Polaris Slingshot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I'm sure that would be good. The only big issue is speaker depth with those stock pods. Measure before you order.

If I were you, I'd think really seriously about getting a spacer adapter ring and splurging on some 6.5 inch components. Lots of nice ones out there.

Reactions: jaytizzl

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure that would be good. The only big issue is speaker depth with those stock pods. Measure before you order.

If I were you, I'd think really seriously about getting a spacer adapter ring and splurging on some 6.5 inch components. Lots of nice ones out there.
yeah i was just looking at the SSV speaker pods.. do you know anything about them?

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I have the SSV pods with kicker 6.5 marine coaxials.

What questions do you have?

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the SSV pods with kicker 6.5 marine coaxials.

What questions do you have?
how do they sound compared to the stock speakers? also how does it hook up from the factory connector to the kickers?

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just installed some ssv pods with Kicker 6.5 LED speakers along with a fusion stereo with Kenwood amp, it kicks @ass.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I did both Kicker KM marine LED 6.5inch fronts and a Kicker KM Marine LED 10 inch sub behind the drivers seat. See below items at Kicker.com.

http://www.kicker.com/marine-audio

I haven't driven an SL to really know how great the stock stereo is. I am sure these Kickers are way nicer from they way people are describing the stock system.

Below are a couple of pics that may be useful.

Some ghetto rigged up testing...

The connectors for the speakers. Should be easy to use stock wiring to these connectors. The send the other matching females in the box.

You should be able to easily take out the 5.25s and add a 5.25 to 6.5 speaker ring to mount new 6.5s.

See below ones on Amazon...
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_11?url=search-alias=automotive&field-keywords=5.25+to+6.5+speaker+adapter&sprefix=5.25+to+6.5,aps,364

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Reactions: hyper dr

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
Great question.... I have no idea on what the stock SL stereo has for wattage.

It doesn't say on the website either. It probably isn't a lot consider the size and the 6 speakers it is powering...

·
Registered
510 Posts
yes, please do.
I got the speakers installed with the SSV works pods and it sounds great. It would be nice to have more bass with a sub, but I'm not willing to give up the storage compartments behind the seat just yet. I'm using the stock Polaris head unit and was impressed how well it integrated with my iphone.

The speakers I used were:
Kicker 41KM652C 6.5" 2-Way 2 Ohm Coaxial Marine Speakers. Here's a photo of the stock speakers with the kicker:

I like how the speaker grille matches the wheels. :)

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
@dascrow

Check out this shallow 10 inch sub that gets really good rating for a shallow mount sub. You could put it right into the storage door with a backplate and it would only take up 3.25 inches of the storage area.

Size: 10"
Max. Music Power (Nominal): 1,200 W (300 W)
Frequency Response 20 Hz to 125 Hz
Sensitivity (1 W/1 m) 91 dB
Impedance Single 4 Ohm
Mounting Depth 3-1/8"
Cut-Out Dimensions 9-1/8"
Recommended Enclosure 0.35 to 0.75 cu. ft.

Not bad for a $80 woofer. Just an idea I thought I would throw out there.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
I'm going to do a DIY write up on the process of mounting a sub this way. Should have it up here by Sunday.

Rab said it sounds good and has videos in other threads.

Depending on the woofer and how you mount it, you will lose 4-8 inches of storage space where the sub magnet sits in the compartment.

I really would worry about it getting wet, but if you are... Go with a marine subwoofer. I went with a free air Kicker Marine LED 10 inch to match my 6.5s up front.

1 - 20 of 269 Posts