Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
261 - 269 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Okay folks, I did the Pioneer TS-G1345R upgrade. Great Choice. IMMEDIATE improvement for $40.

But what size is the next speaker? I've seen posted here that it's a 3.5". So I bought a pair of Pioneer TS-A878 3.5" speakers. No Fit! These speakers are at least 1" larger than the stock middle speaker. I measured the stock and they measure about 3" between the mounting hole, or about 2.5" across the speaker. Any Suggestions?

·
Welcome to the Grey Bar Bed and Breakfast.
694 Posts
Okay folks, I did the Pioneer TS-G1345R upgrade. Great Choice. IMMEDIATE improvement for $40.

But what size is the next speaker? I've seen posted here that it's a 3.5". So I bought a pair of Pioneer TS-A878 3.5" speakers. No Fit! These speakers are at least 1" larger than the stock middle speaker. I measured the stock and they measure about 3" between the mounting hole, or about 2.5" across the speaker. Any Suggestions?
View attachment 64689 View attachment 64681

Switched out the stock speakers with some Pioneer products. The 5.25 drops right in, but the 4 inch and 7/8 inch speakers needed some drilling and trimming to get them in. I used a 2 inch saw for the tweeter and a 3.5 inch saw for the middle speaker. The stock mounting bolt hole was used to center the saw on the tweeter. The 3.5 inch saw fit right in the plastic molded ring on the back of the speaker housing. I used a Dremel to round out the rest of the middle speaker until there was a tight fit. I also needed to trim the mounting tabs from the 4 inch speaker. I had to take my time cutting and fitting as I did not want to have to cut too much material off. I secured the 4 inch speaker using some Loctite Go 2 Glue on the lip of the speaker hole. It has to set up for 24 hours and now it's not going anywhere. The metal back to the tweeter need to be cut to fit inside the housing. I made the one cut seen in the photo with a hacksaw. I found that I needed to make a second cut on the bracket when I went to bolt the housing together. The second cut is on the side of the bracket facing the 4 inch speaker. I wanted to keep the 4 inch trim ring so I used Loctite Go 2 Glue on the screen to the speaker, as well to the mounting screws that I shortened with a hacksaw to make it look like it was mounted using the screws.

I reinstalled the speaker pods last night. The sound is amazing! The neighbors half a block down the street thought so too.(lol) It was worth the effort, but a bit unnerving cutting up the plastic. This was a relatively inexpensive upgrade for the Slingshot for around $90.00.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Thanks CptJeep.

I was hoping there would be a "drop-in" option for the 3.5" speaker, but I might just take your advice and open up the pod and work them that way. I might even be able to mount them from the inside since we have plenty of depth there.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts

If you are happy with the sound from your new Pioneer speakers, you may want to consider just disconnecting the old mid-range and tweeter speakers. The Pioneer speakers you used are rated at 97dB sensitivity meaning they are far more efficient than most other speakers which typically fall closer to 88 dB sensitivity on average. You may find you barely even notice if the old mid-range and tweeter are disconnected since the Pioneers are so much more effective at reproducing sound. Here's a good article about speaker sensitivity - What You Probably Don't Know (But Need To!) About Speaker Sensitivity

If you really feel you need to replace the original mid-range and tweeter speakers, try to find replacements that are as close as possible to the Pioneer's 97 dB sensitivity so the sound from each speaker will be in close balance. Using the Pioneers at 97 dB sensitivity with lower sensitivity speakers will result in the Pioneers overpowering the outputs of the smaller speakers.

·
Registered
246 Posts
If you are happy with the sound from your new Pioneer speakers, you may want to consider just disconnecting the old mid-range and tweeter speakers. The Pioneer speakers you used are rated at 97dB sensitivity meaning they are far more efficient than most other speakers which typically fall closer to 88 dB sensitivity on average. You may find you barely even notice if the old mid-range and tweeter are disconnected since the Pioneers are so much more effective at reproducing sound. Here's a good article about speaker sensitivity - What You Probably Don't Know (But Need To!) About Speaker Sensitivity

If you really feel you need to replace the original mid-range and tweeter speakers, try to find replacements that are as close as possible to the Pioneer's 97 dB sensitivity so the sound from each speaker will be in close balance. Using the Pioneers at 97 dB sensitivity with lower sensitivity speakers will result in the Pioneers overpowering the outputs of the smaller speakers.
If you do that then you want to connect the pioneers in front of the cross over. Or is the 5.25 speaker fed directly and the mid and tweets run thru a high pass filter?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
If you do that then you want to connect the pioneers in front of the cross over. Or is the 5.25 speaker fed directly and the mid and tweets run thru a high pass filter?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
It's been so long since I got rid of the factory boxes, I can't remember where the crossover hooked up. I simply cut all of the wires and wired directly to the 5.25" speakers. Unfortunately, I wasn't aware of the performance of the Pioneer units at the time and the speakers I used lacked the sensitivity of the Pioneers.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I read about 75% of this whole thread only to realize most of this is from years ago. Took me looking up the Massive Audio speakers to realize that. Then I went out to my 2017 SLR and noticed my speaker boxes are totally different and house one 6 1/2" & one tweeter. So after tearing down a box, I researched 6 1/2" 3 ways on best buy and went n picked these up: Kenwood KFC-650. Installed and just left the factory tweeters disconnected. Had to mildly persuade the factory grill to fit. All in all, very easy and sounds much much better now. I removed the embarrassing Rockford Fosgate logo from the grill, they should be ashamed for manufacturing these pitiful speakers. Luckily I didn't need an amp, really didn't want to do that much work just for a couple small speakers.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I did both Kicker KM marine LED 6.5inch fronts and a Kicker KM Marine LED 10 inch sub behind the drivers seat. See below items at Kicker.com.

Marine Speakers, Subwoofers and Amplifiers | KICKER®

I haven't driven an SL to really know how great the stock stereo is. I am sure these Kickers are way nicer from they way people are describing the stock system.

Below are a couple of pics that may be useful.

Some ghetto rigged up testing...

The connectors for the speakers. Should be easy to use stock wiring to these connectors. The send the other matching females in the box.

You should be able to easily take out the 5.25s and add a 5.25 to 6.5 speaker ring to mount new 6.5s.

See below ones on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_11?url=search-alias=automotive&field-keywords=5.25+to+6.5+speaker+adapter&sprefix=5.25+to+6.5,aps,364

The 5.25" to 6.5" speaker rings. I see its written Harley, Audi etc behind many of them. Do the Harley ring fit on the Slingshot or which of the rings do you use for the 6.5" KM marine kicker?

261 - 269 of 269 Posts