Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

Has Your Angle Drive Leaked?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Suggest we add choice per model year to get the whole picture. 2015 Y/N 2016 Y/N 2016.5 Y/N... Then in details specify what seal has leaked if known and create a spreadsheet.

Or better yet, host a google form asking the questions and post it to google sheets. If you'd like, I can create the form/sheet and get the ball rolling. I then can give read/write ability to anyone who needs it.

The responses sheet can be set so that anyone with the link can view it.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No good deed goes unpunished.

So what do you want, you want me to delete this poll? Jesus, I was just trying to help out Ulflyer as he said he was not sure how to do it.

·
Registered
827 Posts
No good deed goes unpunished.

So what do you want, you want me to delete this poll? Jesus, I was just trying to help out Ulflyer as he said he was not sure how to do it.
:confused: Just helping... No need to get hurt feelings. I suggest a sticky with the links created to capture survey and results for anyone to track.

I set conditional formatting so the rows are green for no leaks and red for leaks.

·
Registered
827 Posts
We are a stronger community as a team!

Reactions: Melloreel

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
:confused: Just helping... No need to get hurt feelings. I suggest a sticky with the links created to capture survey and results for anyone to track.

I set conditional formatting so the rows are green for no leaks and red for leaks.
No worries man. I just posted the poll as simple as possible as Ulflyer mentioned he was not sure how to do it. That was really the only thing I intended to do and then be done with it.

You have some good ideas to take it to the next level and I welcome that.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Not sure where my leak is from exactly, but when I took it to the dealer he said he's ordering a seal for me and will call me in 1-2 weeks to get it done. Is it fine to drive while it drops a few drops of oil Daily? Also the whine is pretty loud, people ask if I have a turbo installed smh, what should I tell dealer to adjust? Belt need to be loosened? Belt nut needs adjustment? I've attached a pic of where I seen the leak and how much fell over night.

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Not sure where my leak is from exactly, but when I took it to the dealer he said he's ordering a seal for me and will call me in 1-2 weeks to get it done. Is it fine to drive while it drops a few drops of oil Daily? Also the whine is pretty loud, people ask if I have a turbo installed smh, what should I tell dealer to adjust? Belt need to be loosened? Belt nut needs adjustment? I've attached a pic of where I seen the leak and how much fell over night.
When you have time, read this and start from the beginning. I think this will answer your questions. It did mine.
Some food for thought???

·
Registered
827 Posts
Found a leak in mine last night. Side.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but probably the best place for this. Seems there is still an issue with new angle drives.

From the moment I rode out of the dealer, I noticed a whine from under the passenger seat that I didn't remember hearing on the test drive model. Got more pronounced as it got hot. I expected some noise from the belt and rear wheel, but this was pretty loud, sounded like the whistle of a bomb dropping as you slowed down. Mentioned it to the service manager. Rode it for a while, brought it in for the 500 miles service. Wasn't on the lift for more than a few minutes before they called me down to look at it. The whine was from the belt drifting and being way offset. But the front seal on the angle drive was leaking. Not only that, but the front bearing was shot, obviously noisy. Service manager got the authorization to replace the whole angle drive. He also said this is a regular thing, lots of failures of this part. What is different, he said, was that Polaris asked for the serial number of the drive, something they had not done previously. Service manager suspects they are looking at a recall.

So, had to drive it home 2 hours while they wait for the part, and I get t drive it another 2 hours back to the dealer to have it replaced. By the time I got home I was hearing some metallic noises from the drive. Hope I make it back to the dealer.....

Reactions: WI_Hedgehog

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mine whines ,howls,screams and yells I just turn the music up and keep going, noise went down a bit after switching fluids to M1 75w/140 @500 miles.

It made it through last weekend ride where i attempted(keyword) to keep up with Henry and Phil, bounced off the rev limiter on pretty much every gear under 4, gave it a check yesterday and no leaks anywhere so i figure everything is good regardless of the noise it makes.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine whines ,howls,screams and yells I just turn the music up and keep going, noise went down a bit after switching fluids to M1 75w/140 @500 miles.

It made it through last weekend ride where i attempted(keyword) to keep up with Henry and Phil, bounced off the rev limiter on pretty much every gear under 4, gave it a check yesterday and no leaks anywhere so i figure everything is good regardless of the noise it makes.
When I was about 17 I had a friend Scott whose Dad's name was Roy. Roy was just too cool for school.

I remember after we rebuilt Scott's '66 Mustang GT 289 with Roy's help (machine shop connections out the ying-yang due to the fact he ran a heavy equipment dealership) it was running just a tad rough.

Roy looked at us two young and stupid 17 year olds and said "Take it out and run the living piss out of it. If it's running rough when you get back we'll figure it out".

We took it out and ran the living piss out of it and sure as shit, after about 15 miles it was running great. LOL. True story.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Output shaft seal once, input shaft seal once, oily dirt on gearbox again now but no drips. Gearbox very quiet though, hardly makes any noise. Oil changed three times,(once a year). Use 100% non synthetic Lucas Oil Stabilzer.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
Two years old, 10,000 miles, no leaks. Our whine appeared to never be as bad as others were claiming, but even with that, we just took return of our SS after doing the recalls, driving it the 140 miles home the whine is significantly better than when we took it in. Why? No clue!

Bill and Justina

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
The new angle drive is in, appt next tuesday to get it replaced. Will have them fix the sticky brake switch too. Doesn't turn off sometimes.

Hoping for a much quieter ride when this is done!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Mine is dripping... Just noticed maybe 2 weeks ago... Out of factory warranty and no extended warranty... Hoping service dealer has good will... It's in the rear...

2015 base...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts