Polaris Slingshot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For business reasons I had to cancel going to the Oklahoma State Fair to take some pics and see this eluvisive beast myself.

I called the Polaris area rep that the promotions company that is doing this pre-sale promotions tour turned me on to for permission to photo and measure the SS and told him I would not be in OKC. and to let the guys know I was not coming

He called me back a couple of hours later and said they had one they needed to get a small repair to the tilt steering latch done at one of the dealers and could I come up there to take my pics. Can I??? Can I??? Hell yes I can!!! Just tell me when. We made plans to meet at 3:00 PM in McKinney, TX.

Mike told me after I met him up there That seeing as how he had to go ahead and load it up on the trailer he went ahead and drove it around to several of the area Polaris dealers that are going to get the opportunity to sell the slingshot, so that the staffs and Service guys could get a look at it.

Let me tell you, this Polaris rep Mike M. Is a serious gear head and racer. He owns, wrenches and drives several road race cars. He took the time to answer my questions with an Insite that only a man who has spent a lot of time behind the wheel of a race car could.

We are still working on my customers issues, but are very close to having them back up and running, I will do a complete write up later to day and post the pic's.

BTW, there was a biker Rally and fund raiser at this dealership yesterday and when Mike pulled up with this SS they were all over the SS like ants on a piece of hard candy. With the exception of one old grouchy (non poser) biker, they loved it. Several of them that are getting up in age like myself, Said they had been looking for the next alternative that would keep them on the road but with a safer platform (my words, not their's), But were not enamored with either the Harley trike or the Can AM.

My basic impression of this beast is that this is a Hi-tech, Old School Roadster. This is something Caroll Shelby would have done and been proud of. Make no mistake, this is about performance, not creature comforts and they did good.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Looking forward to the full report and specifically one picture that might have a bunch of numbers and letters in it ;)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sounds great. Can't wait. Thanks for taking the time doing this endeavor. Looking forward to the post.
Thanks from the forum as a whole. Everyone will be all over it.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tires
Mike said that every major tire manufacture in America was given the opportunity to build tires for the slingshot. All but Kenda declined because of the lack of experience in building a rear tires for a reverse trike With this combination of weight on the rear tire and horsepower and torque. He said with this type of swingarm configuration there are you unique stresses on the sidewall of the tire not experienced by a car or a motorcycle.

I asked him about using a sticky stiff sidewall track tire on the rear. He said we would gain some traction, but run the risk of a blowout on any extended use on the street.

This will be a decision we will all have to make and live with the results good or bad.
He said this tire was designed from the ground up for the SS. It is not a rebranded car tire and the rear is a very sticky compound.

Exhaust
He is buying two of these SS's and he would not come out and say it, but from his comments, the exhaust will be the first thing he changes. The only negative comment He had the whole time was for the exhaust.

Cockpit
There is more room in the cockpit that I expected.
Getting in and out was no issue and I am not a little guy
Petal placement is just fine, plenty of room.
I will put some rubber covers on the petals

Added luggage attachments
The T-Bag placements I had been working on will not work in the fender location. I need to start a completely new approach.
But having seen it now I have a couple of new ideas

Stereo
The factory stereo is a 400W max unit, which is pretty decent for a factory unit. That means the factory speakers are either 2 ohm or even 1 ohm (not so good)

Storage
The rear storage units Are bigger in real life than they are in the photos

Hauling the SS
A tilt sliding bed trailer is the best option, but Some creative ways with your ramps will probably overcome any problems with existing trailers

Performance
0 to 60 times for your average guy that just stomped the throttle will be in the 5.5 range. Guys that really understand how to launch a vehicle will be able to put this in the five flat range give or take a little bit

Ask him what his best comparison to what the ride is like from a performance standpoint it. He asked if I had ever driven a 60s or 70s big block musclecar, No traction till about 40 to 50 MPH and then hold on.

I will put the pics up when I get home, just got confirmation that my customers back up and running

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Thanks Sloride, really good info.
Don't know what to make of those comments about 'unique stresses' on the rear tire though. Sounds like sales talk to me unless they can explain the physics of why that is.

Keep up with the great info!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks Sloride, really good info.
Don't know what to make of those comments about 'unique stresses' on the rear tire though. Sounds like sales talk to me unless they can explain the physics of why that is.
I agree - the only thing that comes to mind is that the rear wheel is taking twice the lateral load in hard cornering compared to two wheels in the back. I wouldn't think it would see very different loading than the rear tire on a Spyder, other than the heavier weight of the SS.

On a related note, I hope Kenda learned from their 2014 Spyder experience. They switched to a softer compound and those tires had miserable life. They had to switch back to a harder compound.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Except that a car cornering REALLY hard has almost all the load on the outside tire. Lots of cars actually lift the inside rear when taken to the limit. The SS only has a fraction of the weight on the rear compared to a car so what's the problem? This is essentially a car tire, not a MC tire.

I'm calling BS on Polaris' claim of 'special stresses' on the SS rear tire.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Except that a car cornering REALLY hard has almost all the load on the outside tire. Lots of cars actually lift the inside rear when taken to the limit. The SS only has a fraction of the weight on the rear compared to a car so what's the problem? This is essentially a car tire, not a MC tire.

I'm calling BS on Polaris' claim of 'special stresses' on the SS rear tire.
I don't know, Mike did not seem concerned about changing the front tires, he was very emphatic about running a different rear tire on the street.

Time will tell

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
I don't know, Mike did not seem concerned about changing the front tires, he was very emphatic about running a different rear tire on the street.

Time will tell
After thinking about it, my guess is that their concern is handling, not destruction of the rear tire. A reverse trike is probably much more critical about balance of traction between front and rear than a car. This may not bode well for those wanting to put larger or stickier tires on the rear.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dang...forgot the most important part.

Delivery:

End of Qct. Or first week of Nov.

He was very certain they will not be coming any sooner.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Great Photos! Answered a lot of questions and your comments were helpful too!!! Thanks a lot!

Just jeleous that you get to see one in person!

Still late Oct delivery, .......... that is a bummer !

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
So SR, please tell us your overall impressions and initial thoughts.
This is an old-school open top roadster with high-tech technology. If Polaris had to follow the criteria cars have to follow in production, This would be 2 to 3 times more expensive. It is technically a motorcycle, but sitting in it, you do not get that feeling at all.

From just sitting in it, It has more of a feeling of a AC cobra or a TR6.

It was not designed for creature comforts, it was designed for performance, although it's not Uncomfortable vehicle, I do think it's more comfortable than the early AC's I've rode in.

Personally at my age I can't see any extended touring in this SS, Then again I don't do anything over 5 to 6 hours on my Harley anymore either. I have a trailer for it, for the long trips and I will have a trailer for the slingshot. You younger guys will have a lot more tolerance for longer trips.

Safety regulations have eliminated the open top, low to the ground, light weight, bare bones, make you smile, powerful roadster.

Polaris just brought it back and I cannot wait to get mine.

Last but not least, talking with Mike, he talked about how competitive the Powersports market is and how secretive they have to be to keep a competitive edge.

I really appreciated Mike and Polaris making the effort to meet with me and help share a little info on the SS

BTW...they monitor this forum very closely. They care, but are not willing to take a chance on the competition finding any useful info. Whether the threat is real or perceived they believe it is real, And operate as such

I'm okay with that.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts