Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hola,

Just put a deposit down at Team Mancuso Powersports Gulf Freeway.

I'm 43, married with one kid. I had a pretty bad motorcycle wreck in 2009 that got me a very expensive helicopter ride and 8 titanium screws bracing a 4 vertebra fusion. But pity me not, I'm doing great... Just ran 8 miles this morning and will be doing the Houston Marathon in January.

Been riding a 2008 Spyder for a while. It was a compromise vehicle with the wife. Safer than a two wheeler but still kinda fun. The Spyder has been a bit underwhelming. The heat on my right foot in Houston summer traffic is awful. I did the heat mods suggested on the forum and at least it no longer melts by sole off my boot but it is still painful. Plus the Can Am proprietary electronics ticked me off more than a little. $200 for a wrench monkey to use their proprietary software to troubleshoot error codes? I've got way more experience troubleshooting complex systems from my day job than most mechanics. I contacted BRP several times about getting access to the data protocol and they never responded. I made some headway reverse engineering it but eventually gave up. So in short, Can Am has been OK but the cons are outweighing the pros. I will put it on the market this weekend.

So I have been waiting for Can Am to put the new triple engine in the RS model that they added to the RT model in 2014. But unfortunately they chose to use their engineering time to make the Spyder F3. F3 may be great for some folks but I am not a cruiser guy, I'm an engineer. I prefer function to trump form and that feet forward riding position of the F3 is not for me.

So after a little research on the slingshot, I decided that I liked it enough to put down a deposit to hold my place in line. And since I am getting three different inheritances from 5 deaths in the last year, I decided what better way to honor the memories and generosity of my departed family than to have some fun while I'm on this side of the grass. So after the kid's college is taken care of, some of that inheritance is going into a slingshot (assuming it does not suck when I test it).

I actually like the base model a bit more. The red paint is snazzy but I like the base wheels better and I certainly don't want the infotainment system. I like my current infotainment system I have with my phone and Sena bluetooth intercoms. Plus a factor infotainment system is almost always a worse deal and less featured than an aftermarket system. If time allows from my day job I'll probably build some kind of infotainment system on my own.

That's about it, I'll go do some research and contribute to other threads. Here's hoping to sooner rather than later delivery.

David

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I also went with the grey and placed a down payment in August at Lufkin Power Sports

·
Registered
95 Posts
Welcome to the forum and congrats on getting in line for the SS. I'm moving to 3-wheels in a big way, from my big German bike... Slingshot this fall, a Spyder F3 in the spring, if I can convince myself that I can turn it into a touring machine. I need a feet-forward position on the Spyder, as the RT and ST riding geometry just doesn't fit me, though I do enjoy riding my wife's Spyder occasionally. I'm with you on the SS wheels - we have an SL on order - figure the red would be a little more visible to other drivers, but I would probably prefer the base model's wheels for every day riding and trips to the Hill Country.

·
Super Moderator
5,848 Posts
Hola,

Just put a deposit down at Team Mancuso Powersports Gulf Freeway.

I'm 43, married with one kid. I had a pretty bad motorcycle wreck in 2009 that got me a very expensive helicopter ride and 8 titanium screws bracing a 4 vertebra fusion. But pity me not, I'm doing great... Just ran 8 miles this morning and will be doing the Houston Marathon in January.

Been riding a 2008 Spyder for a while. It was a compromise vehicle with the wife. Safer than a two wheeler but still kinda fun. The Spyder has been a bit underwhelming. The heat on my right foot in Houston summer traffic is awful. I did the heat mods suggested on the forum and at least it no longer melts by sole off my boot but it is still painful. Plus the Can Am proprietary electronics ticked me off more than a little. $200 for a wrench monkey to use their proprietary software to troubleshoot error codes? I've got way more experience troubleshooting complex systems from my day job than most mechanics. I contacted BRP several times about getting access to the data protocol and they never responded. I made some headway reverse engineering it but eventually gave up. So in short, Can Am has been OK but the cons are outweighing the pros. I will put it on the market this weekend.

So I have been waiting for Can Am to put the new triple engine in the RS model that they added to the RT model in 2014. But unfortunately they chose to use their engineering time to make the Spyder F3. F3 may be great for some folks but I am not a cruiser guy, I'm an engineer. I prefer function to trump form and that feet forward riding position of the F3 is not for me.

So after a little research on the slingshot, I decided that I liked it enough to put down a deposit to hold my place in line. And since I am getting three different inheritances from 5 deaths in the last year, I decided what better way to honor the memories and generosity of my departed family than to have some fun while I'm on this side of the grass. So after the kid's college is taken care of, some of that inheritance is going into a slingshot (assuming it does not suck when I test it).

I actually like the base model a bit more. The red paint is snazzy but I like the base wheels better and I certainly don't want the infotainment system. I like my current infotainment system I have with my phone and Sena bluetooth intercoms. Plus a factor infotainment system is almost always a worse deal and less featured than an aftermarket system. If time allows from my day job I'll probably build some kind of infotainment system on my own.

That's about it, I'll go do some research and contribute to other threads. Here's hoping to sooner rather than later delivery.

David

·
Registered
541 Posts
Welcome David
Like the Can Am the SlingShot needs a special Polaris wrench to run any codes from the OBD2 port. Good news there's members who think an adapter can be made to fit the port so people can work on it and do some fine tuning. There's also vendors that will be working on this problem. I think this will have to be accomplished so turbos and superchargers can be installed. I could be totally wrong on this last part. Hope so because I plan on having a Turbo installed ln my SS.
Glad you came out on top of your accident.
Enjoy the SS when you get it.
I also can't ride motorcycles like you.
This is why the Polaris SlingShot is going to be a prayer answered from Heaven.

·
Registered
4,748 Posts
When I was growing up, all my brothers and sister would be outside playing and I'd be inside reading a book. I never enjoyed exercise except for Unit PT while in the Army, but recently started trying to get some exercise as I approach my 62nd birthday. 30 minutes on the treadmill still tires me out, but I decided I needed to do something since if I drop one of my bikes, I need assistance getting it back on its wheels and they're both relatively light weight (under 500 lbs). Of course, one bad shoulder and a bad wrist doesn't help.
I had told my Wife I'd get a Mini if I could no longer ride, but now I've got a deposit on a Slingshot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts