1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay nobody's playing Pikes Peak

faster motorcyle 1205cc Carlin Dunne Ducati Multistrada 1200 2012 9:52.819

faster car France Sébastien Loeb Peugeot 208 T16 2013 8:13.878

what do you think the slingshot will do on Pikes Peak?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Dang I didn't see this soon enough! Carlin beat my record at Pikes Peak in 2013 on an electric motorcycle. I think he ended up going 10:0X. I had the previous record in my RZR-X with a 10:40. I ran last year in Unlimited with Sebastien and he crushed us and the record. He had a $20MM race budget and I built my car in my garage. I didn't end up getting the slicks I needed in time so I had to run my rain tires. They started chunking about to miles in and then I had an oil line leak from my turbo that sprayed my rear tire and caused a spin out towards the top. Even with all that drama I still managed a 11:04. It sill bums me out because I know my car has a 9 minute run in it.

It will all depend on the final horsepower to weight ratio of the Slingshot and if it's an NA motor. The first year I ran my Polaris RZR-S at the Peak I ran a 14:03. That was with a 900cc big bore kit and a turbo. The course was also half dirt then as well.

The weight of my RZR-S was about 1,300 lbs and it made 120 hp at the flywheel. So that would be a hp to weight ratio of 10.8 pounds per horsepower. We could probably make some estimations as to what the Slingshot hp to weight will be to get a rough idea.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4 nines, I really enjoyed your report. Pikes Peak is an amazing experience. People hike it, cycle it, run it, and lastly try to beat it in some kind of vehicle. What is amazing is the temperature change from 8000 to 14000 feet.

One of my favorite advertizements is when the Land Rover is racing to the top, they get a time, then it goes off road right by my avatar picture down the mountain. Very cool.

I am really interested in seeing a slingshot attempt this. The big engineering question will the slingshot be front wheel or rear wheel drive?

Since you have successfully done this. What would you like to see? Congrads on your times, I am very interested in what you think of the slingshot with all of your experience. I am going to learn alot from you.

Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Haven't been to Pike's Peak in years, but I've spent alot of time there doing altitude testing with various vehicle manufacturer's. Most fun was Harley-Davidson Electra Glides. Amazing how much fun it was to run those things up and down the mountain with their low CG and bottom end torque.

We used to love getting first timers out there and not a year went by that we couldn't trick someone into a race from the parking lot to the restaurant......last one in buys the donuts (at 14,000+feet of altitude)

I heard they quit making the donuts out there.....is that true?

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Yeah even though the race is typically held in late June the race goes through all four seasons as you go up. I've started at the bottom with 90+ summer temps and finished at the top in less than 13 minutes with snow. It's a wild experience!

From the patent drawings it looks like it will be RWD. I'm going to test different tire compounds and I bet a super sticky tire will make the Slingshot handle like it's on rails :)

·
Premium Member
1,108 Posts
Haven't been to Pike's Peak in years, but I've spent alot of time there doing altitude testing with various vehicle manufacturer's. Most fun was Harley-Davidson Electra Glides. Amazing how much fun it was to run those things up and down the mountain with their low CG and bottom end torque.

We used to love getting first timers out there and not a year went by that we couldn't trick someone into a race from the parking lot to the restaurant......last one in buys the donuts (at 14,000+feet of altitude)

I heard they quit making the donuts out there.....is that true?
That's really cool! Were you working directly with Harley Davidson at the time?

Haha I know all about those donuts! So much so that I mentioned them in my post race interview:

They still have the donuts up there as far as I know :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was there in sept 13, still had the donuts then!

But more important, you are guessing rwd, wow, I am all in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
That's really cool! Were you working directly with Harley Davidson at the time?

Haha I know all about those donuts! So much so that I mentioned them in my post race interview:

They still have the donuts up there as far as I know :)
Yes, I worked for a H-D supplier back then. Seems like a lifetime ago (20 years) I had also gone on what we called Hot Fuel & Altitude test trips with Ford working for same supplier.

I'm going to have to get back out there again some time...not for the donuts, but I'll definitely have some if/when I get there.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well it sure beat the hell out of going to the office everyday. The Ford deal was fun, but the Harley trips were awesome. I've ridden Harleys (some of them my own) in 43 of the 50 states. I'm looking forward to retiring so I can pick up the other 50. One of those is Alaska, so I'll have to fly up there and rent a bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts