Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Sema on Friday and spent some time checking out the SS in the Kicker booth.

According to one of the reps, Kicker will have their own SS very soon and will be working on developing audio items for Slingshot. They have some great products that will work well with the SS. Im really looking forward to what they will put together.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Kickers are great! I just hope they will work on a system for the base model and not just replacement speakers for the SL!

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like they will do a complete build. So, I would guess they will have both options. We talked for quite some time about using something like below, but with more compact pods that fit the SS.

This amp/controller now has Bluetooth and other amps can link plug in if additional power is needed. This will work awesome for the SS!

http://www.kicker.com/PXiBT502

Reactions: jdskycaster

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Already have all the JL equipment stacked in corner of bedroom. Little bit more than 1000 watts of JL amps. 10 JL speakers and JL Cleansweep Line converters and combiners.

At least while its cold ill be busy hooking stuff up. I also run 2 batteries and an isolator. I have near the same setup on my Spyder RT.

Reactions: BatSlinger

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I don't see 25w per channel being enough in the SS.
Agree captain! I just purchased a Harley boom audio radio and now I'm trying to find speakers and amp to push it.

I don't want to vibrate the cars next to me but I do want to be able to hear it!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I'm going to experiment with the Harley boom radio 4.3" screen before I invest in the large GPS model touch screen. From what I can determine, I may be able to put in a GPS module into this very radio. The dimensions are basically the same as the SL radio.

I will install an amp and then go to four speakers but waiting on the actual speakers until I get the machine and determine mounting locations. I know they make some shallow install speakers that may be able to mount to the rear wall just above the cupholders. Then some 6 1/2 inch speakers either on the exposed frame sides or somewhere in the foot well area.

Most of us with a base model will have this is our first accessory install.

Reactions: CPT HOOK

·
Registered
532 Posts
I'm going to experiment with the Harley boom radio 4.3" screen before I invest in the large GPS model touch screen. From what I can determine, I may be able to put in a GPS module into this very radio. The dimensions are basically the same as the SL radio.

I will install an amp and then go to four speakers but waiting on the actual speakers until I get the machine and determine mounting locations. I know they make some shallow install speakers that may be able to mount to the rear wall just above the cupholders. Then some 6 1/2 inch speakers either on the exposed frame sides or somewhere in the foot well area.

Most of us with a base model will have this is our first accessory install.
Painter
Looking forward to your installation and how it works out. I definitely want a GPS system installed in my SS.
Would like person to person communication with our helmets.
Would be nice if there was a way to talk to other SS owners while driving. Thinking day rides or longer.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Painter
Looking forward to your installation and how it works out. I definitely want a GPS system installed in my SS.
Would like person to person communication with our helmets.
Would be nice if there was a way to talk to other SS owners while driving. Thinking day rides or longer.
When I actually get the SS and drive it I will have a better idea how difficult it is to hear the passenger. The boom audio has attachments for headset communication if one would need that. I don't usually wear a helmet so that part is really important to me but would be to others.

I'm working with the 4.3 screen because many are available as Harley riders upgrade to the larger GPS model and can be purchased for very reasonable prices. When I install it I will try to document everything that I am doing and post it on this Thread. I was lucky to purchase a brand-new take off for $160!

·
Vendor
2,216 Posts
I also spoke with a few people at the Kicker booth during SEMA. They indicated to me that they had the Slingshot for a short time and were simply doing a "custom" install for an upcoming advertising promo. I asked them if they had plans to launch a "prebuilt" enclosure to install in one of the storage compartments behind the seats... they said it depended on consumer demand.

·
Registered
791 Posts
I'll be interested to see if the SL system will do with just the addition of a small JL amp and small sub somewhere.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I also spoke with a few people at the Kicker booth during SEMA. They indicated to me that they had the Slingshot for a short time and were simply doing a "custom" install for an upcoming advertising promo. I asked them if they had plans to launch a "prebuilt" enclosure to install in one of the storage compartments behind the seats... they said it depended on consumer demand.
Nice, Let me know as soon as you get some more info

·
Registered
494 Posts
The Factory system is 400W max not RMS, this means about 100W RMS per side. Which is some pretty good output for factory stuff.

I have some MC amps that put out 400W RMS and it is 4"x5.5"x1.5" this will give us 200W per side and we are going to need all of it to have clean, clear and LOUD music at 70-90 MPH

Factory stereo does not have preamps out. We're going to have to utilize the high side for our amplifier. We are not going to know how clean the factory amp is until we get our hands on one.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Great to see so many options on the audio side for the SS. I will hold off on my base SS until I get a better idea of how much I would actually listen. Of course if you have tunes installed they will get used so I will eventually install some type of system. The Kicker option looks nice and something simple and basic like that will fit the bill for me. Although the dude blasting tunes into the back of his head while mowing grass won't have much hearing left after a season or two. :)

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I use the M400 JL Marine grade amps. They are excellent at delivering clean sharp sound. And you can drive them with the speaker level inputs if you want to. You also have the ability to setup the crossovers in the amp anyway you want. And the remote volume can control just the rear or all the outputs. They are pricey. But well worth the money.

Reactions: Painter

·
Registered
50 Posts
Already have all the JL equipment stacked in corner of bedroom. Little bit more than 1000 watts of JL amps. 10 JL speakers and JL Cleansweep Line converters and combiners.

At least while its cold ill be busy hooking stuff up. I also run 2 batteries and an isolator. I have near the same setup on my Spyder RT.
Good Lord, you going to have a trailer pulling all that gear :)

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
speaker6.jpg
speaker7.jpg

speaker12.jpg
speaker13.jpg
speaker15.jpg
speaker21.jpg
speaker22.jpg
speaker24.jpg

speaker6.jpg

speaker7.jpg

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
I think this is a video of an Audiobahn 10 that I was testing out. I run a JL sub all the time now. I was actually just trying to kill the sub. Unfortunately I never did kill it. You can't tell the bass is clear and low because it just rattles and splatters the microphone on the phone so it ends up sounding like crap .I promise you in person its staggering how much bass and how clear all the components come together. You also have to remember bass in non directional. So with the trunk cover shut it doesn't matter. You still feel the bass. I will say that after your past 10mph you won't feel or hear it. Its good for showing off and its good for the beach. I have the sub where you can pull it out and recover the space in the trunk when we go on trips. My 4 speakers are really good are reproducing highs, mids, and some bass. so I don't have to have the sub. Now on the slingshot the subs will be behind the seat so Im thinking we will be able to feels them going down the road.

Reactions: Painter

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
These are the speakers I have tried in the past in the spyder. They are ok. But none are as good as the JL
IMG_20140923_172733.jpg

This is the isolator that I run to separate the batteries on the spyder. I never have a dead cranking battery.
IMG_20140930_113813.JPG

I run a marine grade JL M400 amp for my 4 speakers on the spyder. I run this XD300 Mono amp to my sub. I have one of these for the slingshots subs also.
IMG_20141002_204203.JPG

Reactions: Mike Mtl
1 - 20 of 28 Posts