Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beyond happy, after months of research and reading forums I finally purchased a 2015 Slingshot. The machine looks perfect and the communication with the previous owner is fantastic. Here is my problem, the Slingshot is in Anamosa, Iowa, I am in Atlanta GA. A transport broker has been trying for 12 days to find a carrier to ship it, no luck. We agreed on $600 which is a reasonable price. Here is the problem, since the SS has the 3 wheel on the middle, a standard transport with two parallel ramps can't take it, only a trailer with a full ramp (flat bed) can do it, which cost over $1,000, and before you ask, I am too much of a chicken to drive it 860 miles in winter time. no sir!! Any suggestions?

·
WE ARE SLINGERS...
617 Posts
I wish I was closer and would pick it up for you. I have a trailer that was built for the Slingshot. Maybe someone with a trailer in your area will help you out.

On the other hand if the roads aren't snowed in go get it yourself and drive it back. I have always said its not about the destination but its about the story.

Good luck with it. You are going to love it and all the information you can find on this site.

Spud

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I was closer and would pick it up for you. I have a trailer that was built for the Slingshot. Maybe someone with a trailer in your area will help you out.

On the other hand if the roads aren't snowed in go get it yourself and drive it back. I have always said its not about the destination but its about the story.

Good luck with it. You are going to love it and all the information you can find on this site.

Spud
Thanks for the encouragement Spud! I checked the weather in that part of the country and for the next 10 days the highest temperature is 35 and snow shower every other day. No ready for that type of adrenaline or pneumonia.

·
W.H.O.R.E. (We Haul Our Ride Everywhere)
1,601 Posts
I am beyond happy, after months of research and reading forums I finally purchased a 2015 Slingshot. The machine looks perfect and the communication with the previous owner is fantastic. Here is my problem, the Slingshot is in Anamosa, Iowa, I am in Atlanta GA. A transport broker has been trying for 12 days to find a carrier to ship it, no luck. We agreed on $600 which is a reasonable price. Here is the problem, since the SS has the 3 wheel on the middle, a standard transport with two parallel ramps can't take it, only a trailer with a full ramp (flat bed) can do it, which cost over $1,000, and before you ask, I am too much of a chicken to drive it 860 miles in winter time. no sir!! Any suggestions?
If you agreed on $600 it sounds to me like you don't have a problem, your transport broker does ! Did you get it in writing ? You could try splitting the difference with him a good deal is only a good deal when both parties walk away happy. Just a heads up if you find a private party that will do it make sure your new toy is properly insured. Good luck I wish I could help more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How about if someone could get it a few hundred miles south and go get it and drive home
That is a good idea. Nashville TN is almost half way and 4 hours from Atlanta which is not too bad. I think I can manage that drive.... I'll ask the previous owner if he knows someone. Thanks for the idea Funcycle

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
That is a good idea. Nashville TN is almost half way and 4 hours from Atlanta which is not too bad. I think I can manage that drive.... I'll ask the previous owner if he knows someone. Thanks for the idea Funcycle
Could be a relay. You would not even know you were in it for 4 hours, just layer up on clothes and take a full face helmet and gloves

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
JCAtlanta, Welcome to the world of Sling Insanity. Living in Northern Indiana I do a lot of cold weather riding. Riding in the
cold one can work with, 12 volt heated seat pad (about $30.00),
Snow and Ice on the roads just a NO -- NO. Cold 35 degree rain like to day definite NO.

I recently got a trailer that will handle the Slingshot --- a simple 7 x 14ft 2 axel open utility trailer. A major problem with any trailer is the ramp --- you only have 5 in ground clearance --- on my trailer we changed the ramp gate from a standard 4ft to a 6 ft. and than jack up the front when attached to the tow vechiel as much as you can and you should have clearance to load. A single axel will carry the Slingshot --- but you do need at least the 7 x 14.

I would not try to drive it home from Iowa to Atlanta until at least Mid March. Than bundled up head as far south as you can get before you head east.

Keep us all in the loop and we'll try to help you make it happen.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
JCAtlanta, Welcome to the world of Sling Insanity. Living in Northern Indiana I do a lot of cold weather riding. Riding in the
cold one can work with, 12 volt heated seat pad (about $30.00),
Snow and Ice on the roads just a NO -- NO. Cold 35 degree rain like to day definite NO.

I recently got a trailer that will handle the Slingshot --- a simple 7 x 14ft 2 axel open utility trailer. A major problem with any trailer is the ramp --- you only have 5 in ground clearance --- on my trailer we changed the ramp gate from a standard 4ft to a 6 ft. and than jack up the front when attached to the tow vechiel as much as you can and you should have clearance to load. A single axel will carry the Slingshot --- but you do need at least the 7 x 14.

I would not try to drive it home from Iowa to Atlanta until at least Mid March. Than bundled up head as far south as you can get before you head east.

Keep us all in the loop and we'll try to help you make it happen.
Thanks Ej!!

·
I have moved on!
2,899 Posts
@JCAtlanta the sling fits easily into a closed car hauler with a ramp door. 14' or longer. Maybe you can find someone to trailer it halfway. That style of trailer can sometimes be rented.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Quick update! I still don't have my Slingshot but I received my beautiful Roof helmets. They look fantastic and only took 2 1/2 weeks to get them from Netherlands. About the SS, after 12 days waiting for the carrier, he called and asked me for 50% of the agreed price. Since I don't like to play games, I decided to keep shopping around. I am talking with a few guys in uShip. I'll keep you guys updated.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454902494.046899.jpg

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
Quick update! I still don't have my Slingshot but I received my beautiful Roof helmets. They look fantastic and only took 2 1/2 weeks to get them from Netherlands. About the SS, after 12 days waiting for the carrier, he called and asked me for 50% of the agreed price. Since I don't like to play games, I decided to keep shopping around. I am talking with a few guys in uShip. I'll keep you guys updated. View attachment 42127
I do like the look of those Roof helmets. Congrats on the new ride and finding a transporter. Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts