Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
241 - 260 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
I shimmed the grills just a tad because the cone hits the recess in them. About 3/16". But you don't have to do anything else. And I should say, even that might not be necessary. Because that cone thing in the center of the speaker is structural, it doesn't flex. I think it might be there to protect what's underneath it.
I installed the Pioneers last night. Because the OEM grill was hitting the center of the speakers I used the Pioneer grill. Everything else was OEM including the hardware. I just had to open the holes in the grill a little to fit the OEM screws with a drill bit. I tried to offset the hole a tad to allow the screen mesh to fit better because of the bigger screw head. All in all a very easy swap and I didn't even have to remove the pod from the SS.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I installed the Pioneers last night. Because the OEM grill was hitting the center of the speakers I used the Pioneer grill. Everything else was OEM including the hardware. I just had to open the holes in the grill a little to fit the OEM screws with a drill bit. I tried to offset the hole a tad to allow the screen mesh to fit better because of the bigger screw head. All in all a very easy swap and I didn't even have to remove the pod from the SS.
Pioneer grill?? That was something extra you purchased? Wish I saw that, I would have done the same thing. See you Sunday??

·
Registered
738 Posts
Pioneer grill?? That was something extra you purchased? Wish I saw that, I would have done the same thing. See you Sunday??
Nope, I paid $32 and it came with the grills. It's funny cause if you look at my box it shows the grill on the second speaker from the left and yours doesn't.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Man, I got hosed!! Great deal Pub!!! I got mine at Best Buy and paid $49!!!! I saw them on Amazon for less, but I didn't want to wait.
Yeah, that's where I got mine -Amazon, I'm a prime member so everything comes free shipping (usually 2 day) and no tax.

·
Registered
53 Posts
im on the fence about going with this SK5 and LX4 setup on my SS. or waiting and going with the SSV pods. I have a Jensen Head unit and will be using 2 amps. in addition to the 10" driver subwoofer

·
ALPHA - Home of the V8 Slingshot
3,173 Posts
im on the fence about going with this SK5 and LX4 setup on my SS. or waiting and going with the SSV pods. I have a Jensen Head unit and will be using 2 amps. in addition to the 10" driver subwoofer
I would go with SSV pods and get better speakers. The others are good for the money but they will still distort on higher volume.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Went with the Pioneers. 30.00 on Amazon. No grills. Used the stockers. They sound quite a bit better then the oem's. VERY cheap upgrade. If they last a coupla years then I win! With the Madstadt screen, the system isn't bad at all.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Man, I got hosed!! Great deal Pub!!! I got mine at Best Buy and paid $49!!!! I saw them on Amazon for less, but I didn't want to wait.
FYI -- Best Buy will now price match Amazon. Went there last week with cell phone in hand and showed them their $59.99 item on Amazon for $44 -- no questions asked price match. As I understand it, it is a new company-wide policy.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I installed the Pioneers and instead of spacers, I simply took the stock covers, laid them on a soft surface, face down and used a small hammer to gently persuade the center of the screen outward. When I was finished, the center area was almost flush (not much of the "ring" bent inward). Mounted them back over the speaker with out any touching. If you didn't know how they looked before, you'd never know they had been modified!!!
Here's some before and after shots:
Before:

After:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I guess I'm a little nuts or something, but my factory speakers in my SS don't pop or make any different distorted noises at all volume ranges. Ive read through this entire thread and I was surprised with how many other SS owners are having this issue. I don't doubt for a minute that the stock speakers are cheap, but for me, mine are working really well.

I wonder how many of the SS owners that have said their factory speakers aren't good are from older SS? I bought mine 03/31/16. I'm just wondering if they might have used different speakers in the newer SS or that something is different somewhere with them.

I know some of you out there will laugh at this. But I don't know how many times I've had teenagers as well as others say how good the speakers sound. Like I say, I think the factory ones in mine sound really good. I've even taken the volume up to 29 and theres no cracking or popping. I'm using an iPhone with Bluetooth for the music. Sling on

241 - 260 of 269 Posts