Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted a dash cam on the Sling but didn't want to worry that it could get snatched quickly if I walk away. Has anyone seen any hidden dash cam solutions that worked well?

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
There are a few options I can think of:
  • Put the camera in the front grill and integrate it with the stereo head unit in the dash. It would be really similar to a backup camera setup except they have HD cameras for this. Amazon.com: INNOVV C5 Black Camera with 3 Meter Cable (Capacitor Version): Cell Phones & Accessories
  • If you don't want it in the grill you can do the same on the dash. Less likely to get stolen if it is just the lens portion exposed.
  • There are cams that are built into rearview mirrors. This would be less conspicuous and easy to install.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I have never used it, but the one in the link doesn't have a viewing screen other than your smart phone. Which is pretty cool. But if you want to be able to see it there are other cameras that a clever person or a stereo install shop can integrate into your head unit so you can view it where you would normally see your backup camera.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another idea I had is to drill a small hole in the black strip of the fin and mount a small camera inside the fin so it's got a better view of the scene, instead of just in the fender. Trying to find a way to drill the hole and make it look clean. So far a hole with a thin, clear plastic strip covering the hole is as far as I've gotten. It's not super well hidden but hard to get to, to steal.

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
When i first read this, I thought you wanted a system where the display unit would be reasonably protected from theft, but some of the responses seem focused more on the security of the cameras. I recently saw a system that had a 7" display mounted in place of the cubby hole, but I can't remember where I saw it.
Years ago, when I still rode on 2 wheels, I bought a two camera motorcycle DVR, but I never got around to installing it on my motorcycle. It had waterproof cameras for the front and rear and a recording device that was easily hidden inside one of the motorcycle cowlings. Such systems are still available. Modern motorcycle DVRs can vary greatly in price and performance. Try a Google search for "motorcycle DVR".

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
When i first read this, I thought you wanted a system where the display unit would be reasonably protected from theft, but some of the responses seem focused more on the security of the cameras. I recently saw a system that had a 7" display mounted in place of the cubby hole, but I can't remember where I saw it.
Years ago, when I still rode on 2 wheels, I bought a two camera motorcycle DVR, but I never got around to installing it on my motorcycle. It had waterproof cameras for the front and rear and a recording device that was easily hidden inside one of the motorcycle cowlings. Such systems are still available. Modern motorcycle DVRs can vary greatly in price and performance. Try a Google search for "motorcycle DVR".
I think it would be both. I can imagine if you pull up to a gas station with a GoPro on the dash, you run in for a Slurpee, you come back out and the camera is gone. Pretty temping in a convertible or an SS.

·
Registered
38 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts