Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 slingshot sl and I want to change the headlight. What are some custom headlight out there beside led upgrades and the 2020 conversion. I want to see Unique and something different. What does everyone have?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nothing yet, but I am planning on removing the fenders completely and go for an open wheel design with cycle fenders. So I am looking for options as well. Since the DRLs and turn signals don't look good floating out in mid air, I am looking for something to replace them. I have looked on hotrod parts sites, but they typically are too conservative in design. I am now starting to look into replacement motorcycle headlight buckets. Revzilla is a pretty good source. I am considering these lights: BikeMaster Piercing Beams Headlight | 10% ($19.99) Off! - RevZilla or these J.W. Speaker 8791 Adaptive 2 LED 7" Headlight With Pedestal Mount - RevZilla

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Try watching some of Headlight Revolution's YouTube videos where they compare name brand and off-brand LED headlights with each other and with some stock halogen headlights. One of the main things you'll learn is how poor the beam pattern can be from some of the off-brand LED headlights. Knowing this, I carefully looked at the beam patterns for Low and High beams from as many LED headlights as I could find on Amazon, EBay and some of the Chinese companies that send me email offerings. I finally took a chance and ordered these 4x6 LED headlights from Amazon - https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016OOUUWS/. They should be delivered later today and the first thing I plan on doing is powering them up and checking the beam patterns and also checking the hole spacing on the rear to see if the Y-mounts I bought off EBay will fit these headlights - Pair Mounting Brackets For Most 4x6"Inch LED Headlights Y-bracket | eBay. Next step will be to fab a means of mounting the lights to the light bar on the Slingshot. After watching a YouTube review of some stock halogen, LED and even Laser headlights, I plan on also testing how much light I can detect down the road at ranges upto 100 yards or more, meaning that a healdight wehich allows me to identify details at 50 or 100 yards is the equivalent of having about 2 - 4 seconds of warning/reaction time for 50 - 100 yards. Hopefully my neighbor won't be calling the police when I'm out in the street at night measuring off distances and beam patterns. If I can get my camera to deliver some decent pics of beam pattern and relative light brightness, I will post some pics once I GET rouns to testing things.
Headlight Revolution rates the Morimoto Super7 Bi-LED headlights as one of the best, if not the best LED replacerment headlights and sell for around $500/pr. They're designed to fit in a 7" sealed beam bucket/mount and are very popular with the Jeep set. While I liked them, I was concerned about their overall size when mounted in the outer headlight position on the Slingshot, so I decided to see how a 4x6 LED headlight would look instead. The Morimoto Super7 Bi-LED headlights look like they might be trimmed down to fit a smaller profile, although mounting them could become a problem. The Amazon units I bought were cheap enough that the headlights didn't represent a major investment so if they don't work out, I'm not out a large amount of money and can try again with a better LED headlight.
IMO, Headlight Revolution (LED Headlight Bulbs, HID Conversion Kits and Aftermarket Headlight Housings) and The Retrofit Source (Universal Headlights | Sealed Beams | JW Speaker | Morimoto) have the best selection and variety of LED replacement headlights from the major manufacturers and any LED headlight they sell will have been carefully evaluated for performance and fit.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking about use of these lights. I was thinking about making a plate that can hold 3 lights on each size so I would have 6 total on the outside and the factory ones in the middle. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I was thinking about use of these lights. I was thinking about making a plate that can hold 3 lights on each size so I would have 6 total on the outside and the factory ones in the middle. What do you guys think?
I'd recommend checking the beam pattern to ensure that the lights project a wide, but low pattern that can penetrate down the road w/o shining up above the trunk of any vehicle in front of you. If the lights can be aimed so they don't go above the trunk of a vehicle in front of you, then they shouldn't blind oncoming drivers. Here's a 4x6 LED headlight listing that shows what should be a good beam pattern if the pictures accurately reflect a decent range for the headlight - 1pc Motorcycle Rectangular 4X6inch LED Headlight Projector High Low Beam Sealed | eBay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will look by I think they will look good with three lights in each side so a total of 8 lights in front. That should be plenty of light

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I ordered some 4x6 LED headlight units from Amazon and some mounts that bolt to the back of the headlights off EBay, but I now think I'll get better lighting from a pair of the Morimoto Sealed3 Bi-LED headlights ($180 each - Sealed3: Morimoto 90mm LED Headlights All Beams /Bi-LED I XD). I contacted TheRetroFitSource asking if they had done a YouTube demo of the Sealed3 headlights and they said they were so new they hadn't done eny demos. The Sealed 3 High/Low units are out of stock until around Oct 20, 2020. When I finally find some time to look at the light patterns produced by the Amazon LED 4x6 headlights, I'll try to get something posted.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Here's an update reflecting my current thoughts on trying to get better headlights mounted on my 2015 Slingshot.

After initially powering up one of the 4x6 rectangular LED headlights (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B016OOUUWS/) and seeing how much light it produced and looking at its pattern/spread, I'm not that interested in that style headlight, although I still need to test how the headlight actually functions at night. While returning from a night Slingshot ride a few weeks ago, I rode ahead of a tractor-trailer setup that appeared to have the same LED setup with 3 rows of LEDs with only the top row and middle LED of the second row powered on Low beam. The light pattern didn't seem too bad, but I can't be sure that the truck had the same brand of LED headlights.

As I wrote above, the Morimoto Sealed3 LED headlights seem to be well-regarded, but since they're still very new to the market, there isn't much in the way of reviews. The Dual Beam Hi/Low version of the Sealed3 headlights cost $180 each, but the only pattern pictures I've found (see - Sealed3: Morimoto 90mm LED Headlights All Beams /Bi-LED I XD) are not clearly labeled to allow me to determine which picture is for the High Beam only version or the High/Low beam version of the Sealed3 headlight.

Several years ago when I started thinking about increased light output for my Slingshot, I also looked at Hella headlights, but focused primarily on Hella's 60mm models since I already knew the Hella 90mm Hi/Low Halogen units used on the 2015 Slingshots were reportedly too large to fit as outer headlights, at least as far as bolt-in alternatives. I recently started looking more closely at Hella's 90mm halogen headlights and am still researching to see if I can fit both a High beam and a Low beam 90mm Hella headlight in the outer headlight location on my Slingshot. I became particularly interested in these headlights after finding new units for sale on EBay where It looks like I can buy two 90mm High beam and two 90mm Low beam headlights as well as 4 sets of Hella 90mm mounting brackets for about $25 more than one of the High/Low beam Morimoto Sealed3 headlights. I still need to make sure that I can fit both a High and a Low beam headlight in the same space the standard Slingshot Auxiliary headlight and Canadian Headlight normally occupy, although I doubt I will be able to use the stock Slingshot outer headlight cover/bezel. Here's the Ebay links for the headlights and bracket -

Based on reviews I've read from folks who have used these headlights as replacements on Mazda Miatas, Pontiac Firebirds and motorhomes, these headlights seem to produce more light than the headlights they replaced, but I'd still like to learn more about haw far the headlights can project usable light down the road and more about the beam patterns. Here is some info on what I've found so far -
Classic.jpg BeamPatterns.jpg LowBeam.jpg HighBeam.jpg
If I can indeed fit both High and Low beam assemblies into the space available for the Slingshot's outer headlights, I think these units may be my best choice, especially at the price of roughly $205 for the four headlights and mounting brackets.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I am for this as long as the headlights are brighter, but do not blind oncoming traffic. I used to avoid driving at night due to problems with my eyes, but then modern technology cured that issue. Now I am back to being reluctant to drive at night because of all these idiots out there putting in brighter lamps and not giving a damn that they are blinding oncoming drivers!

Bill

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
I am for this as long as the headlights are brighter, but do not blind oncoming traffic. I used to avoid driving at night due to problems with my eyes, but then modern technology cured that issue. Now I am back to being reluctant to drive at night because of all these idiots out there putting in brighter lamps and not giving a damn that they are blinding oncoming drivers!

Bill
I run LED headlights bulbs that produce more light than the stock halogen bulbs, but I also re-aimed my headlights following the process in the Owner's Manual to ensure that light output on Low beam stays below the trunk lid of the vehicle in front of me. Once I did that I haven't gotten flashed because of extraneous light in a long time. I do sometimes have folks flash their High beams as a kneejerk reaction to having 6 headlights on my Slingshot, even though they're all properly aimed. Having a decent Low beam cutoff is one of the main reasons I prefer Hella or Morimoto units and was the primary reason I don't think the Amazon 4x6 LED headlights will meet my beam pattern and aim-ability requirements.
Some of the newer vehicles have blinding light output (recent model years Ford pickups being a prime example. Between the auxiliary driving lights basically being at eye-level with a Slingshot driver's sight-line and the 4 headlights most Ford pickups seem to have on ALL of the time, I frequently find myself blinded until the flamethrowers are past me!

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
My apologies if it looks like I have taken over this thread!
10.24.20 - Minor update - Here's a picture of the mounting holes for the current Auxiliary headlight and the Canadian Headlight superimposed on a full-size drawing of the Hella 90mm headlight units -
90mmvsCH-MountingHoleSpacing.jpg
Given the differences between the mounting holes for the two sets of headlights, I'm not sure if there is enough metal in the stock outer headlight bracket to handle the 90mm Hella units.

Here is a picture showing how a modified outer headlight bezel might accommodate the 90mm headlight diameters -
90mmVsbezelClearances.jpg
As mentioned in the above pic, trying to figure out where to drill mounting holes either in the stock outer headlight bracket (assuming the bracket is large enough to handle the larger mounting hole spacing) or to properly position a bracket that would actually position the high and low beam Hella 90mm properly within each bezel. While I was taking the above photos, I realized the Hella 60mm high or low beam headlight units should probably be an easier fit since the outer auxiliary headlight and the CH headlights are both uses 60mm lenses. I have read positive comments about the 60mm units producing light output similar to the Hella 90mm units, but I'm not sure if replacing the 60mm stock/CH headlight units with the Hella 60mm units will make that much difference.

I have an old CH headlight that I removed the lens from (my Wife wanted it for a project) and I am thinking about cutting the front portion of the headlight that had held the lens so that I can trace a full-size template to superimpose over the Full-Size Template I show above.This should help me figure out fitment, or I just may risk the $205 cost so I can physically place the 90m headlight units to see if I can make things work.
Anyway, this shows where my current thought processes have taken me.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Update on my headlight efforts - After ordering 4 Hella brackets and not realizing the vnedor had a minimum order quantity of 20 and receiving a refund, I ordered the 4 Hella Classic 90mm headlight mounting brackets from Rallylights.com and selected the cheapest shipping option (around $17.50 for 2-day delivery via USPS Parcel Post). I placed my order at 0135 on Friday, Nov 6 and Rallylights had my shipment at USPS by mid-afternoon that day. I was thrilled to expect delivery by 9 pm Monday, Nov 9. Unfortunately, USPS must have thought my order was an absentee ballot and I still don't have a new delivery date. I have purchased 2 pieces of 6"x12"x1/8" aluminum sheets I plan on using to fab mounting sheets to bolt to the existing headlight mounting brackets in the Slingshot. After I finally receive the Hella 90mm Classic headlight mounting brackets I will figure out where to mount each bracket on the 1/8" aluminum sheets to position the headlights the way I want them. Then, I'll probably start a new DIY thread to document how and what I've done.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
SORRY FOR THE REPOST! Don't know how that happened.
Update on my headlight efforts - After ordering 4 Hella brackets and not realizing the vnedor had a minimum order quantity of 20 and receiving a refund, I ordered the 4 Hella Classic 90mm headlight mounting brackets from Rallylights.com and selected the cheapest shipping option (around $17.50 for 2-day delivery via USPS Parcel Post). I placed my order at 0135 on Friday, Nov 6 and Rallylights had my shipment at USPS by mid-afternoon that day. I was thrilled to expect delivery by 9 pm Monday, Nov 9. Unfortunately, USPS must have thought my order was an absentee ballot and I still don't have a new delivery date. I have purchased 2 pieces of 6"x12"x1/8" aluminum sheets I plan on using to fab mounting sheets to bolt to the existing headlight mounting brackets in the Slingshot. After I finally receive the Hella brackets I will figure out where to mount each bracket on the 1/8" aluminum sheets to position the headlights the way I want them. Then, I'll probably start a new DIY thread to document how and what I've done.

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Here's more info on things I've thought about to get to this point -

Here's a couple pics of the H4 4x6 rectangular LED headlights I bought from Amazon and the mounts I got off Ebay.
20201101_015602.jpg 20201101_015635.jpg
As shown in the second pic, these LED headlight bulbs use a normal H4 connector. The EBay mounts can be attached so the headlight can mount to the body below or above the headlight by simply vertically flipping how the bracket is mounted to the headlight bulb. The EBay bracket can be adjusted both horizontally and vertically using just the 2 bolts in the bracket. The LED headlights were around $60 for a set of 4 and a set of two of the EBay brackets were less than $13 with free shipping.
I tested them in my Family Room, but haven't checked the headlight pattern outdoors at night. Based on the initial indoor testing, I’m not sure the 4x6 rectangular headlights will produce a decent enough horizontal low-beam spread and the high-beam pattern appeared to have a central circular pattern even though the same LEDs that produce the low-beam are still on in high-beam operation.
I still hope to try and capture some night pics that give some idea of the light patterns and throw of these headlights and will post the pics once I get around to testing them outdoors at night. I am currently leaning towards just setting up a headlight in the street in front of my home at the same height it would be mounted to my Slingshot. There are some highway end of street bars at the end of my street that should give some idea about the throw of the these lights.

Here are some pics of the Hella 90mm Classic headlights I bought from EBay. They were priced well from NewEnglandIndustrial's EBay store and significantly cheaper than Amazon.
H9HiBeam.jpg H9LoBeamProjector.jpg
The left pic shows the reflector Hi beam unit and the right pic shows the projector Low beam. Both bulbs come with a H9 conventional bulb, but if I can figure out how to mount them, I also want to try some LED bulbs in them. With the stock outer headlight mounting frame in place, I thought it might be possible to enlarge the holes in the front trim piece to allow clearance for the larger 90mm headlights, but I now believe I will need to fab a new trim piece. Here's a pic of the stock outer headlight bracket (taken from the rear to show the tab used to secure the headlight assembly in place) -
Inked20201101_164351_LI.jpg
I'm in the process of fabbing a mounting plate from foam board to transfer to a 1/8" aluminum mounting plate. My current plan id to drill out the center to allow the 1/8" aluminum plate to clear the mounting tab (circled in RED). I also plan on mounting the Hella mounting brackets to the aluminum plate, but it might also be possible to use one of the brackets to determine where to drill holes in the aluminum plate to eliminate the need for the Hella brackets. Note - The stock bracket is shown with the rear side forward since it was easier to photograph it that way, but the outer headlight should be a little higher than the inner headlight once things are properly oriented. I plan on mounting the Hella low Beam projectors in the outer-most position with the High Beams reflectors in the inner position while still having the dual Hella Hi-Lo units I already have in the center. My CH units are currently wired for Hi-Lo operation, so I'll rewire the connector to just work on High beam, giving me 4 headlights on Low beam (2 center Low beam units plus the 2 outer Low beam units) and 6 headlights when in High beam operation (2 outer Low beam units plus the inner reflector High beams and the center High beams).

Update - USPS found my headlight brackets package! With luck, it should be here in a few days, hopefully not 2 weeks!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
Just saw an email from USPS saying my package had made it to the North Houston Processing Center. That's less than around 30 miles away, so, with luck, it should be delivered in the next week or so, but I've already been waiting almost the dreaded Slingshot "2 weeks!"
;)

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
My Hella brackets actually got delivered today, so maybe I can get some thing done over the next week or so. I'll probably move future posts to a new thread.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts