Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am one of five admins in a Facebook Group for Slingshot owners in New England. We plan and organize group rides for members and guests. I am looking for any information or advice on personal liability of the admins of the club/group. Do we have to worry about that? Do we need to have all the members/riders sign waivers? Does anyone have a waiver template? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I've been on a few rides that were just loosely organized here on the forums and no one mentioned it.

Going to the bigger events, like Homepage will have you sign a waiver, but to be honest, I didn't read it too closely, it wasn't going to stop me from enjoying the event.

My guess is legally you may need to protect yourself, but it may also be in how you word the info.

"I'll be at the QuikTrip at I-10 and Meadowlark at 10am, heading up to Mt. McKinley on Rt1" vs "Group ride, meet at 10am and follow me"

A lawyer may have other input as well.

Just my $0.02 worth

·
Registered
57 Posts
The basis of liability is basically if someone relies on your advice and is injured because your advice was faulty. If you are offering an opportunity to ride with others, you are not telling anyone what to do or how to do it. While anyone can sue for anything, most lawyers would not take a case against someone who just says “hey, lets all ride to xxx this weekend.” Organizing a more ambitious event, with “official” ride leaders who are “in charge,” might be a little more risky, but I think even then the risk is low. Most injury would likely occur in an on-road collision, in which case the operators of the vehicles involved (and their insurance carriers) would be the responsible parties.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Ringmic,
Most liability waivers are not worth the paper they are printed/signed on. Plainly, they are low budget attempts at a binding contract. They are often dismissed in court.
Simply, waivers are a small deterrent/hope that the lawsuite happy people of the World, leave you out of any bogus claim.
For a waiver to even be binding and heard in civil court . They have to be determined as valid by said court. The contract author has the burden to prove:

1) The waiver was written in good faith/truth and is reasonable and understandable.
2)Prove who actually signed the said waiver/contract..
3)That the person who signed the waiver was in sound mind and FULLY understood the total impact of the said waiver/contract.

WW

·
Registered
326 Posts
Addition:
4)Waiver must NOT be signed UNDER DURESS. This means that the person(s) signing the waiver must have sufficient TIME BEFOREHAND of the activity to FULLY UNDERSTAND the ramifications of what they are signing. In the case of ANY DANGEROUS activity courts may rule that the minimum time is 24 hours up to 30 days. It is like all legal things a crapshoot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts