Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Headset Communications

5K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  SlingshotSBCA 
#1 ·
My wife and I are looking at the Sena headsets. Is there one model that works better with our 19 SS than another.
W really just want to hear our GPS and talk to each other while driving.
Thoughts?

#18 ·
We had the sena smh 10's in our helmets when we had bikes. Now we have the sph 10's. They work well with no helmet and with a 1/2 helmet, although with the header and muffler (no cat) it is still difficult sometimes to hear. But we each get to listen to our own music, and that part works really well. We have them synced to our phones for music, but not for calls. I'm like you- I don't want to talk on the phone when I'm taking 30 mph curves at 60. We carry our half helmets in case we cross the border (into CA), but here in AZ we have never worn a helmet, which is why we like these rather than ones that have to be built into a helmet. Some reviews said they have a weak point and break near the earpiece. We have 2, and we handle them a little carefully, but they have survived many rides.

#3 ·
I've used Sena headsets over the years, wind noise is always the challenge, even with full face helmets. Most of these will do what you want, allow talking, hearing the GPS and even sharing music.

Getting the mic out of the wind helps tremendously, but at high way speeds, it's just a challenge to hear and understand.

#4 ·
My buddy and I have been using the S10 for a couple years or more. Biggest challenge I found was to get the speakers close to the ears. I use an open face full helmet and put small pads behind the speakers to get them close. That improved things nicely. . Some days the hearability is not so good, most days its pretty clear. Prob something to do with atmospherics
Overall, we've been very satisfied..

Reactions: BikernDiver
#7 ·
The SENA10 system worked great for us. When I first bought the sling (no windshield) I was convinced I needed and wanted to wear a helmet. Then became how do we communicate. Found and purchased two bell helmets with SENA10 integrated into the helmets. It worked great. Now almost 4 years later... I haven't worn a helmet in 3.5years. The moral of the story... do it cheap. Can you find it used? Are you a XL and L in helmet size? I have a helmet/sena set needing a new home.

#12 ·
2W2XL, I assume you are talking about 2 helmets, one L, one XL, equipped with Sena 10's, obviously being sold as a pair?
What color are the helmets and what is your price?

#13 ·
yes, that is correct. A pair of Bell Mag9sin matte black L and XL with the SENA installed. I hadn’t really considered selling them until today. I’d entertain an offer that serves us both. Otherwise need to go see what I spent, current buy price and come up with a number. They have been bagged and stored for the past 2 years. Can break them out and photograph them.

#14 ·
The Bell's are very decent helmets, in my opinion. I've worn the very similar older Mag 8's for many years. Not sure I need both but they should sell easily enough if you post a reasonable price.

#16 ·
I doubt it. They all work on making a Bluetooth connection. But I don't have the ride commander and only ever connected the SENA system to my phone. I used to have to take calls on my commute into work and my audience didn't know I was in the slingshot with the SENA and Bell Mag-9 helmet. Had to keep the wind off the mic though.

#17 ·
I have the Sena SMH-10 units installed in Bell Pit Boss half helmets which is what they are designed for. They work excellent for conversation between my wife and I and we have few instances of wind noise. The mics have a wind sock that seems to work well except when there is an unusually strong side wind.

I also have an XL Bell Mag 9 helmet in Titanium with the Sena unit (1 helmet, 1 Sena) that I could part with for a reasonable price ($100 + shipping?) if anyone is interested.

#19 ·
I bought a pair of Sena Cavalry half helmets with integrated comms. They're Bell brand lids; I chose matte black, one LG and one XL.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sena-cavalry-helmet (currently on sale 20% off)

Very pleased with them after a year. Less than half the weight of the full face helmet I wore for years on my Harley, and I was surprised how much more of the world I could see now that on three wheels I didn't have to worry about skid marks on my face. My wife used to hate wearing helmets but was very happy with the Cavalry at the end of a 900-mile jaunt up the California coast.

The audio is best for short trips or under 55 mph. For long runs at higher speeds when there's just too much wind noise for audio acuity I still wear that helmet because it's light and comfortable and legal, but use noise cancelling earbuds plugged into my phone instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.