Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been on the forum now for quite a while watching and waiting in great anticipation. I have already put a deposit down on a slingshot about two months ago. I believe I'm the first one from that dealership there's actually done a real deposit. As you can see by my name I am a custom bike painter and so I ordered the gray base model. The reason being is gray is so much easier to work with then red! When I look at the upholstery you're pretty well stuck with red if you get an SL and gray goes with everything.....

Of course I plan to custom paint the SS this winter.

I will be learning how to navigate the site in the next few days and hope to contribute some to the forum. From the posts I've read, it appears to be one great Forum!!!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have had some experience, well about 40 years, with motorcycles. I have built several from the ground up. The RT idea was something I envisioned about five years ago and wanted to build one but never was able to. Now Polaris has done it for me. Yeah!!!!!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Welcome aboard Painter! Glad you decided to join in on the fun. I am glad to see a painter here. I can't wait to see what you come up with!
I haven't brought it up , or seen anything about it, but do you think the body is colored plastic? I don't think it is a painted surface. How will you prep or get around this, or does it matter?

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Welcome aboard Painter! Glad you decided to join in on the fun. I am glad to see a painter here. I can't wait to see what you come up with!
I haven't brought it up , or seen anything about it, but do you think the body is colored plastic? I don't think it is a painted surface. How will you prep or get around this, or does it matter?
With today's paints, there is not too much that can't be painted. I assume that the body is a poly because with the Vid's I see there is not too much flexing going on! I don't think that it is the type of plastic used on the ATV's. It's probably important to Polaris to have stable ( and road-worthy) body panels.
In addition, Metallics and pearls are not possible with colored plastic molds so I think it is a top coat for sure!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome, we need a good painter! I could keep you pretty busy.:)
Actually I am usually booked up for months! Have won a show or two across the country. But I have something very special in mind for the SS when I get her home and too cold to ride!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I love custom paint... i have some wild ideas for my slingshot.

Ryno ryan painted my Rig:)
The SS certainly lends itself to 'one-of-a-kind' paint jobs! After all .... It is pretty unique. Ideas have really been flowing in my head and after talking to my dealer, it should just be a couple of more weeks before I can have it in my drive to make my mind go CRAZY!!!

·
Registered
796 Posts
:(
I got some bad news today from my dealer. I am in Indiana and he said they received a bulletin telling them their Slingshots would not ship due to a legal issue in the state related to the street legality of the Slingshot. They were placed on a can not sell order until this issue is resolved. I would only hope with the large financial commitment the Slingshot dealers had to make, the Polaris legal department is working overtime to resolve this problem. Has anyone else heard anything about this. This is not a bullshit post, he asked if I wanted to have my deposit back or wait it out. Of course I chose to wait it out.
This posting from live4today spells bad news for our neighbors in Indiana :(

·
Registered
179 Posts
Glad to see another Hoosier, waiting for my SL from Flat Out in Matinsville. Looking forward to see what you can with a paint scheme.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad to see another Hoosier, waiting for my SL from Flat Out in Matinsville. Looking forward to see what you can with a paint scheme.
Have you heard anything about Indiana not being able to sell the SS???

Where in IN are you from ?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Have you heard anything about Indiana not being able to sell the SS???

Where in IN are you from ?
My dealer called to say they can not sell the Slingshot because Indiana DOT has not approved them. They offered us our deposit back but we said no we want to stay on the list.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Until this is resolved, I for one, and its entirely up to you folks, will NOT spend a cent in either of these states, if I have to travel through them, I will fill the tank and my belly before crossing the line. If they don't want/need the revenue created from the Slingshot and it's owners, than they don't need my money either. And that's all I have to say about that.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My dealer called to say they can not sell the Slingshot because Indiana DOT has not approved them. They offered us our deposit back but we said no we want to stay on the list.
Which dealer?

1 - 20 of 50 Posts