Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
221 - 240 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
IMO, yes they sound better overall. The stock speakers look like they came out of a radio shack transistor radio. Yes, that model number is correct.
My guess is besides costs is that they wanted a very high efficient speaker even at the trade off of sound quality. That way they could keep the wattage down on the head unit (cost savings)? And still get some volume out.

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
OK. My Boss Audio SK553 3-way speakers were delivered today. The Polaris grill doesn't fit the BA speakers as the mid-range and tweeter stick out too far. By removing the rubber boot covering the back of the magnet, there are no significant clearance issues other than a little stiffness from the wires depending on how the speakers are oriented. This means I didn't need the $11 PVC spacers I ordered. To use the BA grills, I removed the Polaris screws and clip-nuts and used the screws and clip-nuts supplied with the BA speakers. I also removed the OEM crossover, cutting the wires a couple inches away from the tweeters. I left the disconnected mid-range speakers and tweeters in place to fill the holes that would be there if I removed them.
I'm hoping to get a face-plate for the cubby hole cut via water-jet next week and will try to see how things sound then and also try to get some polyfill for the enclosures..

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
The Pyle PLMR51B 5.25'' MARINE SPEAKERS appear to be a low-cost, direct-fit, bolt-in alternative, requiring only 1.5" clearance. Not the highest quality speakers, but listed on Amazon as a 50W RMS speaker set for less than $14 - Amazon.com: Pyle PLMR51B Dual 5.25'' Waterproof Marine Speakers, 2-Way Full Range Stereo Sound, 100 Watt, Black (Pair): Car Electronics
I still haven't powered up the Boss Audio SK553 3-way speakers I described earlier, but these appear to offer a decently rated alternative based on the Amazon ratings.

·
Registered
901 Posts
@jaytizzl, you're the man!!!! I just put those Pioneer speakers in, and what a difference!! Cranked it way up louder than I usually listen, and increased the bass to almost max (+4). Sound is amazing, and does not "crack" at all! Thank you for this!! Hey Phil buddy, post those pics I sent you please!!!

·
Registered
5,298 Posts
@jaytizzl, you're the man!!!! I just put those Pioneer speakers in, and what a difference!! Cranked it way up louder than I usually listen, and increased the bass to almost max (+4). Sound is amazing, and does not "crack" at all! Thank you for this!! Hey Phil buddy, post those pics I sent you please!!!
What pics? These? When did you send them to me? I haven't seen them yet buddy.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #227 ·
glad they worked out for you. Hopefully this weekend, I'll be putting a little power to mine and a couple of subs to help the low end with the help of @TheRock.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I shimmed the grills just a tad because the cone hits the recess in them. About 3/16". But you don't have to do anything else. And I should say, even that might not be necessary. Because that cone thing in the center of the speaker is structural, it doesn't flex. I think it might be there to protect what's underneath it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Check out the MB Quart 6.5 in marine coaxials. They come in black or white and for those that like bling, they have the optional ones that light up (different colors too).

MB Quart used to be considered some of the best speakers around back when i was in my carfi days. I haven't been into car audio in years but I doubt they slipped as far as sound and quality goes.

I'm considering a pair for my sling to replace the terrible stock speakers.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Are those pioneers marine grade
On the box, it states they are "water resistant". With that said, the stock speakers are NOT marine grade. When comparing the two speakers side by side, you'll see that the Pioneer are probably better equipped to ward off the detrimental effects of a serious water bath. @jaytizzl is absolutely right, they don't need to be. My suggestion to anyone wanting to replace them, take the 90 seconds to remove one and take it to Best Buy. Pull the Pioneer out of the box and compare them. I wouldn't insist on marine grade speakers, unless I was taking a power washer to the interior!!

·
Registered
738 Posts
On the box, it states they are "water resistant". With that said, the stock speakers are NOT marine grade. When comparing the two speakers side by side, you'll see that the Pioneer are probably better equipped to ward off the detrimental effects of a serious water bath. @jaytizzl is absolutely right, they don't need to be. My suggestion to anyone wanting to replace them, take the 90 seconds to remove one and take it to Best Buy. Pull the Pioneer out of the box and compare them. I wouldn't insist on marine grade speakers, unless I was taking a power washer to the interior!!
I agree, based on what I saw, the OEM speakers didn't look like they were waterproof. Besides, for $32 who cares if the Pioneers aren't waterproof. If you got several seasons with them it would be well worth it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Plus looks like they are pretty efficient. So they sound ok with the oem stereo power? No amp required
That's a loaded question!!! Again, I'm not a music aficionado. If you're a guy that wants to go boom,boom,boom, with your stereo, then you need major sound horsepower that you'll find info on in the forum by the folks that have done it. All I'm saying, is that this is WAY better than stock, but nowhere near as quality as the people that have amps in their cargo boxes, I'm guessing.
My stock speakers made cracking/slapping sounds. Had to back the bass to -4, and still did it. Put these in, put the bass up to +4, and up to 21 on the volume control, and no snap, crackle, pop! I normally listen between 12 - 16 on the volume. Hope this helps!

221 - 240 of 269 Posts