Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am attempting to replace the stock headlight bulbs with LED bulbs in the Canadian headlights (inside light of double outside lights) I added to my USA headlights so I would have the six headlights. I would also like to replace the two middle headlights with LED bulbs. I have the wire colors for the bulbs high/low/ground. I need the wire colors on the Slingshot for the corresponding high/low/ground wires. This is my first thread so I thank you in advance.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
I am attempting to replace the stock headlight bulbs with LED bulbs in the Canadian headlights (inside light of double outside lights) I added to my USA headlights so I would have the six headlights. I would also like to replace the two middle headlights with LED bulbs. I have the wire colors for the bulbs high/low/ground. I need the wire colors on the Slingshot for the corresponding high/low/ground wires. This is my first thread so I thank you in advance.
image.jpeg

·
Registered
346 Posts
TricLED and Cycle Springs sell plug and play LEDs. I think others do also. Cycle Springs did my center (bright) LEDs at Eureka last fall. They added the Canadian outers also but we're not done testing the outer LEDs yet.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
As the diagram shows, the Center headlight only uses two wires to power the bulb, with the High Beam shutter mechanism controlled by separate wires going to each Center headlight (LH_NA_Power and RH_NA_Power). According to either the Owner's Manual or the Service Manual (can't remember which), the entire headlight mechanism needs to be replaced if the High Beam shutter stops working properly.
From your description, it sounds like you don't have the correct LED bulbs for the Center headlights. They need to be H9-compliant bulbs which should have two connecting wires and just insert into the headlight like the OEM halogen bulbs. The outer Canadian headlight bulbs require three wires.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the information and help. Might be back to the drawing board for me (or Cycle Springs). I had HID's on the USA lights but they do suck a lot of juice and hope to go with all LED' eventually in the six lights. (But after reading some other posts, maybe a combination of LED and HID is the answer. )

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I have the Cycle Springs Canadian headlights and CS LED bulbs in all 6 headlights. I have the outer auxiliary headlights running on the Fog Light circuit and usually have them turned off because I had to aim the outer headlights up so much to see any appreciable increase in lighting from the Canadian dual beam headlights that the auxiliary headlights were aimed too high. Personally, I felt the HID units I got from DDMTuning produced more usable light at a distance, while the CS LEDs seem to have a wider fan of light at the expense of distance.
I want to keep the outer auxiliary headlights on a switched circuit as a backup in case my main headlights continue to have problems. I have the Polaris headlight fix and so far haven't had a problem, but before the fix my center lights exhibited temperature and speed-related issues and would sometimes go out during warmer temps and/or if I went over 60 mph and then come back on once I slowed to 40 mph.
As far as HID vs LED power requirements, the CS center LEDs (36W) are equivalent to 35W HIDs in terms of current and light output (but with differing light patterns). 55W HIDs will produce approximately 50% more light output at approximately 50% higher current draw compared to 35W units. The CS outer LEDs only draw 26W each.
In addition to the wider light spread, another thing I like about the CS LEDs is that the equivalent of HID ballast is integrated into the Center LEDs and is much smaller than the HID equivalent for the four outer LEDs.
In hopes of getting both lots of distance lighting and wider side illumination, I may reinstall the center HIDs and use washers to shim the outer lights so that I have better aiming control for each of the outer headlights. I'll probably think about this for awhile since installing the washers will be a complete PITA and will probably require multiple removals and reinstalls of the headlight units to test the impact of the added washers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts