Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was one of the original owners of the 2015 Slingshot and while I really enjoyed it and used it quite extensively, I was however turned off by the recalls and other reliability issues at the time. That and the fact that the dealer support was somewhat lacking, not very close and required a drive through areas that are very congested and downright dangerous. This ultimately led to my decision to part with it and move on.
I ended up purchasing a 2017 Shelby GT350 followed the next year by a 2018 Cayman GTS. I owned both cars simultaneously for a year. I found myself driving and enjoying the Cayman more than the Shelby and sold the Shelby. During this time I frequently found myself lamenting the Slingshot. The cars perform far better in every conceivable way, and well they should. But, the Slingshot just has a different fun factor that no car or motorcycle can equal.
The last few years I found myself contemplating yet again jumping back in and getting another Slingshot, but in the back of my mind the myriad niggling issues that plagued the early models were still a concern and I didn’t do it.
This morning, Slingking who I have stayed in contact with the last five years emailed me a video overview of the new 2020 model. I have to say, I am intrigued with the changes made and once again I am thinking about the Slingshot.

So I have a general question in mind and I know it’s not pertinent to the new model.
Has Polaris addressed the early issues i.e. the noisy driveline, wonky vague on center steering, rear wheel bushings and other common issues that for whatever reason fail to come to mind at the moment? In other words, have they taken steps to increase the overall reliability and address the customers complaints with subsequent model years?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.

·
Vendor
631 Posts
I was one of the original owners of the 2015 Slingshot and while I really enjoyed it and used it quite extensively, I was however turned off by the recalls and other reliability issues at the time. That and the fact that the dealer support was somewhat lacking, not very close and required a drive through areas that are very congested and downright dangerous. This ultimately led to my decision to part with it and move on.
I ended up purchasing a 2017 Shelby GT350 followed the next year by a 2018 Cayman GTS. I owned both cars simultaneously for a year. I found myself driving and enjoying the Cayman more than the Shelby and sold the Shelby. During this time I frequently found myself lamenting the Slingshot. The cars perform far better in every conceivable way, and well they should. But, the Slingshot just has a different fun factor that no car or motorcycle can equal.
The last few years I found myself contemplating yet again jumping back in and getting another Slingshot, but in the back of my mind the myriad niggling issues that plagued the early models were still a concern and I didn’t do it.
This morning, Slingking who I have stayed in contact with the last five years emailed me a video overview of the new 2020 model. I have to say, I am intrigued with the changes made and once again I am thinking about the Slingshot.

So I have a general question in mind and I know it’s not pertinent to the new model.
Has Polaris addressed the early issues i.e. the noisy driveline, wonky vague on center steering, rear wheel bushings and other common issues that for whatever reason fail to come to mind at the moment? In other words, have they taken steps to increase the overall reliability and address the customers complaints with subsequent model years?

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
Had a chance to go to the reveal out in Vegas a couple weeks ago and ask the engineers a lot of questions. The complete angle drive has been redesigned to be quieter and stronger. The case is strengthened and the gear ratio changed, all the ones driving out there had a quite rear. The steering rack is completely different now, the old rack was 3.5 turns lock to lock, the new rack is much quicker and only 2.5 turns lock to lock. The interior is much better than the first gen, the new engine is super smooth, they have been listening and seemed to make changes all over the new 2020 Slingshot.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
121 Posts
Too early to tell if they successfully addressed the early issues, but the early reviews are positive. But, with a new drivetrain for 2020, new issues could arise. Wait a few months and see what owners are saying.

·
I'm huge in Japan...
1,816 Posts
Have nothing to add about the 2020, but good to see you and Slingking are still out there.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Good to see that ever so familiar persona of yours Wriggly, we see that you have not changed! Thinking back, Wriggly, to respond to your question honestly, if you were to once again decide to purchase another SlingShot, there probably is little doubt that you would still be able to find just as much to complain about with the newer SlingShots as when you had yours. Which begs us to share that while you have been gone, our 2015 has continued adding on the miles while taking us wherever we want to go reliably and without complaint, getting better and better the more we ride it, while continuing to be one hell of a lotta fun! (y)

What color was you thinking of getting? Have you happened to notice that Polaris has brought back the same Red Pearl as the original 2015 and 2016 SlingShots?

Bill

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dealers not being able to fix problems is a common complaint on this forum. If they haven’t learned how to fix the old version what is the chance they can fix the new one. At least with the old one you get the engine worked on by a GM mechanic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts