Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

High Hanging RPM's

49K views 322 replies 66 participants last post by  Doc 
#1 ·
This might be related to the other discussion around the stalling from 2nd to 1st. But its a slightly different thing so I wanted to see if others see it as well.

When being a bit aggressive after pressing the clutch in and letting off of the gas I notice the RPM's hang, at whatever RPM it was before until you actually make your shift. (Its nice as you don't have to rev match etc, but its VERY odd and keeps hanging at a very high RPM with no load.)

ANyone else seeing it. Blipping the throttle doesn't seem to improve it either. (I let it go for 4-6 seconds before I gave in and shifted.) My dealer is going to contact Polaris about it.

Discussion starter · #29 ·
@SlingJockey - I didn't notice it until about 230-250 miles....but it could have been because I was too cold until then when weather finally warmed up here.

As an update, pressed my dealer a bit today. They have replicated it with their two other units that just arrived today. (Fresh SL's). I pressed them and it sounds like they are going to open an incident with Polaris.

Discussion starter · #137 ·
@LowDid, @toobad4u , @MitchS
When you get a chance try the solution detailed above to see if this is a fix to the high REV issue... Please report back what you find...This could be a very good test and no cost solution...
Sadly, I will not have mine back for an undisclosed amount of time due to not being able to source one of the parts to put it back together.

But on the other hand....if Polaris wants a unit to test with it.....they can use mine if they give me the part earlier ;) Hint, hint!

Discussion starter · #161 ·
Got a call from Chris at Polaris today @ noon. He asked if it was ok to send a flatbed truck to pick up my Sl, I said it was ok. We talked for a bit about the forum and Polaris does keep a very close eye on what is said here. He was willing to bend over backwards to accommodate my schedule on the truck coming.. Since I am retired, that shouldn't be a problem. He said this could happen as early as Monday and he will let me know. I asked him if he knew what the problem was exactly, he stated that they had a very good idea but didn't want to say until they had it in their hands and went over everything. Kudos Polaris !!!!
Hey Polaris....if you are listening....do me a favor can you pretty pretty pretty please help VanWall motorsports get the parts needed to repair my poor slingshot so I can get back to playing before it turns into a winter wonderland here...;);):angelic::angelic:

Ok, back on topic now, I like what I am seeing here that we could see a solution soon! This is a very good thing.

Discussion starter · #193 ·
I believe Polaris' intentions with the programming aligns up perfectly with what Otter is saying. There's a whole lot of inexperienced manual-shift drivers out there (and their girlfriends who want to try it to). So Polaris programmed in some throttle delays in order to assist the novice shifter with a jolt-free transition between shifts, up or down. Imagine your cousin's girlfriend going for a test drive and it suddenly starts raining. Trust me, in a wet turn, that lone third wheel in the rear is gonna need all the assistance Polaris can give it to avoid a jolted shift, which ultimately increases the chances of maintaining traction. So basically, this entire discussion thread is not really about hanging high rpm's, but about Polaris engineers going with such aggressive programming towards safety. To a normal-to-skilled driver, it just doesn't feel normal, hence our comments.
I can see this, but isn't it very hard on an engine to be sitting at 5,500+ RPM without any load applied for 5-10 seconds as a way of "helping" the inexperienced? (This is how I first noticed it, took off really quick, then had to stop for a sudden red, so clutch in and foot on the brakes, took about 10-11 seconds for it to finally figure out I wasn't going to upshift or what ever...)

I've always been told to avoid high RPM with no load to the engine.

Discussion starter · #196 ·
I should add that my 2015 Mustang GT does do a bit of a rev hang, but it is maybe a second or so, at most if I haven't engaged it gets right back to idle and it becomes my responsibility to make things smooth. (I'm totally good with a bit of help, but I don't want to be doing engine damage, looking like an idiot, etc with my vehicle taking things into its own hands...)

Discussion starter · #202 ·
The quicker the sequence of throttle off to clutch in (especially from high throttle) the more you would notice the 'high hanging rpm' thing.

Driver habits and different situations probably account for the differing reports from owners. I'm surprised it took 10-11 seconds to for the ECU to figure out what to do though. Polaris may have taken this slow throttle response strategy a little too far.

Stan's thoughts on this helping new standard shift drivers when downshifting could be another reason. If entering a turn and downshifting, breaking the rear tire loose because of too low engine rpm could really surprise an inexperienced manual driver.
I'd agree, the first two times I noticed it was when I made my first aggressive run with it, and shifting from 2nd to 3rd and was a bit confused. The other was another hard run and a "damnnit there is a red light" and pushed in the clutch.

Discussion starter · #209 ·
Curious. Were you holding the clutch in during that long rev hang?

If it happens again (hanging for 10+ seconds) and you think of it, try shifting quickly to neutral and let out the clutch. The clutch position switch may trigger the ECU to knock off the rev hang.

If it didn't and the transmission was in gear. this really WOULD be dangerous.
This is why I was concerned. Blipping the throttle, releasing the clutch in neutral, etc did NOT stop it. ALl of the standard things that I would have thought could stop it didn't.

Discussion starter · #228 ·
I will say that this concept is quite interesting. I saw in another post that @Stan had his issue fixed with the clutch micro switch.

Given that I don't have my SS now I've been driving my mustang more....now just after it hit 500 miles, it now does a bit of a rev hang, it is very deliberate and lasts for less than 2 seconds to where you can see what they were thinking. I'm starting to think that is what Polaris was trying to do....it just hangs longer than it should.

@Joker that is that one that happened to me though that just made me throw up my hands and say WTF!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.