Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After watching the teaser video it looks as though the Slingshot is getting a manual transmission. If that's the case, what transmission do you think it will be?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The AR-5 is a 5-speed manual transmission manufactured by Aisin. It is designed for longitudinal engine applications and can handle up to 260 ft·lbf (353 N·m) of torque based on existing applications. [1]

General Motors used the AR-5 as RPO MA5.

Gear ratios (Canyon, Colorado, H3):

12345R
Gear ratios (Sky, Solstice):

12345R
Gear ratios (Isuzu Trooper):

12345R
Applications:

·
Registered
76 Posts
The AR-5 is a 5-speed manual transmission manufactured by Aisin. It is designed for longitudinal engine applications and can handle up to 260 ft·lbf (353 N·m) of torque based on existing applications. [1]

General Motors used the AR-5 as RPO MA5.

Gear ratios (Canyon, Colorado, H3):

12345R
Gear ratios (Sky, Solstice):

12345R
Gear ratios (Isuzu Trooper):

12345R
Applications:

While this may be the transmission used in this thing, I was still hoping to put in a higher quality model. Still holding my breath for a Honda powered Slingshot. I didn't like the Solstice/ Sky very well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
While this may be the transmission used in this thing, I was still hoping to put in a higher quality model. Still holding my breath for a Honda powered Slingshot. I didn't like the Solstice/ Sky very well.
100000000000% agreed... I drove my Elise to the Saturn dealer because the guy told me "You'll dump that foreign crap when you try this car out" and I liked the redline look well enough to believe him. Boy was I wrong. :mad:

American engine power enthusiasm < Japanese small engine power enthusiasm - and it's VERY real in driving dynamics. Drove the Chevy powered Atom and it sucked giant tyrannosaur ass compared to the Honda powered one... now that's a huge margin considering displacement. HUGE disappointment... My biggest fear when I became emotionally enthralled by the vids and concept was the talk of a GM engine. I kept hearing, "BRRRRR BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" :rolleyes:

HOWEVER - I will say this. If the Slingshot has a WHATEVER drivetrain, but maximizes it with a great tranny mate, weight reduction and fantastic steering geometry, they'll have a winner.

·
Registered
76 Posts
100000000000% agreed... I drove my Elise to the Saturn dealer because the guy told me "You'll dump that foreign crap when you try this car out" and I liked the redline look well enough to believe him. Boy was I wrong. :mad:

American engine power enthusiasm < Japanese small engine power enthusiasm - and it's VERY real in driving dynamics. Drove the Chevy powered Atom and it sucked giant tyrannosaur ass compared to the Honda powered one... now that's a huge margin considering displacement. HUGE disappointment... My biggest fear when I became emotionally enthralled by the vids and concept was the talk of a GM engine. I kept hearing, "BRRRRR BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" :rolleyes:

HOWEVER - I will say this. If the Slingshot has a WHATEVER drivetrain, but maximizes it with a great tranny mate, weight reduction and fantastic steering geometry, they'll have a winner.
My thoughts exactly. I agree with you, and the Elise is a fantastic car with its Toyota power, btw. But where it gets even more interesting? The 2.4 Ecotec supposedly going into the Slingshot has been discontinued. Hmm..

·
Registered
167 Posts
Maybe a different one then, I've read a 2.0 turbo, 2.5 caddy engine, and even a 1.0 Ford for this thing. One never can tell!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Maybe a different one then, I've read a 2.0 turbo, 2.5 caddy engine, and even a 1.0 Ford for this thing. One never can tell!
Yeah, the patent images show the 2.4 Ecotec. Which is why it's confusing. The tachometer also shows a redline at 6250 rpm, which is evident of an Ecotec.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Someone's going to drop a Honda S2000 motor in this thing and a 315 tire on the rear and... well... yeah...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts