Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

What is important to you in a quality header?

• Stainless Steel

Votes: 20 57.1%
  • Tig Welded

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Ceramic Coated

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • 4-2-1 Design

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Stainless Steel Flange

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
Very interesting what type of muffler do you think you're going to recommend to run with this type of set up?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
And yes, I do want a muffler. The sound of BMW's optional Performance Exhaust systems would be good. Nice snarl when on the gas but subdued when just cruis'n.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
What are your expectations for HP gains?

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I had a Boss Hoss Trike with a 385 HP 350. Took the mufflers off and ran straight stainless out the back.... was not loud at all. Everyone liked the change.

Reactions: MrWinn

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hope someone comes up with a exhaust system that exists out the back. The only place I think it would be possible would be down the center of the SS. After seeing the SS up close there wasn't any room on the side.
Just what does a person need to do when you mention a tune. Are you talking a dyno tune. This will be my first vehicle that I'll be having a Turbo installed. Sorry for the dumb question but this term is new to me.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Hope someone comes up with a exhaust system that exists out the back. The only place I think it would be possible would be down the center of the SS. After seeing the SS up close there wasn't any room on the side.
Just what does a person need to do when you mention a tune. Are you talking a dyno tune. This will be my first vehicle that I'll be having a Turbo installed. Sorry for the dumb question but this term is new to me.
Thanks
No question is dumb and don't ever feel you are nagging or being bothersome by asking questions. A tune is to set it up on the dyno and recalibrate the ecu either to make adjustments to enhance the stock SS or to make adjustments to modifications made to ensure safe operation.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Sling. Are you talking about an aftermarket ECM controller?
I think this would be needed if you are changing the intake or even with the radical exhaust. I don't know too much about EcoTech and how far the ECM is able to differentiate.

·
Registered
532 Posts
No question is dumb and don't ever feel you are nagging or being bothersome by asking questions. A tune is to set it up on the dyno and recalibrate the ecu either to make adjustments to enhance the stock SS or to make adjustments to modifications made to ensure safe operation.
The oem ecu. No need for a piggy back. GM ecu's are super easy to reprogram.
Thanks for your response.
Do you see any problems accessing the stock ECU and making the necessary change.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Thanks for your response.
Do you see any problems accessing the stock ECU and making the necessary change.
Thanks
Wont know until we get one. Their is speculation that the OBD port is replaced by a polaris specific plug. If thats true a adapter will have to be made. But other than that its easy to plug in and retune a gm ecu.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I've been flowing the topic about the adapter. Hope someone comes up with one so the members can buy it. They'll sale like Hot Cakes.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I've been flowing the topic about the adapter. Hope someone comes up with one so the members can buy it. They'll sale like Hot Cakes.
If it's just a connector change, I'll be all over it and will make adapters (or at least instructions & parts list) available to the list.

Of course it is possible that Polaris changed the ECU communications protocol enough to make it impractical to hack. All in the interest of "protecting their customers"...

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
Lexus/Mopar Ecu's are some of the hardest to crack, but it can be done and has been done many times. Getting in a Polaris ECU's will be like doing 1st grade math. I doubt the GM/bosh ecu has some crazy new lock. And if it did since its a GM LE5 engine just swap out the ecu for one that was not made for a SS and reprogram it.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Impossible no, impractical maybe. I DO want to be driving my SS, not my PC! :)

But yeah, if it isn't the same, I'll be plugging in a GM ECU at the first sign of trouble from the stocker.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts