Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Hello from Maryland

16K views 115 replies 18 participants last post by  Bigfoot21075 
#1 ·
I somehow did not find out about this upcoming vehicle until today! I just sold my motorcycle (H.D. bagger) and am getting ready to sell my “fun car” to make room for the next thing. I had thought I was going to either build an Exocet (I am in the I really want an Ariel Atom camp for pure driving Nirvana but are in the Budweiser budget category). Here is the Exocet - http://exomotive.com/exocet/ . Looks like a purpose built for fun only car. Yep, that should do the trick, a pain in the neck to get to the first drive as it is not built and getting it through DMV will be no fun for sure, not to mention the whole Miata donor teardown and so on. Then up comes the Slingshot. At first glance it is better looking than the Atom (by far), should be as fast as a stock Exocet (I am SURE we can make it even faster if needed via a turbo kit). Get this – it will cost the SAME as an Exocet and it is ALREADY built for me. I have to admit, at 47 years old, I would rather drive a pure fun car than toil in the garage building my own. The other great thing, it has tilt wheel and adjustable seating. At 6’5” I know I need to sacrifice to fit, but these features along with the removable steering wheel I would add help out a lot (hopefully I fit by hook or crook)! THANK YOU POLARIS!

#3 ·
I like the Exocet idea and I think it's a good route to go for people that either already have a Miata or for those that want a project.

I love buying new when I can and there is a thrill factor to buying something new right off the showroom floor. There is also a peace of mind that goes along with that knowing you have a vehicle in your garage that all you have to do is get in and drive.

#7 ·
I somehow did not find out about this upcoming vehicle until today! I just sold my motorcycle (H.D. bagger) and am getting ready to sell my “fun car” to make room for the next thing. I had thought I was going to either build an Exocet (I am in the I really want an Ariel Atom camp for pure driving Nirvana but are in the Budweiser budget category). Here is the Exocet - Exomotive - US Manufacturer of Exocars & Kit Cars | Exocet . Looks like a purpose built for fun only car. Yep, that should do the trick, a pain in the neck to get to the first drive as it is not built and getting it through DMV will be no fun for sure, not to mention the whole Miata donor teardown and so on. Then up comes the Slingshot. At first glance it is better looking than the Atom (by far), should be as fast as a stock Exocet (I am SURE we can make it even faster if needed via a turbo kit). Get this – it will cost the SAME as an Exocet and it is ALREADY built for me. I have to admit, at 47 years old, I would rather drive a pure fun car than toil in the garage building my own. The other great thing, it has tilt wheel and adjustable seating. At 6’5” I know I need to sacrifice to fit, but these features along with the removable steering wheel I would add help out a lot (hopefully I fit by hook or crook)! THANK YOU POLARIS!
Im 6'3 and good fit easy in and out, you'll be fine

#9 ·
Congrats on your purchase, Which model did you buy? I live in MD also and am in the process of checking prices and dealer inventory. Did you get your SS from Ridersville Cycle? I talked to them last week and they didn't have what I wanted in stock but seemed to have good prices. They also said they don't really know which models they will get in and when.

#24 ·
Oh, I will, I am looking for the base model black SS and will order a windshield from Sling Mods and maybe a few other goodies. If you don't mind me asking, who did you get insurance with and how much are you paying. Did you shop around for insurance? Erie, who I have my car insurance with, quoted me a price of nearly $900/yr, which I thought was pretty high. That was before the news that MD will now allow you to register them here. Not sure if that will lower the price or not. I will shop around for insurance as well. Thanks and enjoy your new ride.
Did you get you SS, I was talking to Mr. Harold from Ridesville cycle's, and he was saying he sold one to a guy that order one from him, sounded like it may have been you.

#25 ·
Yep, you nailed it. That was me. I will be picking up my black base SS from Ridersville Cycle next week. Harold was picking it up from the dealer in Winchester. His price was so much better than any other dealer around, it's definitely worth driving to WV to get it. I've already ordered my windshield from Sling Mods. I also got a great rate of insurance through Allstate at $394/yr, so I'm very pleased. It's crazy but Allstate could never get close to beating Erie on my other vehicles, but for the SS, they were less than half the quote from Erie. My stomach has been churning over this decision to buy a SS, but it's starting to sink in and I'm looking forward to picking it up next week between storms. Have you been out riding a lot? Have you noticed any problems with it yet? Weather has not been real good other than yesterday afternoon and earlier today. Do you have any plans to upgrade or add on right now. I may order some mats for it soon and maybe a few other minor things. Take care and be safe.

#34 ·
The 'book' says take it easy for the first 500 miles....so of the
'motor heads' say break it in like your going to drive it. Bought mine on Wed drove 125 miles home and left on Thu for a road trip 650 miles. Order an oil change for a vender who was going to be a the 'ralley' before I bought the Slingshot. First oil change 3 days after buying and 1250 miles. Running super 11,500 miles later.

#38 ·
KEV2NAY - I am about ready to sit down and read the manual and learn a little about what I just bought. It's been a busy day. The side of the garage where the SS sits is pretty narrow and not much room to maneuver. It's pretty wide in the front but fortunately tapers to the 1 wheel in the back. At least the SS is easy to push around on a flat surface. Yeah, sounds good about meeting up in Frederick sometime. I talked to the prep guy at Ridersville and he said all the 500 mile service is is an oil change. He said you can do it yourself but to keep receipts and records and use Polaris recommended parts.

#40 ·
On mine, had the service done at 500 miles. At 1500 miles just a CYA, I had them pull the drain plug to the rear 90 deg gearbox to see how the oil and chip plug looked. I have been lucky so far in that the chip plug (drain plug) had only fuzz on it looking like graphite which is normal. My rear seals are dry and the case is not leaking. So keep an eye on the floor for and small puddles of oil. If you see it, get it checked asap.

#46 ·
It's funny but I have only seen 1 Slingshot on the road ever and that was last summer on Rte 404 in Delaware near the MD/DE line, parked at an ice cream shop, Vanderwende's, which I highly recommend if you are ever in that area. I was immediately hooked, checked them out online, and was surprised they were "affordable". If I had not seen that one last year, I would not even know that they existed. I'm sure once July 1st passes, more will be popping up in the Maryland area.

#52 ·
Motorcycle endorsement or NOT??? Laws are all over the place.
In most states a person can now get a 3-wheel MC endorsement --
and I would strongly recommend that you do that. Not all states will
recognize the no endorsement if you titled and plated as a MC.
Indiana says you don't need the endorsement but it's titled as a MC.
I don't want to be the one questing the Officer when I get stopped???

Look into it and follow the rules in the State where you are RIDING
those are a must to follow when operating a MC.

#68 ·
Below is a quote from House Bill 805. My guess it is that MSP and MVA will decide but as of yet there is nothing in MD transportation code for autocycle. The vehicle class is just to new. They will also be dealing with eye protection like a motorcycle. One thing is clear that seatbelts are and must be worn.

requiring the Motor Vehicle Administration and the
Department of State Police to adopt certain regulations establishing equipment
standards for autocycles
; making certain conforming changes; making a certain
stylistic change; and generally relating to the application of the Maryland Vehicle
Law to autocycles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.