Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
41 - 48 of 48 Posts

· Registered
62 Posts
I find it unfortunate that this is being discussed in such a polarizing manner. The differentiating factor between slingshots versus cars and motorcycles is that combining seatbelts and helmets is dangerous without a HANS device. That is why all racing series require seatbelts, helmets, and HANS devices. When wearing a seatbelt, the added weight of the helmet greatly increases the risk of serious (even fatal) neck and basal skull injuries. This is from an article about Dale Earnhardt's death: "Basal skull fractures have killed four race drivers -- Earnhardt, Adam Petty, Kenny Irwin and Tony Roper -- in the past year and at least 12 of the 15 drivers killed in auto racing since 1991. They are caused by violent head movement in which large blood vessels at the skull's base tear, creating immediate and severe blood loss. Essentially, it is violent whiplash. With the body held immobile by over-the-shoulder seat belts, only the head can move. Once blood vessels tear, the driver can die in seconds." The heavier the helmet, the bigger the risk. So this is by no means a simple decision as some would make it out to be. I think that not wearing a seatbelt in a slingshot is far more dangerous than not wearing a helmet. Remaining within a vehicle is far safer than being ejected during an accident. But it is true that a helmet can provide significant protection, especially in a side impact where the head would likely impact the other vehicle.

So I think it is best to wear the lightest safe helmet you can find (usually carbon fiber) and your seatbelt. But in high heat situations in the SoCal desert, my helmet gets packed away.

· Registered
1,293 Posts
Though I believe that the helmet/seat belt dispute is way over played and mostly used by those folks who are just looking for a reason to argue,
Says the guy who continues to argue his OPINION. Try telling that to the Earnhardt, Petty, Irwin and Roper families. Dead is dead and the law of physics is never broken. There are 15 million ways to wreck or be wrecked and no single solution can protect you from them all including staying home.

· Registered
2 Posts
Wow! I was under the impression that the forum was to inform people not to get drama, hey at least I got my daily dose and don't have to watcha court TV show, LOL, in all seriousness guys, and all jokes aside please provide positive feedback on this topic. I believe that the question here is: are helmets required for Slingshots? the question stands because of CA Law CVC 27803 under article 7 for motorcycles (a) A driver and any passenger shall wear a safety helmet meeting requirements established pursuant to Section 27802 when riding on a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or motorized bicycle.
But section (F) under the same code 27803 article 7 states: (f) This section does not apply to a person operating, or riding as a passenger in, a fully enclosed three-wheeled motor vehicle that is not less than seven feet in length and not less than four feet in width, and has an unladen weight of 900 pounds or more, if the vehicle meets or exceeds all of the requirements of this code, the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, and the rules and regulations adopted by the United States Department of Transportation and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.
with this said a Slingshot weight is over 1500lbs, it is over 7 ft. length and and over 4 width, the questions is what determines a "fully enclosed three wheeled motor vehicle?" in comparison to a 4 wheeled motor vehicle, such as a CJ7 jeep with no doors or top. a convertible like a MX5 (Miata) Cobra, or VW dune buggy, all those have no top at all and are fully open with no protection.
Has anyone gone to court in CA and presented this to a judge? What was the outcome and what were their reasoning?
Please advise,
Thank you

· Registered
62 Posts
The problem is that the law does not define the term "Fully Enclosed" leaving it ultimately up to the cop and the judge. The CA Highway Patrol teaches seminars for police and sheriff departments where they tell them that we must wear helmets. I have shown this law (always in my glovebox) to a couple of cops when I was stopped and convinced one, but not the other. In fairness, I think the law was originally written for parking enforcement vehicles. I also think that there is a greater risk in side impacts in a Slingshot than most convertibles because you sit so low. I think my head would definitely hit the front of the car in a left side impact. I only got a warning, so no court experience.

· Registered
62 Posts
Ironically, I am doing a 4-wheel conversion. This will actually mean that as a 4-wheel motorcycle rider, the 3-wheel exemption no longer will apply. But simultaneously, I may be less likely to get pulled over for not wearing one.

· Registered
2 Posts
Ironically, I am doing a 4-wheel conversion. This will actually mean that as a 4-wheel motorcycle rider, the 3-wheel exemption no longer will apply. But simultaneously, I may be less likely to get pulled over for not wearing one.
Thank you and I'm looking to do the same 4 wheel conversion simply to add stability, as fort wearing a helmet goes? I always wear one simply because I don't trust other drivers.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts