Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! Here's a thread for general turbocharging system questions and discussions, with the emphasis on turbocharging product that Hahn RaceCraft is developing for Slingshot. Let's consider this a round-table discussion, all are welcome, no question is too simple or too complex. While I may try to steer the conversation to our product, I also love to talk boost in a general sense too, so let's have some informative fun with it.

Ready, set...GO!

Reactions: DKF Texas

·
Vendor
118 Posts
-Has anyone thought of a good place the stick a intercooler yet?
- Will Hahn be doing anything as far as head modification, exhaust, better intakes?

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
in the passenger seat.... oh wait .. i missed the (inter) part. :p I would think it could be combined with the radiator and just have the radiator thickened up a little. i see some room behind the radiator.... But it will become clearer when it is in front of me...

513 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ECU programming. Send the original ECU to get tuned by you guys? or...piggy back system?
In our current offerings, we utilize a variety of options, including remote programming, ECU's shipped to us, and also piggyback systems. The choice(s) we'll assign to a particular application depend on a variety of factors, mostly boiling down to which is the best choice in terms of convenience, cost and effectiveness.

That being said, we've yet to fully understand Slingshot's possible options, as we will have to examine the engine management system in greater depth in our own laboratory before we can fully quantify the possibilities. Nonetheless, the likelihoods I note above are what we expect to work from. We'll know much more soon!

513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Bill, are you better at PR or building turbo kits?
Sorry, just having fun with it.
Question.....do you do superchargers or just turbo kits?
Can't wait to see some products!
Thanks
Haha, a fun question for sure! And a good question at that...which would I be actually better at? That's a vexing one... :confused:

After some reflection, I'd offer that I am very good at PR as a direct result of our company having become quite skilled at designing and building very good product. I'm definitely from the school of "If you got it, flaunt it!" Further to my explanation, I'm obviously also a bit of a wordsmith. I did not pursue "shop" in school, but was actually an English major before I finally realized that the "starving writer" lifestyle really wasn't for me. What with the keys to high performance readily at hand, thanks to my family's longtime involvement in the field, I quickly discovered that my taste for speed could bring me considerably more thrills, and even an income, much more quickly than my literary studies were likely to :greedy:

We do dabble in supercharging, but our specialty by far is turbocharging. Each has its advantages and disadvantages, but for us, turbocharging tends to win out for the majority of our applications.

513 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
-Has anyone thought of a good place the stick a intercooler yet?
- Will Hahn be doing anything as far as head modification, exhaust, better intakes?
I can't tell you I've finalized that just yet, but once we're in, we always find an intercooler bay that suits the parameters of good airflow, as well as minimal interference with airflow to other key areas. It will also embody reasonably simple installation, with minimal (if any) modification to the vehicle proper.

We do intend to pursue normally aspirated modifications such as you mention. Once we're into that phase, I'll begin to share more details in new threads.

Reactions: fixmytoysBRYAN

·
Thank You All, You Know Who You Are!
3,685 Posts
Bill, it's my understanding that you are purchasing a SS or SL. If that isn't the case and you need one (through the winter), you could use mine. Just leave your goodies inside when you're done

513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bill, it's my understanding that you are purchasing a SS or SL. If that isn't the case and you need one (through the winter), you could use mine. Just leave your goodies inside when you're done
This is true, we are going to be proud owners of our own SS. After a life spent on potent four- and two-wheeled machines, I just can't resist the prospects of mixing the two! I have so much planned for our own unit, and some of it will be very hairy :woot:

However, we're still going to be working with others' machines too. Ours will be used for high-end development of a very potent combination, and we'll work with independent owners as well in a variety of capacities. We may well have a slot for you this winter! Please keep in touch, and thank you very much for your interest.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I'l be watching to see how things develop .This is intriguing. It will take so time to explain the need to herself .That will be artful wordsmithing .

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Reactions: dinger

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
This is true, we are going to be proud owners of our own SS. After a life spent on potent four- and two-wheeled machines, I just can't resist the prospects of mixing the two! I have so much planned for our own unit, and some of it will be very hairy :woot:

However, we're still going to be working with others' machines too. Ours will be used for high-end development of a very potent combination, and we'll work with independent owners as well in a variety of capacities. We may well have a slot for you this winter! Please keep in touch, and thank you very much for your interest.
You standard intercooler may be water /air IDK
http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/hahn-racecraft-turbosystem-q-a.1193/#post-62945

513 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Will a dual ball bearing option be available? Coming to stoplights the spin down would sound wicked.
Yes sir! We'll offer the full complement of Precision turbo units and options. We also have a sweet treat available for enhancing the turbocharger's whistle sound, more to come on this ;)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi everyone! Here's a thread for general turbocharging system questions and discussions, with the emphasis on turbocharging product that Hahn RaceCraft is developing for Slingshot. Let's consider this a round-table discussion, all are welcome, no question is too simple or too complex. While I may try to steer the conversation to our product, I also love to talk boost in a general sense too, so let's have some informative fun with it.

Ready, set...GO!
I had a Hahn Turbo installed in my SS LE. Put 350 miles on the turbo and at 100 MPH the engine threw a rod. Now, you tell me how that happened? My guess? The reprogramming of my ECM by Hahn did not provide whatever is needed to run the engine at that rate of speed or I had a defective rod that came with the renowned, and time tested GM 2.4 DOHC Eco-Tech engine. Cycle Springs of Clearwater Florida is installing a hopefully rebuilt 2.4 Eco-Tech engine and returning my engine and exhaust back to how it came from the factory. Cycle Springs has had my SS since mid December, 2015. Todays date is Monday, January 25, 2016 and I'm still waiting for my SS to be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not sure of the cost of a new/used GM Eco-Tech engine, but here is the rub: My warranty was or is not or will not be honored because, according to Noel Hughes of Cycle Springs my ECM was reprogramed by Hahn RaceCraft. The best I can hope for is for Bill Hahn of Hahn RaceCraft take back the Turbo system he installed and credit me for the price I paid to have my engine blow up. The Turbo set up from Hahn RaceCraft came complete with, header, muffler, and reprogramed ECM and therein my cost of $6,500 be credited back to me enough to pay for the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life. Why? How? I trusted Hahn RaceCraft and I lost on that throw of the dice. I will keep all members of this Forum apprised of further events as they occur regarding this ISSUE. Now, here is the paradox of this issue: Cycle Springs of Clearwater, Florida installs Hahn RaceCraft Turbos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, what am I missing here?

·
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?
2,221 Posts
I had my HAHN turbo installed April 2015 and have driven the piss out of it ever since. Redline every gear...few sets of rear tires... $700+ Super Speeder tickets. I came into it knowing that if something were to happen to the motor it wouldn't be Bill's fault. Just a known risk you take for adding forced induction.

·
WHAT HAPPENED HERE?
2,221 Posts
And mine was was the BEST money ever spent on my Slingshot!

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I had a Hahn Turbo installed in my SS LE. Put 350 miles on the turbo and at 100 MPH the engine threw a rod. Now, you tell me how that happened? My guess? The reprogramming of my ECM by Hahn did not provide whatever is needed to run the engine at that rate of speed or I had a defective rod that came with the renowned, and time tested GM 2.4 DOHC Eco-Tech engine. Cycle Springs of Clearwater Florida is installing a hopefully rebuilt 2.4 Eco-Tech engine and returning my engine and exhaust back to how it came from the factory. Cycle Springs has had my SS since mid December, 2015. Todays date is Monday, January 25, 2016 and I'm still waiting for my SS to be done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am not sure of the cost of a new/used GM Eco-Tech engine, but here is the rub: My warranty was or is not or will not be honored because, according to Noel Hughes of Cycle Springs my ECM was reprogramed by Hahn RaceCraft. The best I can hope for is for Bill Hahn of Hahn RaceCraft take back the Turbo system he installed and credit me for the price I paid to have my engine blow up. The Turbo set up from Hahn RaceCraft came complete with, header, muffler, and reprogramed ECM and therein my cost of $6,500 be credited back to me enough to pay for the biggest mistake I've ever made in my life. Why? How? I trusted Hahn RaceCraft and I lost on that throw of the dice. I will keep all members of this Forum apprised of further events as they occur regarding this ISSUE. Now, here is the paradox of this issue: Cycle Springs of Clearwater, Florida installs Hahn RaceCraft Turbos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So, what am I missing here?

I am sorry to hear that you lost an engine. No one can tell you why.... That is because there is no way to know what happened after you left Hahn's facility.

To answer the question of why Noel installs turbos from Hahn....... Its because they work perfectly and they dont give any trouble. Occasionally you will get a weird idle issue or a stumble on acceleration but overall they are just bulletproof.

1. You are missing the fact that there are probably 50+ Hahn Racecraft Slingshots on the road. All running fine.

2. You are missing the fact that there is no way that your ECU wasn't programmed correctly. Bob keeps a meticulous list of every ECU he programs and then verifies them before he unhooks from them.

3. You are missing the fact that there is only an handful of parts that make a turbo system. None of which would have let you even travel 10 miles if they were installed incorrectly.

4. Your missing the fact that turbos and superchargers are yours once you leave the building. Why would anyone expect to get their money back?

So my thought is that :

A. You may have filled up at a gas station that accidentally had low octane gas. (either the station had a mixup or you may have picked the wrong one)

B. You could have run the engine on the redline the last 50 of the 100 miles. (no one knows but you)

C. You could have found a weak spot in your engine. (many others have blown their engines)

D. You could have had an injector to stop working. (it happens all the time)

E. You could have had a spark plug to foul for some reason. ( I have had the same plugs in for 12,000 miles and they still look new)

Were you watching your AFR gauge? and if so, what was the reading when you were running 100mph?
Were you watching the boost gauge? and if so , what boost levels were you reading?

Again, I'm sorry about you loosing an engine. I have a spare in my barn just in case mine pukes one. And you can bet ill be putting the turbo back on it when the time comes to change the engine out. I have put 12,000 miles on my Hahn setup and couldn't be happier.

Reactions: Cycle Springs
1 - 20 of 59 Posts