Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I can't wait to see what you will do with the Hahn's "shop" Slingshot.

I don't know about the rest of your guys, but I would love to see a 500hp, 10 second 1/4 mile running Slingshot!

With all of your knowledge and insight in these categories, what do you think is plausible for 1/4 time?!

513 Posts
Much obliged, all!

After getting to know this forum a bit over the last few days, we've unanimously decided to come on board as a Supporting Vendor. I've found myself impressed with the structure and membership of this forum, and look forward to interacting with you all over time as our game plan takes flight regarding our Slingshot enhancements. Not since the introduction of the Pontiac Solstice in 2005 have I been this fired up over a new vehicle introduction! I am convinced that my company brings just the right mix of capability with not only automobiles, but also motorcycles, and what is Slingshot if not a fantasy amalgamation of the two!

For those who use the link in the first post above for a visit to our website, I'd like to emphasize that while the site design is somewhat outdated, we do have a brand-spanking new website in the wings about to bow, with all the bells and whistles.

We're powerfully excited about the possibilities with Slingshot, and can't wait to flex our muscles with them. I've described in some detail our intended approach on the existing thread "Hahn RaceCraft is in the Slingshot Game" in the Forced Induction forum, and I invite all who are interested in learning more to have a quick look there:

http://www.slingshotforums.com/threads/hahn-racecraft-is-in-the-slingshot-game.1033/

513 Posts
I can't wait to see what you will do with the Hahn's "shop" Slingshot.

I don't know about the rest of your guys, but I would love to see a 500hp, 10 second 1/4 mile running Slingshot!

With all of your knowledge and insight in these categories, what do you think is plausible for 1/4 time?!
Ah, yes...let's spin the dream wheel a bit together, shall we?

Crunching the numbers, if we presume for a moment that we can achieve sufficient traction, and I am confident that with our extensive background in mega-powered motorcycle drag racing, that we can do just that with a single rear wheel...then we can do some projections.

If we calculate the curb weight of 1725 lbs, add a 200 lb. driver (me!), and assume 500 engine HP, the predicted 1/4 mile ET and MPH are 9.3 seconds @ 141 MPH. For this modeling, we're assuming a driveline loss of 15%, so we expect 425 HP to make it to the rear wheel.

While these power-to weight modeling calculations are typically more consistent in predicting trap speed than ET, as many more potential variables are in play where ET is concerned, they're still amazingly accurate. When we get right down to it, there's little in this world that isn't able to be modeled mathematically, as everything is subject to the same laws of physics. Now, of course Slingshot isn't particularly aerodynamic, so that's a potential bogey. But all things considered, even if we do give up a bit to efficiencies of traction and aero, I believe we can still expect a nine-second ET from a 500 HP Slingshot, provided proper attention is given to power and traction management. That's where our solid portfolio in not only making, but also controlling and applying, this kind of power through a single rear wheel will come into play.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
That would be incredible. At first I was thinking anything under 11 seconds would be pretty special. 10 seconds or less would be mind boggling. Looking forward to seeing what can be achieved!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Welcome, Bill.

...if we presume for a moment that we can achieve sufficient traction, and I am confident that with our extensive background in mega-powered motorcycle drag racing, that we can do just that with a single rear wheel...
Not to be a wet blanket, but a bike has a short wheelbase and high CG, allowing essentially 100% of the weight to be transferred to the rear tire.

The SS is the exact opposite, with a long wheelbase and low CG, as well as only about a third of the vehicle on the rear tire to start with.

I don't see how these issues can be feasibly overcome.

513 Posts
Welcome, Bill.

Not to be a wet blanket, but a bike has a short wheelbase and high CG, allowing essentially 100% of the weight to be transferred to the rear tire.

The SS is the exact opposite, with a long wheelbase and low CG, as well as only about a third of the vehicle on the rear tire to start with.

I don't see how these issues can be feasibly overcome.
I like your thinking! Analytical and unafraid, the best kind. Yet, I suspect you may not have been exposed to some of our more incisive work in this arena.

Have a look at this machine. Compared to the standard motorcycle characteristics you describe, this one has a comparatively low CG, a very long wheelbase, and about 1/3 of its weight on the rear tire. Care to venture a guess as to its prowess in the 1/4 mile? 6.83 seconds @ 210 MPH, and on a relatively diminutive street-treaded tire.

Now, while I am stopping well short of a direct comparison between this machine and Slingshot, I am going to confidently offer that the same techniques and technology which empower this kind of capability will transfer directly to Slingshot. I'm just the man to do it :)

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Nothing would make me happier than driving through good ole Scottsdale, AZ and blowing the doors off of a rich man's newly purchased Ferrari. :p

HE GONE>>>>!!! :watching:

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
I like your thinking! Analytical and unafraid, the best kind. Yet, I suspect you may not have been exposed to some of our more incisive work in this arena.

Have a look at this machine. Compared to the standard motorcycle characteristics you describe, this one has a comparatively low CG, a very long wheelbase, and about 1/3 of its weight on the rear tire. Care to venture a guess as to its prowess in the 1/4 mile? 6.83 seconds @ 210 MPH, and on a relatively diminutive street-treaded tire.

Now, while I am stopping well short of a direct comparison between this machine and Slingshot, I am going to confidently offer that the same techniques and technology which empower this kind of capability will transfer directly to Slingshot. I'm just the man to do it :)

By the way, the bike sure has an awesome ankle warmer! You better launch and get your feet back in a very quick manner. :nailbiting:

513 Posts
By the way, the bike sure has an awesome ankle warmer! You better launch and get your feet back in a very quick manner. :nailbiting:
Better believe it! We get our feet to the footpegs as soon as possible. :woot:

Reactions: TravAZ
513 Posts
Welcome Bill! Crazy to see you here. Seeing your name brings back memories back when we were all wrenching on the 4G63
( don't miss the crank walk!) and of course cant forget about Brent Rau!
Oh, the memories! Thanks for the warm welcome. I was always a fan of Brent, his early work with his Eclipse was seminal in the sport-compact drag world. We had the rare pleasure of dealing him a loss with a car we secretly nicknamed "The Humiliator" for its giant-killing reputation, chewing up the likes of not only Brent, but also its fair share of Corvettes, Vipers, and others.

It was none other than our street Neon, capable of mid-10 second 1/4 miles at 140 MPH almost 15 years ago, such a stunning machine that not only did it grace the pages of Hot Rod Magazine, which was quite an accomplishment for a front-driver...it also made their Ten Most Significant retrospective that they hand out at the end of every year. We were humbled, honored, and very proud.

Here's Brent getting that Hahn Neon love (click for vid):

513 Posts
lol nice! Damn I still had a full head of hair last time I saw Brents car not tubed and white!!
LOL! I still have the hair, but the deep brown luster has definitely left the building. I like to call the current color "chrome" :eek:ldman:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts