Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
I admit the heat is still a problem, especially during rides in the hotter Texas heat periods (basically late Spring thru early Fall ;)), but I just haven't gotten around to installing the kit. I think I could find it in just a few minutes. The extra insulation is supposed to make a big difference, especially on the early model Slingshots like my 2015.
I've got my Slingshot back up on blocks since I still want to try to add more RedLINE Heavy Shockproof lube to the angle drive, so this might be a good time to take a look at installing the extra heat shielding.The angle drive is supposed to hold about 3/4 qt, but I think it's still a little low. When I try to pump more lube in, it will take a little before istarts leaking out the fill hole. I think the close proximity of the gear to the fill hill hole means fluid wants to leak out the opening simply becasue the gear slows the flow of lube into the angle drive. This will be my 3rd fill attempt and if it starts leaking out of the fil hole, I guess I'll finally assume I've got enough lube in there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I ordered a kit last week. Should be here Monday. As soon as I get it installed I will post. But the temps are starting to cool a little here so might not be 100% accurate till it warms up again. o_O

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I admit the heat is still a problem, especially during rides in the hotter Texas heat periods (basically late Spring thru early Fall ;)), but I just haven't gotten around to installing the kit. I think I could find it in just a few minutes. The extra insulation is supposed to make a big difference, especially on the early model Slingshots like my 2015.
I've got my Slingshot back up on blocks since I still want to try to add more RedLINE Heavy Shockproof lube to the angle drive, so this might be a good time to take a look at installing the extra heat shielding.The angle drive is supposed to hold about 3/4 qt, but I think it's still a little low. When I try to pump more lube in, it will take a little before istarts leaking out the fill hole. I think the close proximity of the gear to the fill hill hole means fluid wants to leak out the opening simply becasue the gear slows the flow of lube into the angle drive. This will be my 3rd fill attempt and if it starts leaking out of the fil hole, I guess I'll finally assume I've got enough lube in there.
BKL: I jack up the left side, with a block under the frame, so that the angle drive is tilted and I can get in the best part of a quart. I've never had any to to throw out the breather tube on top of the AD. No idea if this additional bit of lube makes any diff in the long run, but it makes me feel better. LOL

Reactions: EjFord

·
Registered
5,127 Posts
BKL: I jack up the left side, with a block under the frame, so that the angle drive is tilted and I can get in the best part of a quart. I've never had any to to throw out the breather tube on top of the AD. No idea if this additional bit of lube makes any diff in the long run, but it makes me feel better. LOL
I remembered that someone had posted about tilting the Slingshot so they could add a little more lube. I use some wooden wheel blocks that I made from 2x4s and place each wheel on one of the wheel blocks, but keep the Slingshot level. Yesterday, I tried adding lube for the third time and almost as soon as I pushed the pump some lube started leaking out the fill hole. I still have it up on the blocks, so maybe I'll see if I can use my floor-jack with some blocks or a small pile of hockey pucks to get a little more lift from the jack. I already made the blocks so tall that I need to add a piece of 3/4" wood and a hockey puck that i cut some grooves for the frame rails in order to lift the Slingshot high enough to use the wheel blocks. I've been thinking about making some additional blocks and a platform for the floor-jack so I can use the floor-jack to raise the Slingshot even higher after discovering that I didn't really have enough room under the Slingshot to safely control my drill with a rotary brush to remove rust from the Slingshot's frame rails before recoating the rust areas.
After watching these two YouTube videos comparing some popular rust treatments, I decided to use Ace Rust Stop even though I had already bought some Eastwood Rust Encapsulator.
and a 1 year follow-up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the dealer install shield for me. It has made a big difference, although there is still some heat there, the shield has improved the problem greatly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This was my 2nd mod installed after I bought my Sling. I had much success in keeping the heat down up front but then the heat would travel through my transmission tunnel...which led to my 3rd mod. I installed the entire transmission tunnel mats. Now I have very minimal heat. Since then I've gotten a couple of other gadgets to keep me comfy on long distance trips. But to answer your question...yes they help.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It was my first mod. It makes a difference. I suggest combining it with other mods like an open hood vent, exhaust relocation kit, exhaust heat shield/wrap, footwell vent, transmission tunnel pad, and/or floor mats if you live in a very hot area.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts