranty work. I'm not even sure that each dealer has an ASE certified tech who can work on these? It just so happens that the dealer by me (the owner) is a longtime ASE tech - that said, it's just him. He's going to be the one doing all this work - how does that impact repairs of other units - especially ATVs and Snowmobile which will need attention in the winter months.

I'd like any dealers (Kip, etc) to chime in. I'd be pissed.

Please keep us informed! I will not buy one until this issue is resolved. I am a bit disappointed I have to wait now, but I think its the right thing to do at this moment. I hope Polaris fixes these issues at the production line and not have all these bikes having to go back to the dealers for fixing. I am not the type that likes going back and forth to the dealer its a real pain in the arse! I am still amazed that Polaris didn't catch these issues before the people got them. Sorry for the rant!!
What he said!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.