Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
At the very least I'm sure you can upgrade the bulbs. In my experience, bulbs are made to burn bright or last long...not both. I put a brighter bulb in my motorcycle and it made a huge difference. HID would be better, but I'm suspect there will be options.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Why not go with some super bright and white LED bulbs and keep the projector lens?
That is what I am going to look at when I get mine.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At the very least I'm sure you can upgrade the bulbs. In my experience, bulbs are made to burn bright or last long...not both. I put a brighter bulb in my motorcycle and it made a huge difference. HID would be better, but I'm suspect there will be options.
I put 8000K HID in the T-Rex...believe me you can see far away!! For now no option about that from Polaris!:(

·
Registered
210 Posts
I put HID headlights on my Gl1800 wing for $60. Did it on my car for less then $120 (including a wiring harness). I am sure you will be able to do on the SS for less than $150. I agree there is NOTHING like HID to light the road up at night!

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I put HID headlights on my Gl1800 wing for $60. Did it on my car for less then $120 (including a wiring harness). I am sure you will be able to do on the SS for less than $150. I agree there is NOTHING like HID to light the road up at night!
Its my second mods!:hungry:

·
Registered
642 Posts
LEDs do not light far enough, but they are better for be visible in the day.
Incorrect.

Example of the LED lighting I have on my rock crawler. 10x20 CREE LED bar with clear lense H55 headlights.

This is on a tacoma (not mine). The myth that LED lights don't project needs to be put down. Given the proper reflective surfaces they throw brighter and whiter light than HIDs IMO.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Are these a replacement of the original or to add to the original?
They are the replacement of the original. (they are one-year guarantee)

The Led lights that will replace the original front lights Will be available for you guys very soon as well.

Please follow SlingMods.com very closely, we are working very close together to get you guys the best products available and with a Quality guarantee.
There is almost 17 products available for the slingshot and it will be updated as Soon as possible

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
They are the replacement of the original.

The Led lights that will replace the original front lights Will be available for you guys very soon as well.

Please follow SlingMods.com very closely, we are working very close together to get you guys the best products available and with a Quality guarantee.
There is almost 17 products available for the slingshot and it will be updated as Soon as possible
Thanks. Since you mentioned LED's and headlights I have another question, maybe you just answered it and I didn't follow. Anyway, you know how a lot of cars now days have LEDs around their headlights and most of them are bright enough they don't get washed out by the headlight. Is anyone working on those "eyebrow" type LEDs?

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Thanks. Since you mentioned LED's and headlights I have another question, maybe you just answered it and I didn't follow. Anyway, you know how a lot of cars now days have LEDs around their headlights and most of them are bright enough they don't get washed out by the headlight. Is anyone working on those "eyebrow" type LEDs?
Are you talking about the same length lights that you have as a strip on the bottom or the top similar to Mercedes or Audi? If this is what you talking about, yes they are available, but we have to wait a Little before shipping them out

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Are you talking about the same length lights that you have as a strip on the bottom or the top similar to Mercedes or Audi? If this is what you talking about, yes they are available, but we have to wait a Little before shipping them out
Yes, you see them more on 'upper end' cars. Can't wait to see what you have created. Thanks

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,152 Posts
I dont have any experience with LED headlights, but I do with HID. The only way to get the most light where you want it, is to have HID projectors with proper cutoff lines, otherwise you are blinding oncoming vehicles and you can hunt owls in the trees.
The truest white light comes from between 4k-6k depending on manufacture.
DDM Tuning has HID kits ($35) Ive had in my Goldwing with projectors($100) for 2 years now.
The projectors are designed to project HID spectrum farther with cutoffs that block the blinding upper half of the beam until you hit the brights, then the cutoff opens and delivers all the light channeled through the HID reflective projectors.
If you have ever driven a car with factory HID lights and pull up to your garage door, you can see the crisp cutoff line on the door.
Simply installing HID bulbs in Halogen designed reflectors will not give you 100% of light, and most likely will be blinding to others.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I dont have any experience with LED headlights, but I do with HID. The only way to get the most light where you want it, is to have HID projectors with proper cutoff lines, otherwise you are blinding oncoming vehicles and you can hunt owls in the trees.
The truest white light comes from between 4k-6k depending on manufacture.
DDM Tuning has HID kits ($35) Ive had in my Goldwing with projectors($100) for 2 years now.
The projectors are designed to project HID spectrum farther with cutoffs that block the blinding upper half of the beam until you hit the brights, then the cutoff opens and delivers all the light channeled through the HID reflective projectors.
If you have ever driven a car with factory HID lights and pull up to your garage door, you can see the crisp cutoff line on the door.
Simply installing HID bulbs in Halogen designed reflectors will not give you 100% of light, and most likely will be blinding to others.
I do agree that you do not have any experience! You bought one kit off the Internet for $35. And you consider this as an experienced person of H ID?!
We been dealing with lighting for very long time.
If you want to buy H ID for $35 please be my guest (i'm glad it last for two years, you're probably one of the lucky ones). SlingMods and us can sell a $35 H ID lights....but it is not our choice, since the product we selling has a higher quality than the ones that you're talking about......of course you can go on eBay and get H ID for $25 (qualities the different between them).
Is the ballast you got with your H ID , is it thin or regular? Did it pass quality guarantee before going on the market? How long did they guarantee it? I do not want to continue with all the questions because I will have to teach you everything from the beginning of how I started with H ID.

Secondly: you said/spoke about the projector , you are right , The projector has a more defined Cut off line then a reflector......but please be aware before you announce this, The slingshot is equipped with projector type headlight originally......so this issue is not affecting the owners of slingshot

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,152 Posts
HIDs are great, if you enjoy replacing bulbs and ballasts every second Tuesday of the month..
If this is your experience with HID, then your doing something wrong. I have converted several goldwings with HID and yes I can say we have replaced a couple bulbs and 1 ballast, not on the same bike over 5 years. Nothing is perfect.
Acura,Lexus,Cadillac,Mercedes all use HID lights in some of their cars and dont have this track record.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts