Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the rules/laws regarding the slingshot and helmets in Southern California. Im ready to buy but don't want to wear a helemet.....

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
What are the rules/laws regarding the slingshot and helmets in Southern California. Im ready to buy but don't want to wear a helemet.....
Here is a link... Motorcycles: Motorcycle helmet laws by state In a lot of states they are not sure which way to go, Indiana is an optional state. I always carry a helmet when I travel and in 90,000+ miles only been asked once to put it on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
They are required in Ca by law however it is rarely enforced. We don’t wear ours but keep them on board in case. No Chp or local pd has ever Had issue. They usually wave and go about their business.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Slingshot is NOT a motorcycle it is an Autocycle. Should t have to wear a helmet, it’s like a convertible car
May I further suggest that you get better acquainted with the law where in most jurisdictions a SlingShot is a motorcycle first, and then comes the sub- heading of autocycles. Like here in Oregon, the SlingShot is considered an autocycle, which simply means it is a motorcycle that does not require a motorcycle endorsement to operate, but a helmet is still required. And rightfully so, for when you get right down to it, the SlingShot does not even come close, not close at all, to matching the safety standards of a convertible automobile.

Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm retired CA Law Enforcement, living in Northern Nevada and wanted to know the same thing. I'm attaching a response from a FB user forum that someone received from CHP HQ in Sacramento. As the answer is ambiguous and doesn't really answer the question I sought further help and asked a retired CHP Sgt. friend of mine. He contacted a friend at the CHP academy and was told the answer evolves around section 27803 of the CA Vehicle Code and the wording "fully enclosed." Basically CA exempted parking controllers from having to wear a helmet by adding the language "fully enclosed." Per CHP, if the slingshot has a roof they are considering fully enclosed and you do not have to wear a helmet. If it doesn't have a roof, it is not enclosed and you do have to wear a helmet. When my friend asked about convertibles?, he was told they are cars with safety equipment so the issue did not apply. Bottom line, we have a roof so we do not wear helmets but we carry small skid lids just in case.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm retired CA Law Enforcement, living in Northern Nevada and wanted to know the same thing. I'm attaching a response from a FB user forum that someone received from CHP HQ in Sacramento. As the answer is ambiguous and doesn't really answer the question I sought further help and asked a retired CHP Sgt. friend of mine. He contacted a friend at the CHP academy and was told the answer evolves around section 27803 of the CA Vehicle Code and the wording "fully enclosed." Basically CA exempted parking controllers from having to wear a helmet by adding the language "fully enclosed." Per CHP, if the slingshot has a roof they are considering fully enclosed and you do not have to wear a helmet. If it doesn't have a roof, it is not enclosed and you do have to wear a helmet. When my friend asked about convertibles?, he was told they are cars with safety equipment so the issue did not apply. Bottom line, we have a roof so we do not wear helmets but we carry small skid lids just in case.

Hope this helps.

Chris
Although considered an autocycle in California you need to wear a helmet by law. However it is not often enforced (If ever). If you have a helmet with you behind the seat the most you would get if pulled over is a "Please put on your helmet".....

·
Registered
16 Posts
Although considered an autocycle in California you need to wear a helmet by law. However it is not often enforced (If ever). If you have a helmet with you behind the seat the most you would get if pulled over is a "Please put on your helmet".....
You are incorrect. The correct information is the information I posted with the attached statement from CHP.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
This topic has been discussed hundreds of times since the conception of the SlingShot of which there is a very simple solution to this issue, either don't purchase a SlingShot, or plan on wearing a helmet if you do.

Bill

·
Registered
12 Posts
You are incorrect. The correct information is the information I posted with the attached statement from CHP.
Okay, I personally know dozens of Ca PF and 100’s of riders in California that would say differently but okay....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Okay, I personally know dozens of Ca PF and 100’s of riders in California that would say differently but okay....
In addition was on a ride a month ago with 30-40 Slingshots and NO ONE wore a helmet and encountered multiple officers on our 200 mile ride without a word from any of them..... friendly waves back and forth was the most we got.

·
Registered
12 Posts
May I further suggest that you get better acquainted with the law where in most jurisdictions a SlingShot is a motorcycle first, and then comes the sub- heading of autocycles. Like here in Oregon, the SlingShot is considered an autocycle, which simply means it is a motorcycle that does not require a motorcycle endorsement to operate, but a helmet is still required. And rightfully so, for when you get right down to it, the SlingShot does not even come close, not close at all, to matching the safety standards of a convertible automobile.

Bill
less than 10 states still consider a Slingshot a motorcycle. If you do not need a motorcycle endorsement to drive one from DMV it is clearly NOT a motorcycle.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts